M 9 shutter actuations

masterpaulie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been trying to figure out the shutter actuations on my M9. I'm selling it and buyers always ask how many shots have been taken. My camera is barely 2 years old and I probably haven't taken more than 2000 shots on it, if that much.

So I get the "unique photo id" from the last image I did and the number is 699124, with lots of zeros in front of it. I put it in the hex conversion calculator and get 6918436! Did I do something wrong because there's no way I've taken that many shots.

Can anyone help me out here?

I've been trying to figure out the shutter actuations on my M9. I'm selling it and buyers always ask how many shots have been taken. My camera is barely 2 years old and I probably haven't taken more than 2000 shots on it, if that much.

So I get the "unique photo id" from the last image I did and the number is 699124, with lots of zeros in front of it. I put it in the hex conversion calculator and get 6918436! Did I do something wrong because there's no way I've taken that many shots.

Can anyone help me out here?

See post number 6.

"Search function".....why didn't I think of that????

I've used every search engine, suggestion, calculator, hexadecimal calculator, software and so on mentioned in these posts. Not to mention numerous searches I've done elsewhere.

I'm simply asking, given the figures I've listed in my posting, the number that I continue to get, almost 7,000,000 seems a bit ridiculous. I've used the camera only a handful of times.

Can someone else use the numbers and try a calculation to see if they get the same result. I've got to be doing something wrong.

Thanks, in advance, to anyone who can help out.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

More seriously, there is something odd about your unique image ID. My Leica files seem to consist of loads of zeros and only four 'digits' (numbers and letters) at the end.:confused:

Did you buy your camera new? 700,000 shots does sound a lot but maybe the previous owner (if it was indeed bought secondhand) used the camera for stop motion animation or just liked firing the shutter?

• Like 1

I bought it new from Adorama just in 2013. I don't know why the "240" there. On my M8, the unique photo ID was much like the others posted here: couple of numbers, couple of letters and I used the Hex converter without any problems.

But I was very surprised to see the number on this M9. Maybe I need to send it into Leica to see if there is an electronics problem.

I happen to own an M (Typ 240). It has a serial number which is lower than the serial number shown in your EXIF above, the firsts three digits reading "444".

Are you quite certain yours is an M9 and not an M (Typ 240) as identified by the M9Info program?

Please excuse if you already know that. The successor to the M8 was the M9. The successor to the M9 is the M (Typ 240). You can determine the number of shutter actuations quite easily for both the M8 and the M9. No one here in the forum knows how to determine the number of shutter actuations for the M (Typ 240), and it's not for lack of trying. The unique image ID you found in your camera would be consistent with one to be expected in an M, not an M9.

In brief, it appears that you got yourself an M (Typ 240) and not an M9.

Do you know how to tell one from the other, or would you like some assistance?

• Like 1

"Search function".....why didn't I think of that????

I've used every search engine, suggestion, calculator, hexadecimal calculator, software and so on mentioned in these posts. Not to mention numerous searches I've done elsewhere.

I'm simply asking, given the figures I've listed in my posting, the number that I continue to get, almost 7,000,000 seems a bit ridiculous. I've used the camera only a handful of times.

Can someone else use the numbers and try a calculation to see if they get the same result. I've got to be doing something wrong.

Thanks, in advance, to anyone who can help out.

Could you post a photo of the camera in question?

I think that would be very helpful

Could you post a photo of the camera in question?

I think that would be very helpful

Actually, a photo of the rear side (with the screen, the buttons and possibly the socket for the EVF2) and one of the top plate would be more useful than one showing the front, I think.

Thank you so much for your help! I'd ordered an M9 and was on a wait list for about a year and a half. So much time had passed that I thought that was just the design for the M9.

Well, I can honestly say to a potential buyer that I don't have clue what the shutter count is.

Thank you , thank you, thank you! I feel like such an idiot! I'm glad to finally get to the bottom of it!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thank you so much for your help! I'd ordered an M9 and was on a wait list for about a year and a half. So much time had passed that I thought that was just the design for the M9.

Well, I can honestly say to a potential buyer that I don't have clue what the shutter count is.

Thank you , thank you, thank you! I feel like such an idiot! I'm glad to finally get to the bottom of it!

Just wondering, how much did you pay for the M 240, thinking it was an M9 it must have been relatively cheap?

If I recall correctly :

Turn M9 on, press delete, up up, down down down down, left left left, right right, info. Scroll down to debug info, shutter actuation count should be listed.

Sorry, don't have my camera on me right now to confirm..

the in-camera info provided by TheLocust and Rus:

...For service mode, do the button dance:

Delete + Up x2 + Down X4 + Left X3 + Right X3 + Info.

The shutter count is in the debug info.

Many thanks!

Does the "M9 Button Dance" also work on M-E and MM1 ?

• 1 year later...

The easiest way to do it is to go to: http://www.soens.de/downloads/

Down load the link for your camera; i.e., M8, M9, etc. 

Put an SD card from you camera with a fresh exposure of anything in your computer card slot. 

Open the app. It the icon looks like a side view of a Leica M..x. The app. is a table with the Red Dot heading and a lot of blank data lines

Open the SD card> DCIM > 100LEICA> drag image into the  app. table display.

The blank lines will fill in including the actuations.

It is a lot easier than scrolling through your camera.

Edited by jevidon

• 1 year later...

The easiest way to do it is to go to: http://www.soens.de/downloads/

Down load the link for your camera; i.e., M8, M9, etc. 

Put an SD card from you camera with a fresh exposure of anything in your computer card slot. 

Open the app. It the icon looks like a side view of a Leica M..x. The app. is a table with the Red Dot heading and a lot of blank data lines

Open the SD card> DCIM > 100LEICA> drag image into the  app. table display.

The blank lines will fill in including the actuations.

It is a lot easier than scrolling through your camera.

Just tried this with a DNG file on my 240 & it gave a result - recognised it was a 240 too (downloaded the M9 app - there isn't one for M240) - wonder if this is a valid reading though?

It corresponded (same figure of 2184) to the earlier method (for macs - tried this first)

https://captureintegration.com/determining-the-shot-count-on-a-leica-m/

Edited by romualdo

• 1 year later...
Am 14.10.2014 um 14:14 schrieb john neal:

The clue is in the exif data in your DNG files - I used the (Windows) software mentioned here to do the job:-

Free software for viewing Leica M9 images and EXIF data | Leica News & Rumors

I found that the M9-P I bought had nearer 1200 actuations than the advertised "approximately 400"

There are other, similar programs out there, plus you could find the hex data using Adobe Bridge and simply convert it to decimal yourself.

Here is another link in case you are a Mac user (I have not tried this one):

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/34494461

Auch hier vielen herzlichen Dank! Werde morgen nach schauen

• 2 weeks later...