Any Sony A7s Shooters in the House?

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an A7R and just recently bought an A7S. I don't have any real photos to share yet, but so far I'm loving the A7S for its lowlight capabilities and quieter EFC shutter and of course the totally silent shutter. The smaller files are also quite a delight.

What's a bit baffling to me is that the A7R seems consistently to produce warmer and more saturated photos. I wonder if Nick has observed the same?

I'm attaching two crappy comparisons. A7 and then A7R. The camera and lens and export settings were definitely identical. In each case, I shot RAW and picked a WB point in Lightroom in one photo and then manually entered the resultant temperature and tint values in the other.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Those were taken at ISO 6400 and 3200.

At ISO 25600 the difference becomes more dramatic. Again A7S followed by A7R. I picked as the WB point the white area around the bar code of the A7S photo. A7S looks much closer to reality here.

Edited by alanjung
  • Like 2

The A7S camera profile that is currently provided by Adobe for Lightroom/ACR delivers quite disappointing results. I created a set of profiles using X-Rite ColorChecker Passport that deliver a much better base for further adjustments.

The samples in this article were created using the profiles.

• Like 2

Nick: Thanks for not posting a brick wall routine! Leaning more and more in the direction of A7s. I currently use Photoshop CS4 for my post processing. Would I need a plug-in for the Sony files?

I'm quoting myself. I got the answer to my question. I decided to download the plugin for PS CS4 only to discover that I need a version 10.7 IMAC. Mine is 10.6.8. Close but no cigar. I would have to invest ona new IMAC to even use the Sony A7s, so this project will be on hold.

Edited by wilfredo
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another question: WHAT ABOUT "R" LENSES ON THE A7s? Is there an adapter for this?

There are plenty of LR to E-mount adapters. Novoflex (which I have) and Metabones (reportedly heavy) are solid, and then there're many cheap ones. Leitax sells semi-permanent LR-E conversion mounts.

• Like 2

Another question: WHAT ABOUT "R" LENSES ON THE A7s? Is there an adapter for this?

I've found Novoflex adapters to be consistently well engineered, operation is very smooth. I use the NEX/LER on the A7R with Leica R lenses. There is a Novoflex tripod mount ASTAT-NEX with an Arca Swiss type foot for the adapter. The foot's also threaded with standard tripod mounting threads.

Bob.

• Like 2

I have changed Part II of my review from high iso (now part III) to show some other lenses and things, because of some of the feedback. In particular, I read somewhere else that the 28 summicron shots in my first review were only good because the lens was stopped down to f5.6-f8, but wide open at f2 it would not work without magenta fringing. The people saying this never show any examples. Sp this morning I shot a number of shots with the 28 wide open. I have just reviewed and edited them ready for my Part II of the review, and unless I am blind I cannot see any hint of magenta or anything lee wrong. They remind me of the warmth and sharpness, and good feel, I get from this lens with the M.

I have also found, in passing, the Zeiss 50mm Sonnar f1.5 works wonderfully on the A7s.

I shall publish part II by or on the weekend.

Nick

• Like 8

Great stuff Nick, thank you for your efforts. I look forward to reading it whilst I await delivery of my A7s early next week. I'm so glad it appears to work well with the Summicron 28 as it is poor on my A7.

I'm also hoping my 50 lux ASPH performs better on the s than it does on the A7 as currently it does seem lacking compared to the M9

Ben

• Like 2

No, but after returning my a7r due to Sony image compression and also finding that Sony compression in my RX-1 not to my liking, may I suggest this.

Sell your MM and get an M240. Converting M240 images to B&W for me means they are just about the same IMHO. Others will differ, but even Sean Reid mentioned the M240 is so very close to the MM. This way you can use one camera for either B&W or color or per Overgaard shoot color in DNG and simultaneously shoot B&W in jpeg with B&W LCD views. Yon can obviously use all your Leica lenses without hesitation.

Jim Kasson's blog mentions his concern about Sony compression as does Lloyd Chambers too if I recall correctly.

Edited by algrove

No, but after returning my a7r due to Sony image compression and also finding that Sony compression in my RX-1 not to my liking,

Jim Kasson's blog mentions his concern about Sony compression as does Lloyd Chambers too if I recall correctly.

Algrove, could you please share examples where the influence of Sony's compression scheme is clearly visible?

I do not put that in general doubt and the analysis of Lloyd is correct. But like may other downsides the practical relevance is dramatically exaggerated. Meanwhile I shot about 20.000 pics with my A7Rs and there are one or two, where this effect may become visible when you crank exposure controls by 5 stops and peep at pixel level. If you recommend the M240 instead, you should weigh it's drawbacks with equal value.

• Like 1

I have published Part II of my review of the Sony A7S now, which includes photos of the camera with the Voitlander 15mm and 21mm (Color-Skopar) as well as the Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar slr lens, and, importantly, the 28mm Summicron this time all wide open.

You can see the review here:

Rangefinder Chronicles: Sony A7s Review - Part II - Some other lenses and other stuff

Here are a few - the first ones with the 28mm Summicron full open, and then one with the 15mm and one the 100mm makro.

Nick

• Like 7

I'm also really enjoying this camera with my M mount lenses. The ZM 35 f2.8 looks to be a good performer too. I might even sell the FE 35mm as much prefer the feel and operation of the manual lenses.

All my existing M lenses work a lot better with this than camera than with my a7. So far I have tried and succeeded in using the 28 Summicron, ZM 35 2.8 and 50 lux. My ZM 25 is better but there is still some slight image degradation in the corners wide open - not a big issue for the way I shoot though.

I feel the A7s partners my M9 perfectly as it can look after the late night shooting duties plus I can shoot incredible looking video with my tiny M lenses.

• Like 2

I'm also really enjoying this camera with my M mount lenses. The ZM 35 f2.8 looks to be a good performer too. I might even sell the FE 35mm as much prefer the feel and operation of the manual lenses.

All my existing M lenses work a lot better with this than camera than with my a7. So far I have tried and succeeded in using the 28 Summicron, ZM 35 2.8 and 50 lux. My ZM 25 is better but there is still some slight image degradation in the corners wide open - not a big issue for the way I shoot though.

I feel the A7s partners my M9 perfectly as it can look after the late night shooting duties plus I can shoot incredible looking video with my tiny M lenses.

Can you show some examples with the ZM 35/2.8 at infinity?

I'm having trouble finding a small manual 35 that works OK not only at closer distances but also for landscape.

Here are some images with the ZM 35 f2.8. Not at infinity but should give you a flavour.

• Like 3