Leica recommend non-contact cleaning only by users

wlaidlaw

Now that’s an idea, especially since a lot of sensor cleaning is performed here, on all kinds of Leica cameras. It won’t make the next issue, though, and also not the photokina issue since there is so much we need to cover in that issue as is.

You might check an article from 7 years ago (July, 2007, p.50) that addressed sensor dust and cleaning issues.

Jeff

• Like 1

Well, you could argue that lollipop cleaners are newer than 2007 at least. I have been considering one but so far without settling on which one to buy. Maybe I still feel gun shy after Jaap's bad experience some time back.

I like the idea of an updated LFI article. It could cover newer products, Leica's own cleaning methods (including why some cameras find their way into owners' hands and still have spots) and why Leica decided to issue the email, which I also received and found puzzling.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wasn’t Jaap’s bad experience with those horrible sticky pads, on which I had a very lucky escape, where the pad split in half peeling off the backing paper, rather than trying to peel off the sensor, as in Jaaps’ case. In that the Eye-Lead or similar’s jelly tot is all in one bit, you will not get the splitting issue. That said I have not found the Eye-lead terribly effective on my M240, whereas it is fine on my M9. I guess my M240 is still spitting out lumps of Wetzlar Goblin Snot onto the sensor. The Eye-lead is really dust removal only and will not cope with greasy spots, which need an old fashioned mop and cleaning liquid.

Wilson

But the Eye-Lead Gummibärchen is the only way that I can get my Monochrom spotless. Despite my rather nasty experience with the DustAid thing, I quite like the Eyeylead one.

• Like 2

Moi? I guess....;)

I was being sarcastic….of course things have happened in 7 years to warrant a more current view.

My point was that there's a prior article in LFI that Michael may not have realized, as his comment suggested that such an article would be a good new idea.

This gives him a reference point. There may even be suggestions in that old article that no longer hold favor. ;)

Jeff

That article from LFI 7/2007 is definitely out of date by now and in any case this kind of issue surely warrants coverage every couple of years. 7 years ago might as well be the Pleistocene in the publishing world.

• Like 1

Whereas an LFI article is fine, what percentage of digital M users buy it and read it? I have not been a subscriber for a few months now. The cleaning methodology should be a video plus detailed instructions, downloadable from the Leica-Camera websites.

Wilson

• Like 2

That article from LFI 7/2007 is definitely out of date by now and in any case this kind of issue surely warrants coverage every couple of years. 7 years ago might as well be the Pleistocene in the publishing world.

You're welcome.

BTW, I agree with the comment, hence my response to Jaap….posts 24 &29.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

But the Eye-Lead Gummibärchen is the only way that I can get my Monochrom spotless. Despite my rather nasty experience with the DustAid thing, I quite like the Eyeylead one.

I like it as well, but it still needs some care. Plonk it on and yank it straight off and you can almost feel the cover glass flex, but roll it on and roll it off and it works brilliantly. Sometimes if you accidentally twist the pad on the sensor it can leave a slight mark, looks a bit like spread oil, but it lifts right off again by re-applying the pad. The Eyelead is definitely the thing to use unless there is obvious oil, which itself seems to be becoming rarer and rarer.

Steve

• Like 1

I am quite amazed that in 2014, almost two decades after practical digital consumer cameras are on the market the topic of detailed sensor cleaning is not included in manufacturers user manuals.

It is really astounding that still today the topic creates a flurry of uncertainty with users new to the concept of sensor cleaning and doubt what method and products leave their camera undamaged.

In my opinion it is the responsibility of the manufacturers to thoroughly instruct their customers in a professional sensor cleaning, as it is absolutely part of operating and maintaining a digital camera as we all know.

As I am aware, Leica gives advice in their manuals how to clean their cameras and lenses, why not a thorough work through of a proper sensor cleaning?

This email indeed either reads as an apprentice did have his 10min of fame or in fact Leica's Customer Service operation did not reach their Q2 budgetary performance and needs some urgent turnover in Q3 to save the year … Let the camera shipments back to Wetzlar begin …

On a curious note - when I picked up some repaired gear in Wetzlar earlier this year, I had a good chat with a technician who worked on a complete CLA of my S2 and performed a sensor replacement on my M9.

Opposing the emails advice of sensor cleaning, he mentioned:

- never ever use compressed air to remove dust (we know the liquid byproduct reaching the sensor as well)

- do not use a blower bulb for dust cleaning a sensor (as the dust which is blown off the sensor will move to another spot INSIDE the camera and eventually return to the sensor, or reach other areas as the viewfinder in the process - he advices to use a vacuum method instead, as in their workshop)

- to use a physical dust removal method as their main method, utilising the Pentax method

- to use IPA and a swap as the last procedure, if remaining dirt is seen on the sensor

Is it striking that in this context the advice given to consumers in the discussed email is complete vapour?

I just read the email. Remarkable. To suggest that you not use an aperture smaller than f/4 on your $10,000+ camera/lens combination just so you don't expose dust on your sensor? It is stunning that any employee of a camera company, barring the janitorial staff, would send out such an email. And in addition, they suggest using pressurized gas?? The stunning thing about that part of the statement is that obviously someone involved was informed enough to recommend an 'inert gas such as nitrogen', but not informed enough to know that you run the risk of freezing your sensor cover glass by spraying any compressed gas onto your sensor.

Incredible.

This is extremely insulting to the 'janitorial' staff - and worse is the use of that word to the English language. :rolleyes:

Osscat

• 3 weeks later...
I just read the email. Remarkable. To suggest that you not use an aperture smaller than f/4 on your $10,000+ camera/lens combination just so you don't expose dust on your sensor? (--)

Incredible.

Maybe it is an upbeat to a new shutter that has integrated cleaning as part of a $ 10.000 body? Then this is a marketing ploy to create awareness . . not something a junior staff member would do in the holiday season (what we call the 'komkommertijd' in Holland, the time of 'canards' as the French might describe it.