S size bags

Printmaker

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Do you think the misspelling makes it cuter?

Jeff

Did I miss spell something............you can't trust Apple now a days with there auto spelleir 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I didn't comment on your first dozen or so mentions, but now that you I own it, I figured you'd want to know how to pronounce it.

Enjoy.

Jeff

I just googled it....OMG its a bloody girls name

It would sound much better if it was Harley :) :) :)

Another possibility for the Leica S plus some lenses: the Think Tank Sling-O-Matic 30. I found it yesterday here in Madrid, and bought it at once.

There is a big difference between the messenger and the sling concepts. Carrying the bag sling-wise is much better for the shoulder.

There is room inside the 30 model for the Leica S with a lens, plus two more S lenses, and a small camera, even a Leica M. A 15" laptop fits as well. So the capacity is more or less the same as with the CityWalker 30.

I highly recommend this bag.

PS: Strangely enough, it seems to be discontinued on the manufacturer's web page...

• Like 1

FYI - Billingham Photo Eventer works fine for the Leica S body with the 70mm lens attached (hood reversed), without the handgrip + one other lens (in my case the 180mm). Handgrip, spare battery, light meter, etc. fit in front pocket(s). Not much room left for anything else (which is fine for my purposes).

• 4 months later...

I have been researching and have not looked at Oberweth but they seem too small for my use. I am looking at the Billingham 307. Yes it wieghs 4.5 pounds but it will hold my S007 and three lens kit. It is well padded. I could not find a Munster version of thd Oberwerth. They seem very expensive as well.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Okay here is my set up now;

Equipment to haul

Leica S Body

Leica 70mm S Lens

Leica 120mm S Lens CS

Leica 30mm S Lens CS

Lee 150 Filter system (3 GND filters, 82mm adapter and holder)

82mm 10 stop ND

82mm 3 stop ND

Spare battery

cleaning brush and cloth

I have the Billingham 335 for hauling everything and today bought the Billingham Haley Small for carrying 2 lenses and all the accessories for when I am out shooting...........i.e. walking around a village or heading into deepest darkest Africa with the camera and one lens around my neck and the rest of the gear in the Haley Small

Billingham 335 packed.......the bottle of Jack is to give you a sense of size

attachicon.gifIMG_0697.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0699.JPG

side by side

attachicon.gifIMG_0702.JPG

Haley Small packed

attachicon.gifIMG_0703.JPG

I'm now back using a pelican case to haul my shit from a to b and then I put camera and lens around my neck and a Harley Pro with two lenses and filters. My old lady took the Harley small [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks for all of the replies. I ended up getting a Filson Field Camera Bag. It looks great and matches the ancient LL Bean canvas backpack I usually take as carry-on for short trips. My only serious complaint is that there is no protected place for my laptop. I guess I've gotten spoiled using my Hadley Pro which holds two M bodies with lenses mounted and two spare lenses along with batteries, cards and a 13" Macbook Pro. I was hoping for a similar bag for the S. My solution for travel was simply to leave the computer home, take a few extra SD cards and just use my iPhone for internet connection and email. This left the open outside back pocket of the Filson free for maps and to stash some of the junk my wife picks up along the way.

I've put about 40,000 miles on this bag over the last 9 months and it has held up well. No loose threads or quality problems. It has a few scratches and marks but nothing serious. Just enough to show it is not new. It has been through some heavy rains and driving winds without leaking. I carried it through some dicy neighborhoods without feeling that it screamed "expensive camera inside."  Overall I'm pleased with my choice. But the Scot in me still objects to spending $320 for a yard or two of canvas and a little leather trim — no matter how nicely it was sewn.

Sorry guys 

30K of equipment needs a bit of protection ....

My choice is LowePro Kata and Think Tank ... in order of decreasing padding and likelihood of damage.

Long distance the LP Flipside 400 would be my choice.

My Wotancraft Ranger is a bit small for the S system.

Half of my outdoor wardrobe is FIlson ... but I would rather have another kilo of padding on a camera of this nature.

Bob

True enough, there is no padding on the Filson. But  I also have a LowePro fitted case which slips into a Pelican 1450 that I use when sailing or traveling off-road. That combo is bullet proof. I wanted something light to use as a travel/shoulder/field bag. The Filson is not perfect but it lets me work out of the bag and not force me to look for a table where I can open the case to get the camera out. However, the way this bag is constructed, I could slip some padding on the bottom and might do one day if it turns out to be an issue.

I have a Filson Camera Field Bag that I really love to use with my M's, but I have to admit that the interior was too flimsy for my taste and I ended up buying a bag inset on Amazon to replace the provided dividers. Works like a charm. I can pack it anywhere from very light to 4 M bodies with lenses attached with spare batteries, filters, and so on.

For the S, I have yet to figure out what I want to use. I have a Billingham 550 which is plenty large, but I am not a fan of the dividers in it. I may have to research a configurable insert for that bag. I also like the Filson McCurry. Also, back in my DSLR days I had a Lowepro classified 250 messenger bag that was great for larger gear and well padded. Decent looking bag, especially in Sepia, but not like the Filson. 

I do wonder if a backpack may be a decent way to travel as the weight would be better supported and many backpacks have facility for a tripod.