Knob or Lever Rewind ?

My first rangefinder was a very beaten Olympus 35RC. What a little diamond it was, but the crank was missing from start Ive got it. So the "knob rewind" method is kinda known to me. When finaly my first Leica M2 arrived it was awesome to continue knobbing my film. By the way, you can fasten the knob rewind process when you turn the rewind knob in one direction and the camera in the other. Or just do it the way from the picture I have posted. Just swing it over your head and make the crowds fear about you :D

when film was a necessary only choice photograph option in 35mm world, the lever rewind was necessary for me -- speed! Now that film is a contemplative choice, I really enjoy the knob on the MA, kind of like sipping a fine single malt. No reason to rush, you will get there soon enough.

• Like 1

Michael, you are supposed to fold away the re-wind lever when advancing (shooting). That will be kinder to your nose. :)

However it seems you have sorted the problem by preferring the 'knob' solution.

Thanks Erl,

That made me laugh. It reminds me of Homer Simpson in the gym "my head's going to be sore in the morning" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4i8SpNgzA4

I do prefer the knob solution, but alas only have an M6...

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by michaelwj
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find this thread rather interesting. I had never thought about it before, just used the knob on my M3 and the lever on my M6 & M7 and found them different but equally efficient. I did try a CameraQuest rewind lever for my M2 but was never over impressed. I suppose we have got so used to no rewind on a digital camera and auto rewind on most later film cameras that we have, now, been forced to think about it on our Leica cameras. Oh well it gives us something to discuss. What do others think of the add-on levers?

One thing to note: the rewind knob on some cameras is tighter than others. I have 2 M3's, one is super smooth/easy to rewind, really no issue at all. The other does induce a bit of discomfort because it is quite tight to turn. I've now sent the M3 with the tight rewind knob off to a top technician in Japan who is going to overhaul it and correct that issue (amongst others).

• Like 2

By the way, you can fasten the knob rewind process when you turn the rewind knob in one direction and the camera in the other.

I have loved reading this post ...and that is the most imaginative use of the word "fasten" I have ever come across in my life!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

After having a M6 and a M6 TTL with the later version of the lever rewind, I was less than impressed with the construction. Loved the M2 knob and found it not only to be sturdy but also faster than expected. Now I have a early production M4 with the solid brass lever and it’s a whole different feel from the M6. Almost as solid and sturdy as the M2.

Edited by madNbad