Did anyone go back to M9 after M240

BerndReini

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had to sell my M9 in order to afford the M-240.  I much prefer how the M9 felt in my hand and its overall look.  In all other regards I prefer my newly acquired M-240.  I use the same cards in my M-240 as I used in the M9 and do not see delayed startup times.  I profiled the M-240 (as I did with my M8.2 and M9) and don't see any color differences in my images.  I shoot with the M-240 just as I did with the M9 - no EVF, liveview, or video.  Disregarding these functions it is still superior as a camera to my M9 in all respects.

But I do miss the handling and aesthetics of the M9.  Fortunately I still have the M9 Monochrom.

• Like 2

I had to sell my M9 in order to afford the M-240. I much prefer how the M9 felt in my hand and its overall look. In all other regards I prefer my newly acquired M-240. I use the same cards in my M-240 as I used in the M9 and do not see delayed startup times. I profiled the M-240 (as I did with my M8.2 and M9) and don't see any color differences in my images. I shoot with the M-240 just as I did with the M9 - no EVF, liveview, or video. Disregarding these functions it is still superior as a camera to my M9 in all respects.

But I do miss the handling and aesthetics of the M9. Fortunately I still have the M9 Monochrom.

So the M262 would be the right camera for You as it is for me.

Elmar

The M9 - M240 "color difference" is immense to me, but I just don't know if I can give up LiveView convenience for landscape use.

I would certainly miss being able to reasonably easily use Graduated filters. But now I type that, it alone isn't a very compelling argument for the M240. The other features, video, buffer, mp etc. are meaningless for me.

Very tempted to swop back, but just don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

I have to say that everyone that loves the features of the M240 over the M9 and doesn't mind extra weight, should really try out the new SL. I know it isn't a rangefinder, but it brings all the innovations of the M240 to perfection. I've been testing one for a couple of days and posted some portraits in the SL image thread. The user experience of that camera is pretty phenomenal.

One of five in stock at Ffordes, a new ME is on its way to me today! Their sale price of £2999 must be the lowest in the UK, after Wilkinson's pre-Christmas stock ran out (£2699 there at the time). Sold my 240/EVF quite quickly, and looking forward to CCD sensor again.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings.  Not exactly there, but close enough to share.  I had the opportunity to use the M240 as a loaner while the M9 in NJ for sensor change.  I used the M240 for two weeks, and certainly enjoyed the better body features, most notably the higher ISO capability and the longer battery life.  Live view and video were nice features to have too.  

As for IQ, I did not feel that I benefited a lot from the increase in pixels to 24MP from 18MP, but maybe I was not critical enough.  Color output with nice, but certainly different, and less pleasing to that of the CCD from M9.  Was it "nice enough" to justify move to M240--the jury is still out, but till now, no.  Till I really make up my mind, the M9 will remain the main camera body.   As I need a backup,  I may add another M9 and leave it at that.  Enjoy in good health.  

Edited by ibramr
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an example of someone who was very inspired by the M9, went for the M240 and wanted to go back largely due to the feel of the images in the M240 despite being technically superior.

http://mrleica.com/2016/01/24/leica-m-240/

Most people I know who've went for the M240 love it over the M9. For me, there's something I like about the old school frame lines which go along with the feeling of the M series and most importantly, I'm very satisfied with the image quality, so the M9 remains in my bag.

• Like 2