S size bags

Printmaker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lately I've found the Thinktank Street Walker 30 to be a good way of carrying the S with one lens fitted, plus 2 more lenses.

I have the 30, the 70 and the Pentax 6x7 45 mm (on a Zörk shift adapter).

All that gear is heavy, but the Street Walker 30's strap and padding is very good.

I also have the König LiteBag 2 with the S insert: it's a nice solution, much lighter.

• Like 1

I am so pleased with the König bag, that I ordered from Herrn König a LiteBag 4 bag, with a special insert organization for the Leica S with 1 lens fitted, plus 2 more lenses, plus one Leica M with a lens fitted, plus 1 M lens. That is going to be heavy, but I plan to carry it either as a backpack, or as a trolley.

I'm considering the possibility of buying the 30-90 lens, that would make everything a lot more easy to carry: the Leica S with the 30-90 for color, the MM with a couple of lenses for B/W.

A question that is slowly taking shape: is my Leica M(240) becoming redundant for doing color?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Bill

Yesterday I bought a Billingham 335. I also have the Haley Pro and no the S won't fit in the Haley Pro. The 335 IMO is the next best choice. Yesterday while buying the 335 I had the whole Billingham collection strewen all across the showroom floor trying all the different combinations............there would have been trouble in that store had I not walked out with one of there bags :) :) :)

I am so pleased with the König bag, that I ordered from Herrn König a LiteBag 4 bag, with a special insert organization for the Leica S with 1 lens fitted, plus 2 more lenses, plus one Leica M with a lens fitted, plus 1 M lens. That is going to be heavy, but I plan to carry it either as a backpack, or as a trolley.

I'm considering the possibility of buying the 30-90 lens, that would make everything a lot more easy to carry: the Leica S with the 30-90 for color, the MM with a couple of lenses for B/W.

A question that is slowly taking shape: is my Leica M(240) becoming redundant for doing color?

There is an inexpensive Leica S 30-90 sold on eBay now, btw.

I am trying to configure the Konig LiteBag4 for the S2P + 30-90+120+180 + charger and battery to get a waterproof lightweight solution instead of my Pelican for boating. I commute almost dally on my RHIB boat when we are in SE Asia.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is an inexpensive Leica S 30-90 sold on eBay now, btw.

Thanks man but I am away to get a new 30mm and 120mm both CS. although I liked the idea of the zoom I decided to take the faster primes as I just don't like the results of the files shooting above base ISO

• Like 1

Bill

Yesterday I bought a Billingham 335. I also have the Haley Pro and no the S won't fit in the Haley Pro. The 335 IMO is the next best choice. Yesterday while buying the 335 I had the whole Billingham collection strewen all across the showroom floor trying all the different combinations............there would have been trouble in that store had I not walked out with one of there bags :) :) :)

Thanks for your research. I had hoped the Pro would work with just one extra lens. I have no way to even look an an S locally before buying one.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Thanks for your research. I had hoped the Pro would work with just one extra lens. I have no way to even look an an S locally before buying one.

Me the same Bill.......I loved the size of my Haley Pro but I couldn't get the S body with the 70mm lens attached in the bag, you could probably get the body and one lens (unattached) in that bag but that would be a pain in the arse for me.

If your still on the fence as to buying the S...get one mate you will love it and instantly see the better IQ over the M system :)

I have the eventer, but it is not ideal to carry the S system. It is rather shallow, so probably you can only fit the camera with the 70mm. Other lenses are too tall. On the other hand, the bag is quite heavy. 

Any one tried the Incase Pro DSLR backpack for the S?   I am thinking about buying the Incase to fit  a S with a total of 3 lenses. 

I don't know whether it is possible to fit an M with the S setup together in that bag? 

George 

I've tried a number of shoulder bags and found that the dividers, especially the ones sewn as in the Domke, were just not wide enough for the lenses. I came across the Think Tank Airport Navigator. It is a short roller case with entry from the top or front and also has a shoulder strap. I am able to put my S2-P, the 30MM, the 35MM, the 70MM and the 120MM comfortably within the case. There is a little extra room for cables, the charger and a couple of filters. Considering the overall weight of the kit and the trouble I have with my shoulders, I think this small roller is ideal for the way I shoot. 

If you want to check it out further, here is a link to the bag - http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-navigator.aspx

Just got the ONA Union Street and it fits like a charm! (and is quality wise up to Leica standards) ;-)

I usually carry around camera with a lens attached, one or two extra lenses, 15" laptop, some small bits n pieces like phone, wallet, extra battery etc. 

Let's face it: the S system is heavy, not because of the body, but because of the lenses.

The problem is not size, but weight.

A messenger bag, hanging from one or the other shoulder, should itself be the less heavy as possible.

Therefore I avoid leather as the main material in a bag. I prefer 1 kg less (that's usually the difference between synthetic materials and leather in a bag this big), even if this means giving up the tactile pleasure of a leather bag.

A backpack is another story, of course: weight hangs from both shoulders.

Only because of this heaviness I am thinking seriously in buying the 30-90 zoom... even if this lens weights 1,3 kg, 0,2 or 0,3 more than usual.

The S + 30-90 and the Koenig LiteBag 2, that's it.

• Like 1

Anyone know it the Billingham 225 would work for the S with 70 attached and a 30. I am just going by the dimensions as I am not able to actually try one out here in Austin, TX. I am trying to go as minimal as I can weight wise.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Anyone know it the Billingham 225 would work for the S with 70 attached and a 30. I am just going by the dimensions as I am not able to actually try one out here in Austin, TX. I am trying to go as minimal as I can weight wise.

Bill I looked at the 225 and No it won't fit :(

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Okay here is my set up now;

Equipment to haul

Leica S Body

Leica 70mm S Lens

Leica 120mm S Lens CS

Leica 30mm S Lens CS

Lee 150 Filter system (3 GND filters, 82mm adapter and holder)

82mm 10 stop ND

82mm 3 stop ND

Spare battery

cleaning brush and cloth

I have the Billingham 335 for hauling everything and today bought the Billingham Haley Small for carrying 2 lenses and all the accessories for when I am out shooting...........i.e. walking around a village or heading into deepest darkest Africa with the camera and one lens around my neck and the rest of the gear in the Haley Small

Billingham 335 packed.......the bottle of Jack is to give you a sense of size

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

side by side

Haley Small packed

• Like 1