The New LEICA M-P: Discreet, Faster, Harder

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Only a few weeks before photokina 2014 Leica improves its product portfolio: The German camera manufacturer has introduced the new LEICA M-P with many new features today. The new camera is available as of now for 6,700 Euro / 7,950 US$ in black and silver chrome.

» All Leica M-P details here

[ATTACH]453246[/ATTACH]

I can't say I would not buy it in the future, I have made that mistake not so long ago, but at the moment I really love my non digital MP.;)

• Like 1

The more thumbs you have, the less successful the selector will be. As usual.

Based on various old posts, Jaap has a tendency toward being 'all thumbs'. But he has had Solms (Wetzlar) to fix any related damage, so the new selection feature is probably not needed in his case.

Jeff

Funny how Leica seems to understand that hardly anybody wants the ugly red dot on the front of their camera. So they introduce a new improved model (M) and then later announce a small improvement on that, for a mere $1,000 more, and one of the few benefits of the higher priced model is the lack of a red dot.

I confess that LIKE the red dot of my M240...:cool: not that I think to upgrade... But the absence of the dot is anyway a little minus, to me.

• Like 12

Don't encourage them, sahe69, they're being very naughty ;)

Yep, just having fun, Pete. :)

Not intended at your expense, but your post seemed apropos, given the potentially funny nature of another 'upgrade' that has folks chattering….again.

Jeff

• Like 1

"Discrete, faster, harder".... I seem to have seen that somewhere before in Soho.....:eek:

On a serious point, one of the things I find particularly useful on my M8,2 is the 'discrete' mode, which supresses the sound when an image is taken by delaying the re-cocking of the shutter - this also seems to reduce vibration and results in a steadier image.

Does anyone know if a similar feature exists on the Typ 240 P ?

• Like 1

Many years ago I decided to dis-excite about Leica-"Innovations". In particular those copied from the US-car industry from the 1950s, with annual cosmetic changes with the sole purpose to make last year's model look distinguishably old. Appreciate the opportunity to get "last year's" model for a discount and let Leica make the extra buck from the collectors and "P"osers. The "P" is not cosmetic, but has no new, back then unavailable or excessively expensive technology they could not have implemented with the "M". Expect a limited edition elephant skin (or other) M prior to the end of its product cycle.

In a way the M is like the M5. Too big and too quirky compared to the iconic M2/3/4. The M6 was a success, because the fitted a TTL meter into the classic M body.

• Like 1

Hi Robert, there isn't any recocking sound to mask or delay with the M (typ 240) and hence no need for a discreet mode.

Regarding the new M-P, the timing of their announcement is interesting, however presumably there are more in the wings for Photokina.

I'm surprised at the ho-hum or even negative tone of this thread overall though. So there will be a choice between the current model and the new one while taking nothing away? Does anyone remember threads where people said they were really unhappy that the frameline selector was not part of the M (Typ 240) design?

I think the new M-P is a pretty camera in the classic Leica style personally. I wouldn't upgrade just for that but would be happy to select this one over the M (typ 240) if I was buying new right now.

The buffer size increase is an interesting choice for an addition. I have never managed to saturate the buffer with my M (Typ 240) no matter how rapidly I shoot a sequence in studio for example. It was easy to reach that limit with the M9 though.

• Like 7

Underwhelmed .........

Cannot see the point of this ....... if it's trying to breathe a bit more life into a mature product then it's a pretty poor attempt ......

God knows where they get the 'professional' bit from ......:rolleyes:

.... now if you tell me the EVF black-out has gone and start-up is now instantaneous ... then we're talking ......

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

Does anyone know if a similar feature exists on the Typ 240 P ?

In this respect the M-P resembles the M – no discreet mode. And I doubt we will ever see that again, but then I had thought the same about the frame selector lever.

• Like 1

Cannot see the point of this .......

Ever since the announcement of the M (Typ 240) people had been wondering whether there would also be an M-P. Now there is and as far as I am concerned it has everything I had expected from an M-P (sapphire glas, no red dot …), plus features I hadn’t expected, like the doubled buffer size and the resurrection of the frame selector lever.

• Like 4

Thanks Geoff and Michael

Interestingly, I've found the Discrete mode most useful, not because of the reduced sound but because of the apparent reduction in vibration that separating the shutter operation into two stages seemed to impart.

I don't know the Typ 240 shutter but it would be interesting to see how that compares with the old M8,2 shutter in terms of vibration.

Ever since the announcement of the M (Typ 240) people had been wondering whether there would also be an M-P. Now there is and as far as I am concerned it has everything I had expected from an M-P (sapphire glas, no red dot …), plus features I hadn’t expected, like the doubled buffer size and the resurrection of the frame selector lever.

I didn't expect that big screw in the front instead of the Leica dot.:D