Any Sony A7s Shooters in the House?

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apologies for the content but here are three shots with the 28 Summicron.

From memory at f2.8, f5.6 and f8.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Steve,

I don't use the lens much as I generally prefer the 28mm field of view. It certainly looks better to me but wether it's acceptable for others is another matter.

Here are some shots at f2.8. Once again apologies for the uninspiring content.

• Like 1

Summilux 50mm ASPH all at F1.4. No vignette added.

Here's a not very scientific comparison of the same scene shot with both the M9 and A7s. No PP on either shot but the Sony was a jpg and the Leica dng

Lux 50 ASPH at f1.4

1st Shot M9

2nd Shot A7s

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Same deal this time with the 28 Summicron at f2.0

Finally another scene with the 28 Summicron first at f2.0 and then at f8.0. Again Leica first then Sony.

• Like 1

Part III of my review - focussing on hi ISO, is now available here:

Rangefinder Chronicles: The Sony A7s Review Part III - High Sensitivity review

The following are shot at 3200, 10,000, 26,500, 40,000 and 52,200 iso respectively.

Nick

• Like 3

Here's a comparison between the ZM 35 f2.8 and the FE 35 f2.8. All shots wide open and with ZM shots first.

• Like 2

That FE 35 looks very nice. I particularly like the way it renders the gable-end wall and chimney stack in shot #2. This would likely be my one AF lens for the A7s once I make my final decision on the camera. Famous last words, no doubt! :)

I'm sorry if I missed it in an earlier post, Fairkid but could I ask what M-adapter you're using on the A7s?

Edited by Steve P
  • Like 1

Hi Steve,

The adapter is the Novoflex one. I've used the ebay knock offs in the past and they do the job but they wobble a little. The Novoflex is rock solid and makes the lens feel like it should be there.

The FE35 does render a scene really nicely and it is very small too so great for a general walk around.

All in all I'm really happy with the new camera and how my M lenses perform on it. It's not perfect wide open but it's good enough for me.

I think Nick hit the nail on the head in that you can shoot at f5.6 or f8 at a reasonably high shutter speed without having to worry about noise on the image. With my wider lenses that is how I'll use this camera so the edge issue at wide apertures won't be a problem.

I still think the M9 has it beat for overall image quality in good light but it's great to have both in the bag. Also the video is amazing, some of the footage I've captured using the 50 Lux ASPH looks stunning.

I do think that the next iteration of these Sony's will solve the edge issue, perhaps with a curved sensor but for now I'm really happy.

Here are another couple of test shots, this time with the Tele Elmarit

• Like 3

Just to clarify my prev comment... high iso is certainly quite useful for video in low light (like video in the moonlit scene..) but high DR is more useful to still photography (at the ISO used). I would like to example of A7s pics in low light showing advantage of wide DR. There are many cameras that can shoot at iso 3200. Does A7s show better performance at 3200? I chose 3200 because in many night scenes this may be good enough (provided you have faster lens)

Edited by jmahto

Part III of my review - focussing on hi ISO, is now available here:

Rangefinder Chronicles: The Sony A7s Review Part III - High Sensitivity review

Nick

Went through the review... nicely done. I am seeing your point of view. Essentially you are saying that one can use slower aperture (for wide DOF) and/or high shutterspeed (for freezing, long lens..) due to high ISO capability, which is liberating compared to other choices.

Now a quick question:

Review says "...So in terms of actual usability, I found the A7s gives you at least 3 more stops of useable higher iso sensitivity than the M240 and 5 stops more than the M9. "

Does 10,000onA7s retain similar (or better) DR as 800onM or 400onM9 ?

Edited by jmahto

I really don't understand the excitement of high ISO capability !! Give me more dynamic range instead.. which is quite wide in a night scene with bright lights.

I am excited about the A7S. I need high ISO. It will let me work on a photo project, I have been doing for the last two years.

I shoot it in the circus, shows and behind the scene. I will be buying the A7S with the AF OSS 70-200mm. I think that the longer zoom and my M lenses on an adapter hopefully will cover all the shooting situations.

I started doing the project with my Leicas, and see the limitations of the rangefinders there. I don't want to buy a DSLR and lenses for one job, and my Leica S2 is not suitable without any stabilization.

Went through the review... nicely done. I am seeing your point of view. Essentially you are saying that one can use slower aperture (for wide DOF) and/or high shutterspeed (for freezing, long lens..) due to high ISO capability, which is liberating compared to other choices.

Now a quick question:

Review says "...So in terms of actual usability, I found the A7s gives you at least 3 more stops of useable higher iso sensitivity than the M240 and 5 stops more than the M9. "

Does 10,000onA7s retain similar (or better) DR as 800onM or 400onM9 ?

Thanks for the question. I think that is right. I found the M240 had a greater dynamic range than the M9 - one of the improvements I noticed. I didn't do a scientific analysis, but to my eyes the A7R has a similar high DR to the M240. However there are things I didn't like about the A7R -- especially the shutter clunk, related issue with difficult with slow shutter speeds and incompatibility with many wide M lenses. The A7s to my eyes has a very similar DR. Of course it it much lower resolution - 12mp to the M240s 24MP and the A7Rs 36MP - but 12 MP is enough for A3 prints. The advantages of the A7s - high iso, quite shutter and compatibility with M lenses - make it an excellent street camera.

Yes, 10,000 iso is not unlike 1000 iso on the M240, Clean and good enough with decent DR. You can thus use it the A7s with f8 and 1/125s when to have the same clean image with DR on the Ms40 I would expect you would have to shoot at f2.8 and 1/125s. This is not to say the A7s is better then the M240 - I still prefer my Leica M - but it is arguably better for certain things - like my project inside cafes or ynp's in circus'

• Like 3

..... This is not to say the A7s is better then the M240 - I still prefer my Leica M - but it is arguably better for certain things - like my project inside cafes or ynp's in circus'

Thanks. That is indeed a very balanced statement I can't argue with. :)

I am excited about the A7S. I need high ISO. It will let me work on a photo project, I have been doing for the last two years......

Yes, of course. I don't doubt at all that A7s fills the special needs. My comment was more towards general applicability of high ISO as general purpose need.

• Like 1