The winner is announced!! Vienna "One Challenge 2015"

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the dust barely settled and some folks still a long way from home having attended the 2014 Challenge, I will advise now the situation regarding next year.

As has become the usual practice, "the book" was passed round all of the dinner attendees (some 35 people) and a list of proposed locations was put together. Of all the suggestions, there was a clear winner and after some discussion, it was agreed that the location of next year's Challenge should be decided by those that were actually in attendance on Saturday.

Given the regular commitment that the majority of the attendees make to The Challenge, this seems fair to me. There are two members who have attended every Challenge since the first and many others have multiple Challenges under their belts. Objections were raised on the Forum to this idea a few years ago, but this time the decision is final. Anyone who objects can say so here, or contact me via PM, but on behalf of everyone who was in Istanbul, I make no apologies for us making this decision last Saturday.

So, I can confirm that "The One Challenge 2015" will be held in Vienna, Austria on Saturday 17th October 2015.

I look forward to being able to provide details much nearer the time, of course.

Edited by andybarton
  • Like 11

That's a shame Simon

It started out as the middle weekend in October and with the years has been drifting closer to the beginning every year by a day or two depending upon leap years of course.

It is now probably time to reset it back to the middle weekend, otherwise it will end up in September.

Previous Challenges lost in the mists of time, but...

Berlin - 13/10/07

Krakow - 11/10/08

Valletta - 17/10/09

Venice - 16/10/10

Palermo - 15/10/11

Copenhagen - 13/10/12

Wetzlar - 12/10/13

Istanbul - 11/10/14

Personally, I think that it's the right time to reset the calendar again, for the reason stated above. I DO apologise if that doesn't suit everyone.

Edited by andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Andy

I'd suggest that keeping the date forward slightly (such as the first or second week in October) has its merits, on the basis that if you move too late in the calendar you will clash with half term and the prices of travel and accommodation tend to rise, as well as the weather and season fall away.

I remember in Malta how we were right on the edge of the change in the weather and places were closing after the holiday season.

While this wouldn't necessarily be the case in Vienna, the above two points do bear some thought.

As an observation, 6 of the challenges were held between 11-13 October and 3 between 15-17 October, so the trend, including at the outset, was for earlier dates, later dates were the exception (for info Paris was 13/10/2006).

Ps. This is coming from someone who, if the Challenge had been held in Istanbul on October 18th (equivalent to the timing that you propose), would have been there. :o

Edited by robert_parker
  • Like 3

What do others think? Am probably never going to please everyone

I think at this point it's traditional for me to mention Perpignan in September <grin>.

What's the economy flight situation from the UK? Apologies to non-UK residents for being rather selfish.

I think at this point it's traditional for me to mention Perpignan in September <grin>.

What's the economy flight situation from the UK? Apologies to non-UK residents for being rather selfish.

...If we can move it far enough forward, we might be able to get both in on the same weekend....:D:D:D

A point which stems form my previous post above is that flights are more likely to be more expensive in the UK around half term, which tends to be middle / later in October.

I never knew the old Vienna before

digital, with its

Strauss music, its glamour and easy

charm...

Constantinople suited...

me better... I really got to know it

in the...classic period of the One Challenge...

We'd run anything...Tri-X, Adox, even Kodachrome 64

- if people wanted it enough....:D

<<with apologies to Carol Reed....:D>>

Edited by robert_parker
  • Like 1

October half term is the last week of October.

You can see from my schedule above that from Berlin, the date was the middle Saturday and it drifted earlier with the calendar. We have reset the date once before, at least, in Valletta.

I have found the instructions for Paris which was held on 07/10/06. Amsterdam and London were both in December.

Edited by andybarton

I am quite happy both with the location, and the way it has been chosen, and the dates. Vienna is a beautiful central european city and, probably, accomodations should be cheaper then.

Count me in, if I am still around:)

• Like 1

For various reasons, I would prefer to leave it as the 17th.

The weekend of the 17th does not clash with half term.

From my point of view, one of the reasons why mid-October is better than early October is that many people who no longer have to worry about the school holidays take their main holiday in September, after the schools have gone back. We would have done this year if it wasn't for the Challenge being on 11th. We actually pushed our main two week holiday back so that we wouldn't be having to travel in both September and early October. It's difficult to get two weeks holiday at the office under any circumstances, but to then take a few days only a couple of weeks later, would be likely to raise some eyebrows.

Edited by andybarton
  • Like 2

Dagmar and I would prefer Oct. 10th weekend. Hamburg's schools do have holidays the week after which makes it more difficult to organize the days off with the colleagues at work having children at school.

Just our 2 cents from Istanbul,

Dagmar &Carsten

• Like 1