Did anyone go back to M9 after M240

BerndReini

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you guys so much for all your input. I really needed all the advice. I had an opportunity to buy a like new M240 with accessories for a very good price, but after some serious soul-searching I realized that I was only considering it because it was a good deal. I would not have gone out of my way to buy one otherwise, so in an exercise of self-control, I passed on this opportunity.

• Like 3

No mistake, you won't regret. I have bought my M in early December last year. Hat my M9 aside for a cupola of weeks an decided to sell it. For the M9 look in my bm images I bought the MM.

I think you will find more opportunities in the future since you're not alone with that issue. And perhaps next year a new M will be announced...?

Who cares, and if it isn't a real bargain shoot your m9 as long as possible this camera is wonderful.

• Like 2

I owned an M8.2 then an M9 (few months) and now I have a M. If it wasn't for the high ISO I'd never had switched from the M9 and I'd probably be happy.

Unless you need high ISO, or you use very wide or tele lenses (in those cases the EVF helps a lot) I would not switch.

You knew what? I would probably spend money on the upgrade to M9-P.. That camera is beautiful!!

Nicola

• Like 3

Idk, so far the M240's jpg color has been gorgeous using AWB, something I could never achieve with the M9. I haven't had the camera long enough to have encountered every kind of lighting and subject, so there may very well be times when I'll be tearing my hair out trying to adjust color in jpg and curse myself for having not shot dng. Most likely when I travel and come upon a really awesome shot that I think I'll want to print, I'll shoot jpg-fine+dng just in case I can't get the jpg to my satisfaction.

Sorry to go off topic but, why do you guys shot JPEG?? From a $7000 camera and few other grands lens I want to get the best. I was talking about it with a friend few days ago and he was saying that JPEG shouldn't even be an option on this kind of camera.

Nicola

• Like 4

I seem to be the only one who shoots jpg. Or at least the only one who admits to it. My reason, as stated before, is that what I enjoy about photography is the going out taking photographs. I despise cloistering myself indoors doing post processing whether it was in a wet darkroom or behind a computer. I had a great lab in the film days but they are gone. Now my "lab" is the in-camera processing algorithms.

I pay the premium for a digital Leica because I like an optical rangefinder and to use the lenses I've been using for decades. I paid the premium to upgrade to the M240 in part precisely because its jpgs are a quantum leap above the M9. I'm really not in competition with anyone. If yall's prints from dngs look better than mine from jpgs, good for yall. Idrc.

• Like 2

Well, I would never buy the M240. Yes the Shutter is nice, the slight improvement in ISO is nice as well, but its fatter, lacks the frame leaver and most important is does not have that Kodak CCD.

So, yes I keep my M9P and the only other M I would love to own but cannot justify is the superb M Monochrom!

B

• Like 1

<sigh> I have the two side by side. If there is any difference in thickness it is irrelevantly small. Leica made a mistake when the published the dimensions. They should have made clear that the thickness included the thumb wheel....

• Like 2

I sold a M9, bought the new M. Then I had second thoughts and rebought a M9p.

Running some comparisons I couldn't make up my mind, sometimes prefer M9 color , sometimes new M color.

Comparing both cams side by side makes me realize how much faster the new M is. No waiting for camera any more. At the moment I use the new M more often. Operation speed and user interface is the main reason. And I like the battery.

I don't need EVF.

If I could just make up my mind ;)

One comment: if you ask."who witched back to M9" you will get a one-sided answers. Same like if you asked "who likes the new M better than the M9" just in opposite direction.

Cheers, Tom

PS:I think both are great cameras

• Like 1

<sigh> I have the two side by side. If there is any difference in thickness it is irrelevantly small. Leica made a mistake when the published the dimensions. They should have made clear that the thickness included the thumb wheel....

The issue for me is the thumb wheel and the hump that houses it happens to be exactly where my thumb has rested against the top plate throughout my years with the M8 and then M9. So in terms of how it affects the way the camera feels in my hands, the entire camera might just as well have been thickened 5mm.

OTOH the (more or less) obligatory plastic EVF-port-cover protrudes almost as much as the thumb wheel, but it is of no consequence to me whatsoever. Idk if it would affect me if I were a left-eyed shooter, because I'm not. I never missed the film advance lever when switching to the M8, because I never used it as a thumb rest in all my years with film bodies. I tried a Thumbs-up and took it off quickly. Yet some people feel it's an essential accessory. Ergonomics is a very individual thing, and some people are more sensitive to tactile differences than others.

If I intended keeping my M9, I think I would always be distracted by the difference in how the two cameras feel. But since I plan on selling the M9 and have not used it since getting the M240, I have already adjusted to it.

• Like 1

The issue for me is the thumb wheel and the hump that houses it happens to be exactly where my thumb has rested against the top plate throughout my years with the M8 and then M9. So in terms of how it affects the way the camera feels in my hands, the entire camera might just as well have been thickened 5mm.

OTOH the (more or less) obligatory plastic EVF-port-cover protrudes almost as much as the thumb wheel, but it is of no consequence to me whatsoever. Idk if it would affect me if I were a left-eyed shooter, because I'm not. I never missed the film advance lever when switching to the M8, because I never used it as a thumb rest in all my years with film bodies. I tried a Thumbs-up and took it off quickly. Yet some people feel it's an essential accessory. Ergonomics is a very individual thing, and some people are more sensitive to tactile differences than others.

If I intended keeping my M9, I think I would always be distracted by the difference in how the two cameras feel. But since I plan on selling the M9 and have not used it since getting the M240, I have already adjusted to it.

When I go back to the M9p I now feel that the turning wheel and the buttons are less ergonomic and smooth that the wheel and buttons on the new M.

Specially with the new firmware I love how fast I now can adjust EV+/- .

I do agree that the new M feels a little fatter and heavier and this is one of the few factors where I slightly preferred the M9 - no big deal though.

It is amazing how one adapts. When I pick up a film M nowadays it feels uncomfortably thin in my hands and I always try squeezing it too much. Strangely my iiif feels "normal", so probably the overall dimensions have to do with it.

• Like 1

By all technical considerations, M is better. However if you do not use high iso, like frame selector, and USB port, keep the M9. I am not upgrading.

I will maybe someday when they fix the red line problem. Can not see sending a camera in to fix a dead pixel. No other brand has this problem. Then the ham hands screw up the camera cosmetically, mess up the RF, and the problem can come back next week. It is like they don`t care about your investment.