The New LEICA M-P: Discreet, Faster, Harder

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Isn't the 6D some sort of downgraded 5D2?

There is something I find rather annoying about Canon. Leica removed the red dot on the M-P. Doesn't change a thing about my photography.

Canon decided to remove the exchangeable focussing screens on the 5D3. That's annoying as I wanted the better focussing system for my tele lenses and the egs screen for my Zeiss lenses.

:confused:

The 6D is actually better than the 5D2, and uses the same interchangeable focusing screens. In any case, the Magic Lantern firmware focus peaking feature works much better than the Eg-S.

End of offtopic :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Improved buffer, sapphire screen, manual viewfinder, frame selector, better looks. I think it's worth the extra $1000 to me...

I would pay an extra $1000 for those features; the sapphire screen alone costs nearly that much ($800, I recall reading somewhere) and the larger buffer capacity is certainly a step forward as is the return of the frame selector lever.

Having just invested in an M240 five months ago, I will stick with that body since it has yet given me any reason to complain.

I think it's a cynical move to those that care to show that by having the red dot you are not a professional...whatever that means or at least dont have the latest version. It's the same with Macs. They have had the screen option for years as they offered a £1200 upgrade to the M8, so it's not like they didn't know.

I remember in Joes basement, a lab in London when they introduced and amateur line and one for 'pros'. The Amateur line was always empty !

IMHO, Leica could do a lot better by actually listening to photographers needs rather than constantly doing minor worthless updates. For example, addressing the having to take the bottom of the camera apart to get at the battery and card like the guy at Leicatime has done with his after market base replacement or what about having a tethering socket like on the S instead of having to buy the accessory winder with the hopeless connector on it that we all know doesn't really work. In fact Canon even made a special screw in holder to keep the tether cable in on their cameras. The Eos 1 anyway.

I know many will have other things and I know some will like the new things the 'updated' version. It's just my opinion and I have three 240's and an S, so I do have an opinion. I'm just saying.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On Monday morning I purchased a brand-new chrome Leica M-P with extra battery, EVF II and Macro Adapter, the timing based chiefly on the announcement, but also in significant measure as a result of the superior, prompt, knowledgable and enthusiastic attitude and customer-service oriented culture at the new CAMERA WEST LEICA Botique in Walnut Creek, California……cannot recommend these folks highly enough.

Part of my decision to trade up to Leica's latest M offering was my long standing desire to operate with one camera system only ( not counting my D-Lux and V-Lux as every-day cameras ), therefore this new camera replaces not only my 2-year old M9P, but also my 4 year-old Canon 5D Mk II and several of the best L as well as Zeiss ZE lenses.

Perhaps because I chose to leapfrog the M-240 and opt instead for the M-P at this time, the approx. $700 total premium( over the M240 ) for the synthetic Sapphire screen, frame selector and doubled memory seems like a reasonable and credible increase in price over the M-240. I I don't understand getting hung up on model names, numbers, designations, imagined conspiracies and trying to analyze mninutely the cost breakdowns of every little piece, rather than concentrating on overall value for the money. Given the IQ and seeing what the M-P seems capable of after just a couple of delightful days of shooting and getting used to it, the overall increase in price seems downright paltry. Mind you, I'm not being cavalier about almost US $8000 for a body, but as I see it, in comparison to its predecessors and current competition, the new M-P represents a solid value at an entirely justifiable price.

Reading the preceeding pages I am puzzled and bewildered by the cynicism, sarcasm, uninformed negativity and clumsy attempts at satire in this thread. After wading through all the the nonsense about irrelevant minutae about the color of dots and the size of screws, I simply don't see the point of devoting a moments thought to the superficial aspects of aesthetics and subjective preferences over function, usability, effectiveness and ultimately output. I have always viewed Leicas as some of the finest scientific instruments in their respective category,………..not fashion accessories.

For me, switching to the M-P turns out to be an almost 100% upside decision - but to be clear permit me to re-emphasize that I'm coming from a M9-P, not an M240:

superb sensor with outstanding image quality - elimination of limitations imposed by CCD sensor (such as no through-the-lens viewing & EVF ).

highly capable & faster processing engine than the M9 series, even faster than the M 240

noticably brighter and more brilliant optical viewfinder, including startlingly visible LED illuminated frame lines

I've never owned a Leica sans frame selector - to me this represents an essential feature

significantly quiter shutter for even less obtrusive shooting

significantly improved high ISO performance

significantly larger, scratch resistant synthetic saphire rear LCD cover

significantly longer battery life

more user-friendly, intuitive controls and software interface with the camera - love the thumbwheel

So far, the only downside I've discovered and one that has the potential of becoming a major p.i.t.a. is the unacceptably long wake-up time.

Proceeded directly to my favorite beach from Camera West………..attached please find the first shots with my new M-P.

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

... After wading through all the the (sic) nonsense about irrelevant minutae about the color of dots and the size of screws, I simply don't see the point of devoting a moments thought to the superficial aspects of aesthetics and subjective preferences over function, usability, effectiveness and ultimately output. ...

And yet I note a cherry-red shutter release and sumptuous tan leather strap rather than the utilitarian webbing strap that's supplied with the camera. A moment's thought perhaps?;)

Pete.

Jaapv, thank you very much for the advice.

And yet I note a cherry-red shutter release and sumptuous tan leather strap rather than the utilitarian webbing strap that's supplied with the camera. A moment's thought perhaps?;)

Pete.

Touché, Pete !…… please let me explain.

The shutter button is not cherry-red, rather, it's the only small-diameter, concave button Camera West had in stock, and happens to match my Porsche's Continental Orange paint color perfectly. I tried transferring the old button from the M9P, but for no obviously appearant reason Leica decided to change the thread in the shutter release button - so, new button and new cable-release as well.

Re the strap, I despise the cheap, narrow black 'utilitarian' Cordura strap included with the camera, therefore as long as I needed / wanted a new strap anyway Camera West did have this one "sumptuous" one left, and it in turn happens to match my 25-year old utilitarian Billingham kit bag.

So,yes, a fleeting thought or two about the peripherals, but those details would never be allowed to intrude on a buying decision re the camera.

Cheers,

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Hi JGZ,

Glad you're enjoying the camera :). My M9 is about to go up for sale as I've hardly used it since I bought the M240 a year ago (but I do also have a Monochrom). I agree with you about the significant improvement moving from the M9 to M240.

I didn't get the P models as I bought into both early in the product cycle. The upgrade from standard to P with in the same model cannot be justified. Standard to standard or P to P is quite reasonable. If I was buying a new M240 now I would buy the M-P.

Regards,

Mark

The shutter button is not cherry-red, rather, it's the only small-diameter, concave button Camera West had in stock, and happens to match my Porsche's Continental Orange paint color perfectly. I tried transferring the old button from the M9P, but for no obviously appearant reason Leica decided to change the thread in the shutter release button - so, new button and new cable-release as well.

Love it :D:D:D

• 6 years later...