Updating SF58 firmware.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The SF58 flash is advertised as being firmware upgradable. I have two of them. One with firmware 2.0 and one with firmware 1.1. Any idea on how to upgrade the later to 2.0? Prefrably without a trip to Leica.

I can't find the firmware on the Leica site. Or do I need to log in for that.

Gordon

I believe this has be covered before and as far as I am aware there is no update available and in fact there is no real difference between the 2 versions

Thanks. There appear to be some differences. For example, on V1.1 there are separate modes for TTL and HSS TTL. On V2 they appaear to be combined. It's probably only an operational difference but I have two cameras with two flashes running and I'd like them to be operationally identical.

Gordon

• 1 month later...

Mine has v1.1 and I contacted Leica NJ since I cannot for the life of me find where to download the v.2.0 firmware. I was told the new firmware has only minor changes and does not affect functionality, and is not available for download. :eek:

I remember being firmware updatable was being toted as one big feature of this flash. :confused:

I just took delivery of a new SF-58D on Saturday, and it appears to have 'version 2.0' loaded. I spent ages on Saturday night searching for a firmware update, sure I had missed something obvious on the Leica website.

Given the 'hoo-ha' Leica makes in it's advertising regarding the USB port 'future-proofing' the flash, I too was quite astonished that there had been no updates given that it's been around for quite a few years now.

An update for the Instruction Manual might have been appropriate too - my brain still aches from trying to make sense of it over the weekend!...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

An update of the older version of the SF-58 is not going to happen.

This is such a little issue for the manufacturer likely not going to be addressed, ever.

I have one of the older versions too and it's an ok flash.

It is my quick on the camera flash when I am too lazy to set up off camera lights.

After some curiosity and play time with these larger swivel speedlites on Leica M bodies, I understood that using them on a M is really not optimal and ever since banned any flash from the M bodies.

The SF-58 lives now deep inside a lighting bag in some dark corner and only comes out when I am too lazy in "I could have done that with my iPhone type of shots".

They do have their place for certain uses and some people like them for stills.

To me though they don't work.

They usually are more bulky, need lots of batteries and still don't get the same package of little bulk, light weight power.

The biggest issue with these for me though is that a flash does provide a more discreet very short, powerful light.

This is much nicer around people and much nicer not blinding yourself working around a setup.

Intense light sources are never pleasant to people and a short powerful flash certainly beats a strong blinding constant light source.

I started contacting Leica USA back in November 2014 regarding SF58 firmware update. I got confirmation the most current version was 2.0 (back then), but was told it was no longer available according to Germany.

January 2015 Lothar from Germany emailed me saying it was now available from their associates in NJ, but I have to ship the flash to them to have the updated firmware installed. We all do our camera firmware updates ourselves via downloading, why the flash needs to be physically shipped in to be updated is beyond me.

So I contacted NJ asking them about the turn-around time and if that would incur any costs (on top of shipping and insurance), I got no further answers. My last communication with them on this issue was February 2015.

I suppose the SF58 update is not so important on their agenda, since they are probably too busy handling M9 sensor replacement work orders.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...