Zeiss 85mm f/4 Tele-Tessar T* ZM, whose got one?

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

is the

I sold my ZM85/4 for a second hand Leica 90/4 Macro ( without the macro bits )  

The new cost of the Leica 90 Macro is scandalous for a simple 4 element lens, which is why first went for the Zeiss.

I was happy with the performance of the Zeiss, but I perceived the smaller size of the Leica 90/4 would be beneficial, so when a used one was offered at a good price, I traded up.

I certainly have been carrying it far more often than the Zeiss.

The 28/2.8, 50/2.8 and 90/4 have worked out well for me as a compact travel set.

Is the F/4 limiting? 

• Like 1

Is the F/4 limiting?

Yes, especially for if you want to take photos in low light conditions or isolate subjects by using extremely shallow depth of field. And it could be a problem if you shoot film and use ISO 50 emulsions in dull weather or towards dusk. But otherwise, f4 imposes few limitations on the photographer using a digital camera.. Remember also that if it did turn out to restrict your photography, you can always sell the lens and replace it with something more appropriate to your needs.

• 9 months later...

This one is wide open at MFD

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

This is also wide open but more further away:

• Like 4

Great shots! Thank you for sharing. is there a substantial difference between the 90mm frame line and the 85mm Focal length?

Thank you! On my M9 there was a visible somewhat annoying difference because the framelines were calibrated at 1 meter. But you learn quickly to frame a bit tightly. On the M240 no problem. The difference is minimal.

• Like 1

On a Fuji X-Pro 1 at f/5.6.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Zeiss lenses are famous for their T* coatings. They are next to impossible to flare. I have hoods for all my ZM lenses but never use them.

Without doubt, the 35C seems near-impervious but even the large-diameter front element lenses, like the 2/85 and 1,4/35?

Without doubt, the 35C seems near-impervious but even the large-diameter front element lenses, like the 2/85 and 1,4/35?

The only exception is the 85/2, it really flares easily. But that seems to be a conscious decision by the Zeiss engineers who wanted the lens to have a classic look wide open. I haven't used any other Zeiss that flares, and I did own/try practically all of them :)

I sold my ZM85/4 for a second hand Leica 90/4 Macro ( without the macro bits )

The new cost of the Leica 90 Macro is scandalous for a simple 4 element lens, which is why first went for the Zeiss.

I was happy with the performance of the Zeiss, but I perceived the smaller size of the Leica 90/4 would be beneficial, so when a used one was offered at a good price, I traded up.

I certainly have been carrying it far more often than the Zeiss.

The 28/2.8, 50/2.8 and 90/4 have worked out well for me as a compact travel set.

but could you comment on the IQ difference, separation etc?