Leica M Edition 60 - Your opinion

LUF Admin

Leica M Edition 60 - What's your opinion?  

671 members have voted

1. 1. Leica M Edition 60 - What's your opinion?

• Would have bought the special edition. Too bad it's sold out.
    • As regular model for a reasonable price, please!
    • Regular model, please. But with a slimmer housing.
    • I like the approach but I'm not going to buy one.
    • A digital camera without display doesn't make sense.
    • Leica is completely mad if they offer such a camera.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I certainly am not interested in such a camera, especially if overall functionality is reduced without any new distinguishing benefit, such as reduced size or cost.

But, I certainly don't begrudge Leica for bringing it to (a very limited) market, nor any other person who wants such a camera. :-)

• Like 1

I don't understand the bashing about the M60. That it doesn't fit most people's needs, fair enough.

But does a Beetle or a 2CV owner receive so much flak when he/she drives her old beauty? Imagine the same cars again on the market but new with minor modifications only. They'd sell good I bet. And there'd no violent critics against them.

Otherwise it keeps Leica afloat without betraying anything. I prefer the idea of a M60 over the gold/diamond versions from the past.

Next will be a monochrom M60?

Just the rubber/leatherette is terrible.

If only that M60 can keep the f... idea on Kickstarter dead! You know, the M3 to be digitalized?

Ben

I love the concept of this camera very much. My hope is that they eventually make a non-Special Edition version of this as a less-expensive, entry point into digital M photography. The idea of no rear LCD is actually very welcomed by me personally. Reminds me of shooting my film camera, and having to know my exposure/composition, etc before shooting, not just 'spray and pray'... well done, Leica!

For me, a camera isn't a fashion accessory, so no ostrich hide, porsche aerodynamics, etc.

I'd like a production M without a monitor. I use the EVF, for long telephotos, so I'd want all the capabilities of the M 240, like 5x magnification, and its not clear to me whether the 60 would have them.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have my own version of it already. I've got an M8 that has a bad screen, which Leica can not repair, so I use it like a digital m6. If I need to change a setting, I count the button pushes on my M8.2 and then repeat on the M8. A little annoying, but it works. I usually set it to shoot DNG at ISO 320 and just go with it.

• Like 1

At $18k+, if it is really sold out, there are at least 600 well healed folks with more money than brains. Leica must be rolling on the floor, laughing their collective arses off. No matter what they make, and what they charge for it, they can sell at least 600. I think it is a sad demonstration by a has-been, once great optical house which has deteriorated into making novelties. BTW, I've owned and used Leicas for 44 years. I can't remember the last time they made a camera that I wanted to buy. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone.

I would buy a monochrome (ie. black & white photos not colour) version of the M60, as that would be as close as possible to shoting with B&W film but without all the hastle of converting & scanning the film - I'm just lazy.

It's very ok not to like the camera. It's not ok to say it's a stupid camera, and the people who like it are stupid too. There are 45% of the voters who would buy a regular version of this camera. I'm pretty sure the level of stupidity on this forum must be lower than 45% ;)

• Like 5

How do you reformat the sd card? Or set time and date?

The first one's easy: you use a computer.

As for time and date: that's a distraction from the essential purity so they've left it out of the EXIF. But the next version will draw on previous Leica practice and have a little slot in the bottom plate into which you can slip a little strip of plastic on which you have written the date. This will appear at the edge of the image.

If the price were in line with other Leica bodies I would consider one. I don't understand all the carping about a display.... well maybe because I am a film shooter and not used to relying on looking at my work while still shooting.

One of the real cult digi's out there is the Epson RD1 et al and there is no display and an advance lever for gods sake.:D