Scanners & Software

MarkP

I love my digital crap. Having said that, now I've got my Nikon Coolscan 5000 up and running again I've been shooting some film on my CL - Monochrome of course ;)

Please would go give a little details of what was the problem with the Coolspan - and the solution? Thanks and apologies if this is too off thread.

Please would go give a little details of what was the problem with the Coolspan - and the solution? Thanks and apologies if this is too off thread.

Sorry to the others for going off thread...

I'm Mac based and Nikon stopped software support for the Coolscans years ago. The Nikon software is not compatible with any recent Apple OS. At the time I was unaware of third party software that supported it on Mac. I stupidly traded it in for an Epsom V700..

Anyhow, when I realised my mistake, two tears later, I got the unsold Coolsacn back from my dealer and have it up and running with 3rd party software.

• Like 1

Sorry to the others for going off thread...

I'm Mac based and Nikon stopped software support for the Coolscans years ago. The Nikon software is not compatible with any recent Apple OS. At the time I was unaware of third party software that supported it on Mac. I stupidly traded it in for an Epsom V700..

Anyhow, when I realised my mistake, two tears later, I got the unsold Coolsacn back from my dealer and have it up and running with 3rd party software.

One more question on this subject. Can I ask what 3rd party software. I still have a Coolscan sitting in my cabinet.

• Like 1

One more question on this subject. Can I ask what 3rd party software. I still have a Coolscan sitting in my cabinet.

VueScan or SilverFast. SilverFast works more like a Raw Converter (ie LR) and gives more control over managing and cropping of scanned film strips than VueScan, and has better control over colour management. VueSacn is OK if you just want to get the scanned image across.

A lot of the extras both programs have actually bugger up the file.

VuesCan is cheap (<$100). SilverFast charges according to the value or precieved value of the scanner (person and hardware). So a domestic Epsom is cheap , Nikon CoolScan 5000 mid-priced (~$600), and god help you if you're using an old Heidelberg!

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

VueScan or SilverFast. SilverFast works more like a Raw Converter (ie LR) and gives more control over managing and cropping of scanned film strips than VueScan, and has better control over colour management. VueSacn is OK if you just want to get the scanned image across.

A lot of the extras both programs have actually bugger up the file.

VuesCan is cheap (<$100). SilverFast charges according to the value or precieved value of the scanner (person and hardware). So a domestic Epsom is cheap , Nikon CoolScan 5000 mid-priced (~$600), and god help you if you're using an old Heidelberg!

Mark, Thanks and I recall Silverfast and looked into it at one point. At its cost for my scanner it might make sense to just have my slides professionally scanned. I have not shot a roll of slide film in years and have no plans in the future. As I have said, I do not enjoy scanning to begin with.

• Like 1

Yes. I'm still using VueScan as the Silverfast prices are outrageous.

I forgot to correct my previous post - the Silverfast price is 450 Euro :eek:.

My comments on it's performance are based on the version supplied wiht my Epsom and a demo version for the Nikon (but it watermarks Silverfast all over the image)

• Like 2

I disagree with this description, Vuescan can capture a full linear 48bit raw scan:

Perfect Slide & Negative Scans | VueScan Professional | Scanning | ColorPerfect

• Like 1

Plasticman,

you are quite correct about this.

Steve,

I agree. SilverFast came with my Epsom scanner, and I then tested trial versions of VueSacn & SilverFast for my Coolscan 5000. Couldn't justify the price of SilverFast under any circumstances after comparing scans.

Bill,

my Coolscan ED5000 can connect to the Mac via USB. Don't know about the 4000

Does anyone have any experience with the SF210 slide feeder?

I have a lot of old Kadachromes to scan and the time saved may justify buying one (but they are over $1000 on eBay!)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I'm also looking for a scanner. Seems to be that Nikon Coolscan V, 4000, 5000 are the best. I understand, that you can connect theses scanners with modern MBP via USB and use Vuescan. Old scanners with SCSI will be problematic. Will the connection via Thunderbolt work ? What is the experience with these 3 scanners - are the differences big ? Did I miss an important point ?

Mark, since you are using a Mac, have you tried using Bootcamp (which you have) or installing virtual machine software (VMWare Fusion or Parallels) to set up a Windows XP system or an old OS X system?  I use VMWare Fusion to run some old software that is only available for Windows; I run a Windows 8 virtual machine simultaneously with El Capitan.  Virtual machines are somewhat easier to achieve file sharing across the operating systems and you don't have to reboot to change the current OS.

Mark, since you are using a Mac, have you tried using Bootcamp (which you have) or installing virtual machine software (VMWare Fusion or Parallels) to set up a Windows XP system or an old OS X system?  I use VMWare Fusion to run some old software that is only available for Windows; I run a Windows 8 virtual machine simultaneously with El Capitan.  Virtual machines are somewhat easier to achieve file sharing across the operating systems and you don't have to reboot to change the current OS.

Several times I've tried unsuccessfully to install Nikon Scan on a Mac OS Yosemite with Parallels / Windows 7 partition for getting connected with a scanner Nikon Coolscan 9000.
According to information by Apple this is also not possible by installing a virtual machine on Macs running with software which is newer than Snow Leopard.
For Nikon Viewscan you need an older Mac OS computer that could be operated with OS-X up to Snow Leopard in order to install the program Rosetta to run Nikon scanners with its old original software Nikon Scan.
Meanwhile I use Vuescan which works on all newer Mac-OS-X-systems together with the Nikon Coolscan 9000.
If your Nikon Scanner has no USB-port you need a new cable which connects the older FireWire-400-Output of the Nikon Coolscan to the compatible newer FireWire-800-Input-port of the Mac.