The winner is announced!! Vienna "One Challenge 2015"

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

McDonalds do make decent coffee to be fair, but the idea of travelling to Vienna to have coffee in McDonalds is rather like going to a very exclusive restaurant and asking for a boiled egg. Perhaps we can find a Pizza Hut for dinner?! 

Hopefully we can find some little 'local' coffee shop off the main tourist trail. I will make enquiries on a couple of travel websites I've found helpful in the past. 

• Like 1

I have been walking around Cafe Central a couple of times for the last 3-4 weeks. It's close to my home and I have a newborn that I am taking on long walks through the parks etc.

Anyway, I noticed that this cafe is meanwhile just as packed as a lot of the other ones. So, if you need a very casual first meeting point where people would show up over the course of "several hours", you may want to pick another place.

(...)

Bernie,

Thanks for the info; do you think they could be approached and asked if a part of their room could be held for us?

Edited by octo

Hi,

Well, I do not know if I will be able to come - Autumn is typically the time when all the projects realize they have lots to deliver and only 3 months to do it in, and the one thing they are missing is alignment, so meetings are always booked between Oct- Dec.

I have however booked my flights and hotel (Hotel Imlauer - which is about one mile from the Cafe Central). For me, Austrian Air had the best prices and my local airline had a code share flight which was double the price.

Looking forward to seeing my friends. And if Istanbul is any indication, I will not follow Lars; he found (probably) the only local restaurant in the whole of Istanbul that served no beer and no kebabs! Which means he will lead me to the only cafe that doesn't do cake or coffee in Vienna :-)

That only shows I care for your health, Ravi. :)

• Like 3

Bernie,

Thanks for the info; do you think they could be approached and asked if a part of their room could be held for us?

Well, I can ask, but I am a little busy with my "day job" at the moment...

• Like 1

Andy, you can add me to the participants list as well. Flights are booked. Arriving friday before the challenge with my family and will stay until wednesday after our party:-)

looking forward Meeting you all again!

john

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

At the recommendation of my sister in Munich, I have just reserved Motel One Wien Westbahnhof. This can still be changed, just to have a place.

Commendable were location (main railway station, subway, shuttle-bus to the airport) and value-for-money. The hotel breakfast got good reviews on the respective review pages, but I have been advised to take a breakfast at a traditional café instead.

Stefan

• Like 2

At the recommendation of my sister in Munich, I have just reserved Motel One Wien Westbahnhof. This can still be changed, just to have a place.

Commendable were location (main railway station, subway, shuttle-bus to the airport) and value-for-money. The hotel breakfast got good reviews on the respective review pages, but I have been advised to take a breakfast at a traditional café instead.

Stefan

Check the map of the surroundings around that specific hotel and see if anyone else smells a rat? :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Am currently suffering with the weather in Scotland, so I'm really looking forward to a good weekend in October. 

On my return, I will start the "Who wants some dinner on the Saturday?" thread. 

And we we need to decide where to eat...

Am currently suffering with the weather in Scotland, so I'm really looking forward to a good weekend in October. 

On my return, I will start the "Who wants some dinner on the Saturday?" thread. 

And we we need to decide where to eat...

Andy,

You can already put me down for 2; I'm sure we can do better than McDonalds ;)

Flights are booked (out Friday, back Monday, ex Manchester) so could you put Marllyn and I down for Saturday dinner please Andy?

Hotel not yet booked.

Is any consensus yet emerging about roughly where in the city the meet-up and/or dinner might be held. Some rough guidance might help in our choosing a hotel!

You can put Ritsuko & I both down for the Saturday dinner too. Any place is fine that allows Leicas on the table :D

We are staying Thursday & Friday in Starlight Suiten Hotel Am Heumarkt and Saturday night in the Hilton Vienna (am Stadtpark).