A must-have: the Leica tabletop tripod

carstenw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just bought the little foldable Leica tabletop tripod, and a cheap Cullman ballhead to go with it, and have run a test of how sharp I can get pictures down to what slow speeds, with and without the tripod. Note that this is not with the tripod standing on a table, but with the legs spread and placed against the chest and shoulders.

With my 35/2 Asph, I was able to get acceptably sharp shots without the tripod down to 1/8s and so I gave up with that lens. This is not about perfectly razor-sharp pictures, which you probably need a full tripod for in any case, but about relatively sharp shots in dark situations.

I then mounted the 75 Lux, and stopped it down to f/2.8 at 1/90s and then shot slower and slower while decreasing the aperture to compensate for the increase in light. At 1/24s I had a borderline shot, but below that I was getting ghost images and severe softness.

Then I tried again with the tripod, and this time I was able to get a stunningly sharp shot at 1/12s, so I would say that this combo adds at least 1 1/2 stops to the slow end of the range.

The tripod looks like this, and costs 100 Euro. There are also pictures lower on the page of how it is used against a wall or the chest. Note that for the greatest stability, you find the correct position, and then tighten it. This makes the camera, tripod and your upper body a single unit moving together. It is surprisingly solid.

Leica Camera AG - Photography - Tabletop Tripod & Ball Head

Rather than the 170 Euro expensive Leica ballhead, I picked up a decent Cullman for 20 Euro like this one:

CU903 Cullmann Mini Metal Ball Head - 2 1/2" tall, 1" wide

I have just bought the little foldable Leica tabletop tripod, and a cheap Cullman ballhead to go with it, and have run a test of how sharp I can get pictures down to what slow speeds, with and without the tripod. Note that this is not with the tripod standing on a table, but with the legs spread and placed against the chest and shoulders.

With my 35/2 Asph, I was able to get acceptably sharp shots without the tripod down to 1/8s and so I gave up with that lens. This is not about perfectly razor-sharp pictures, which you probably need a full tripod for in any case, but about relatively sharp shots in dark situations.

I then mounted the 75 Lux, and stopped it down to f/2.8 at 1/90s and then shot slower and slower while decreasing the aperture to compensate for the increase in light. At 1/24s I had a borderline shot, but below that I was getting ghost images and severe softness.

Then I tried again with the tripod, and this time I was able to get a stunningly sharp shot at 1/12s, so I would say that this combo adds at least 1 1/2 stops to the slow end of the range.

The tripod looks like this, and costs 100 Euro. There are also pictures lower on the page of how it is used against a wall or the chest. Note that for the greatest stability, you find the correct position, and then tighten it. This makes the camera, tripod and your upper body a single unit moving together. It is surprisingly solid.

Rather than the 170 Euro expensive Leica ballhead, I picked up a decent Cullman for 20 Euro like this one:

Sigh.... I suppose I'd better get one...

:)

• Like 1

I bought one of these tripods by mistake, and its fabulous. Unlike other small tripods this thing is solid - it's cast alloy, with a very nice crackle finish. I use a Manfretto 482 mini ball head and the smallest Kirk quick release clamp. I also have the Leica head, but the extension built into it is more of a negative than a positive for me.

My experience using the mini tripod as a "shoulder stock" is similar to Carsten's. I also use it as a tripod, proped against a wall, pew, pillar, railing, chairback, whatever, in situations where tripods aren't permitted (restrictions on tripod use are a growing problem). See p 230 of Gunter Osterloh's book. Use the self-timer at 2 sec in lieu of a cable release and you're good to go for long exposures.

It fits neatly in my small A&A bag.

[/url]

That's like having an IS, huh, Carsten :) . I bought that table-pod some 15 years ago and used that with my retired Contax G system some 10 years ago. It is time to pull that tripod out of retirement and put it to good use again. Thanks.

I didn't even know it was still in production. I always carry it when out with the full kit or when I think I need it, which is quite often. I bought mine over thirty years ago - it is an uncertain -to put it politely- shade of grayish green hammertone and despite frequent use still looks like new. I use an ancient aluminium no-name little ballhead with it, which makes the whole thing no-weight as well. It is one of the handiest accasories I know of. Pistol-grip, chest support, table tripod, lean it against a wall or tree for stability, anything.

Guest guy_mancuso

I have the Table top tripod also and use a Manfotto 484. Very useful. Interesting I am right in the middle of a tripod and head change I have a RRS BH-55 and Gitzo 1327 and 1228 leg set and just got the Bh-40 for the M8 which is really nice. So been thinking of selling the 1327 legs and 1228 legs and getting the new GT 2540 legs and maybe even sell the BH-55 and get a CV 12mm with the money. Going to try the BH-40 today for the first time and see how I like this new head. Even have a G0012 that i never use which is a really small Gitzo about a foot high extended. I'll probably load up e-bay on Monday with stuff, just collect to much stuff over the years

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought one of these tripods by mistake, and its fabulous. Unlike other small tripods this thing is solid - it's cast alloy, with a very nice crackle finish. I use a Manfretto 482 mini ball head and the smallest Kirk quick release clamp. I also have the Leica head, but the extension built into it is more of a negative than a positive for me.

My experience using the mini tripod as a "shoulder stock" is similar to Carsten's. I also use it as a tripod, proped against a wall, pew, pillar, railing, chairback, whatever, in situations where tripods aren't permitted (restrictions on tripod use are a growing problem). See p 230 of Gunter Osterloh's book. Use the self-timer at 2 sec in lieu of a cable release and you're good to go for long exposures.

It fits neatly in my small A&A bag.

We should all make mistakes like this Woody! The finish you describe indicates to me it is an older version of the Leitz table tripod. Good call; I had the newer one with the tall ballhead, but replaced it with the older, much more compact, version with the old short Leitz ballhead. Unlike the new one, if you tuck it into your belt, it does not look like a firearm under a jacket...

Rock steady, and as you say, any wall, tree, hand rail, table, whatever, becomes your support. To my surprise, it also supports much larger and heavier DSLR' quite well. I don't know how old this table tripod is (I acquired it used), but I suspect it will outlive me. Newer is not always better...

Nick

A few weeks ago I posted a thread describing how I might have to give up on the M8 because of hand tremors due to early stage Parkinson's disease. Jaap suggested that before I do so that I try the Leica pod. I bought one and it truly has saved my (photographic) life. What a gem!!

Woody

Guest guy_mancuso
A few weeks ago I posted a thread describing how I might have to give up on the M8 because of hand tremors due to early stage Parkinson's disease. Jaap suggested that before I do so that I try the Leica pod. I bought one and it truly has saved my (photographic) life. What a gem!!

Woody

Woody you can also put a cable release on so you don't have to get your right hand on top of the body. This way you can tuck it in tighter to your body and squeeze off the frame with your thumb. Try it

The Leica table tripod with a Leica ballhead is good but don't overlook Manfrotto's table 'pod.

I might not have know this had not the Leica rig I owned for over three decades get stolen from my lggage on a domestic flight two years ago. Probably got pinched because it traveled in a zippered, red leather case I had custom made a few years ago.

The Manfrotto table pod also has the advantage of allowing the photographer the option of adding one, or perhaps even two, six inch (~12cm) extensions. This gives the small tripod just a bit of extra reach which can be vital in some instances.

The self-timer option on my M8 is seeing a lot of use these days, partly because the Manfrotto is so easy to break down and always included in even my most basic kit.

-g

Guest licht

The Leica tabletop tripod with the leica ballhead is really great.

You can use it on a table but also can push it against a wall or against your chest.

The Leica ballhead is one of the best ballheads and it´s also very fine with heavier cameras than a leica m.

Never missing in my Leica travelbag. :)

B&H has a Manfrotto table-top tripod with a very good ball head for less than half of the price of Leica's. I have one and also looked closely at the Leica. I assure you that it's at least every bit as good in build and performance as the badly over-priced Leica kit. So if you're in the market for one of these and don't feel the need to pay a 100% tribute to Leica I urge you to look at

If you want something that's infinitely more useful and versatile, however, look at the Joby Gorilla Pod for small cameras. They can be hard to find in-stock... for a good reason.

I think the tripod has just got a whole lot more useful with the mount being in the centre of the camera - less lateral strain on the ball-head.

The Leica ball-head is beautifully finished - a work of art - but I prefer to use a smaller one too. There's been a succession of Leica ball heads in the past and I bought mine on ebay. I also use a Manfrotto 709B when travelling .

Guest Olof

I use since years the original Leica table tripod + head. I used it with my M4-P, M6, Digital compact cameras and now the M8.Its very usefully and it follows you everywhere. :)

Woody

Me too. I also have hand tremors due to other disease since 14 years. I've been using Leica pod and ball head for 25 years.

As you say, because I needed al least 1/500, now and precisely with the M8 (with the central thing) I'm able to shoot 1/30 or less. Also has saved my photographic life. Nobody can imagine the big frustration we have when a very wonderfull pic is lost because of unwanted movement.

It is one of the best accessories Leica has done.

Cheers,

Francisco.

A simple alternative to a tabletop tripod for the uses described here (stabilizing longer lenses, slow shutter speeds, hand tremors, etc.) is a beanbag. It shapes itself to whatever is available (your chest, a lightpost, a doorway, etc.) and allows you to cushion the camera base or side to stabilize the camera against shake and vibration. When I travel, I pack an empty zippered bag and fill it with beans or (better) linseed from a local market after arrival. Not as pretty as the tabletop tripod, but actually much faster to use because no adjustment is needed. You can experiment with different materials as a filler. You can alway fit one into your camera bag, and it can even help as padding there.

...With my 35/2 Asph, I was able to get acceptably sharp shots without the tripod down to 1/8s...

i'm quite surprised about this. does the metalblade-shutter inside the m8 shake that much?

1/8s using a leica m with a wide-angle lens doesn't sound like a tripod-job to me. with the m6 even 1/4s (50mm lens) get acceptably sharp pictures most of the time, 1/2s is possible, but not always as sharp as you would like it.

nevertheless, the tabletop-tripod is a nice thing to have, especially while traveling, when you don't have too much space in your bags.

greetings,

-tim-