Canon 50/1.4 LTM on M240

sife71

I've got the 1.8. At the time these lenses were supposed to be better than the Leica products. You'll be fine, with a bit vintage look.

If Canon had managed to get the elements centred properly then many of their designs were optically superior to the equivalent contemporary Leica offering. For some time element centring was a Canon weakness. However the Leica lenses have generally lasted better mechanically and have higher contrast but lower resolution.

The Canon 100 mm f/3.5 lens from the 1960's was a benchmark optical design.

Excellent lens on both the M/M9 and MM, although I have a preference for the 50/1.4 for colour and the 50/1.8 on the MM.

I don't find CA objectionable at all - quite the opposite, actually. It's also rather resistant to flare, although I always use a hood.

Like with any old lens, make sure you allow some budget for a proper CLA.

Yes, works fine. They are vintage lenses, so have the shortcomings that others have pointed out, but are an excellent value compared to Leitz stuff from the same time period.

Example (f/2, ISO 1600):

12513831413_e255180764_o.jpg

Does anyone have experience how working the Canon 50/1.4 LTM lens on M240? I looking for a cheap 50 mm lens. Thank you
Edited by furcafe

The Canon 100 mm f/3.5 lens from the 1960's was a benchmark optical design.

Interested to hear this- I have the somewhat rare Canon 100mm f2 lens and it is pretty much awesome.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Interested to hear this- I have the somewhat rare Canon 100mm f2 lens and it is pretty much awesome.

If I recall correctly the 100 mm f/2 lens was for an SLR type camera. I was lent one for a short period at the time and I agree it was a star performer.

The 100 mm f/3.5 was a LTM lens which rotated as it was focused.

It was about that time that a high percentage of press photographers started to change to Canon and Nikon lenses. They were convinced, and there was some evidence to support their view, that pictures taken with these lenses yielded images that had more "snap" when they appeared in the newspapers.

A story at the time was that a picture of a cat taken with a Canon lens showed the cat but not the whiskers whereas the same picture taken with a Leica lens showed the whiskers but not the cat.

• Like 1

+1. Ditto for the (even rarer) 85/1.8.

The main advantage of the 100/3.5 compared to the 100/2 is its small size and weight. But of course, it's slower.

If I recall correctly the 100 mm f/2 lens was for an SLR type camera. I was lent one for a short period at the time and I agree it was a star performer.

The 100 mm f/3.5 was a LTM lens which rotated as it was focused.

It was about that time that a high percentage of press photographers started to change to Canon and Nikon lenses. They were convinced, and there was some evidence to support their view, that pictures taken with these lenses yielded images that had more "snap" when they appeared in the newspapers.

A story at the time was that a picture of a cat taken with a Canon lens showed the cat but not the whiskers whereas the same picture taken with a Leica lens showed the whiskers but not the cat.

actually my black paint Canon f2 100mm is a LTM rangefinder coupled lens, and it works like the 3.5- the aperture ring rotates on the barrel when you focus. But it focuses really accurately on my M, working well with the 90mm framelines.

I don't have the Canon 50 1.5 but I do have the 50 1.2 ltm which is a great lens to look at- very fat piece of glass (pancake Noctilux?), similar looking to the much more pricey sought after 0.95. A little soft wide open (no surprises) but i like the look and really quite good stopped down as a standard 50 lens. The infinity lock is a little annoying though...

in keeping with the Cat theme:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jaques

actually my black paint Canon f2 100mm is a LTM rangefinder coupled lens....

I don't recall encountering the 100mm f/2 in an LTM mount - perhaps it is quite rare

I don't have the Canon 50 1.5 but I do have the 50 1.2 ltm which is a great lens to look at- very fat piece of glass (pancake Noctilux?), similar looking to the much more pricey sought after 0.95. A little soft wide open (no surprises) but i like the look and really quite good stopped down as a standard 50 lens. The infinity lock is a little annoying though...

in keeping with the Cat theme:

I had a 50 mm f/1.2 for many years. As you say a bit soft at f1.2 but I took a lot of pictures at friend's weddings etc. taking advantage of this and the pictures were always much admired - I had to get lots of reprints.