Knob or Lever Rewind ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you have a preference or does it make no difference.

Personally I think I favor the rewind of the M2, as in the short time I've had an M6 I've found that the strap (when carried round the neck or shoulder) turns the film rewind anti-clockwise, thus slackening the film. Not sure if this has any negative effects on film transport?

• Like 1

Knob, but...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

s-a

My first M Leica, an M4, had the lever and for years I just assumed it was better than the knob. Now, also owning two "knob" cameras, an MP and an M2-R, I prefer that method of rewinding; I don't even find it that much slower than the lever and as others have suggested it's a stronger, more reliable mechanism. I've had two repair bills for bent lever mechanisms over the years.

You need the Leica clockwise strap 11481333.

Steve

Good idea Steve, I'd forgotten about those. However they're such a pain to fit without Leica's special lefthanded screwdriver 420-7432-116 which is stupidly expensive.

Edited by Leica Fanatic
extra
  • Like 1

There was quite a market for these.

I am aware of the various after-market cranks to fit rewind knobs shown, and I recognise some users find them a useful. Indeed a good friend of mine uses and swears by his for his M2.

With regard to screw Leicas, in the article reference is made about the crank being "rare" with just ten being made, which in my book doesn’t equate to being “quite a market”.

Is there a demand for after-market cranks to fit screw Leicas?

With regard to screw Leicas, in the article reference is made about the crank being "rare" with just ten being made, which in my book doesn’t equate to being “quite a market”.

Is there a demand for after-market cranks to fit screw Leicas?

A better question to ask is whether there is big demand for LSM Leicas. I think not, but certainly the outliers here will take the opportunity to mention themselves.

A better question to ask is whether there is big demand for LSM Leicas. I think not, but certainly the outliers here will take the opportunity to mention themselves.

I think they have a strong following?

Before getting the M2, I seriously considered a Screw Mount.

What put me off was the need for an exacting film leader, the separate viewing and focusing windows and the fiddly knob film advance.

• Like 1