Hood & Filter for Rigid 9cm LTM Elmar?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In WiKi, the filter size is given as 39mm and the hood as IUFOO (for the collapsible version). My lens is a rigid LTM ser no. 1482xxx and the filter thread is considerably smaller than 39mm. At a rough guess, it is 34mm. Can someone confirm what the correct hood is and the filter thread size please?

So this thread is just for fitting/removing the front element then?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I think so Keith, I use an a36 hood on mine (the variable/'zoom' hood that covers 35 to 135 I think.)

I dont have the stuff with me, and the wifi is a flaky here on a campsite in southern France but if you try the search function there should be a thread about it a while ago with inf from our experts on heritage stuff :-)

Gerry

Yes, the Elmar 90 f4 had several variants, even considering only the postwar items : here is a quick collage of 4 : only the last two (at right) have the E39 filter thread and use the IUFOO hood; previously they accepted the usual A36 clamp on filters, like the Elmar 50, and there was not a "dedicated" hood, but only the variable extension FIKUS hood.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, Luigi. It looks like mine is similar to the second from the left, so a FIKUS it is, then. :)

Thanks for the reply, Gerry. Hope the weather in southern France is better than here!

Yes thanks, its 25 and a nice breeze, my sons tell me its been a typical uk bank holiday....

The FIKUS is great on the 90, if you use it on the 50 its a fiddle to remove it to get at the f stops.

Gerry

• 1 year later...

Thanks, Luigi. It looks like mine is similar to the second from the left, so a FIKUS it is, then. :)

I previously owned a black 1933 uncoated 9cm Elmar with the A36 type system. Yesterday picked up a  silver 1958 coated version. It is also of the 2nd style shown above. It didn't come with a lens cap, but had a 34mm filter on it for protection. There 's little mention of these 34mm threads and a step up ring from 34mm to E39mm is not something I could find.

I will buy a lens cap and I'm considering a generic screw in hood though I have made rubber a push on hood from the rubber of a scuba torch that also fits rather nicely.

Dan, it was good to see you again yesterday.  I saw a FIKUS at the sale which might have fitted your lens. I have a FIKUS which will fit my 1930s 'Thin' Elmars. Indeed, it will also fit my 'Fat' 9cm Elmar, but it looks very ugly on that lens. I have the third from the left version of the chrome 9cm Lens shown above (in M mount) and for that one I use the IUFOO. My view, though, is that if the rubber scuba torch hood fits, then wear it, as we say in my part of the world. Being rubber it will do no harm to the lens. The 90mm f4 lens for the CL actually came with a built in folding rubber hood. Great minds etc.

William

• Like 1

Mine is the second from the left in Luigi's picture. In an effort to standardize I used an SGOOZ  clamp ring (same for the 50/3.5 Elmar) which has an internal 39mm thread, so it works with my set of filters as well. The hood I use, unwieldy, as it may seem, is a generic 39mm screw on aluminum telephoto lens hood. Works great and fine protection for the front element. Any flare I experienced previously has disappeared.