APO 50 images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

another

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

One more that I hadn't looked at on the new monitor.  I really do love this lens.  

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Winter Walk

M10 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many of the previous images have that biting sharpness and rapid focus falloff. I fear those characteristics are missing from my copy. I am worried that either my 50 APO needs calibration or I am just blind to my own images.

What do you guys think of the below (all shot on an M10)? I'm not sure if the other images are making adjustments to sharpness in LR, but I am not. Yes, these are sharp, but I feel they lack that "pop" or medium format look that a lot of people describe the 50 APO by. 

Edited by flipsa00

A few more:

1 hour ago, flipsa00 said:

Many of the previous images have that biting sharpness and rapid focus falloff. I fear those characteristics are missing from my copy. I am worried that either my 50 APO needs calibration or I am just blind to my own images.

What do you guys think of the below (all shot on an M10)? I'm not sure if the other images are making adjustments to sharpness in LR, but I am not. Yes, these are sharp, but I feel they lack that "pop" or medium format look that a lot of people describe the 50 APO by. 

Welcome to the forum 

Tough to judge sharpness over this resolution 

Are you shooting with the OVF? If you have an EVF, just check for focus consistency. Maybe you're missing focus due to the RF being off, or the lens is misfocusing.

My first copy had severe front focus issues, I took it to Wetzlar and they fixed it. 

I do notice significant green fringing which is unusual: 

7 hours ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

Welcome to the forum 

Tough to judge sharpness over this resolution 

Are you shooting with the OVF? If you have an EVF, just check for focus consistency. Maybe you're missing focus due to the RF being off, or the lens is misfocusing.

My first copy had severe front focus issues, I took it to Wetzlar and they fixed it. 

I do notice significant green fringing which is unusual: 

Thanks for the warm welcome, Hari!

Yikes that this green fringing is unusual. And I saw your crop of the gentleman on the bike, too. 😫 Is this type of fringing a symptom of an out of alignment lens?

This would be my first experience with sending something to Leica for repair. I dropped my Summilux-FLE 35 in Amsterdam around December 2019, and I need to send that in for repair too (focus ring is totally stuck and therefore unusable. Was going to send it back in March, but I didn't want to send it while Germany was in the midst of their COVID-19 crisis). I've heard terrible things about the NJ facility, and even the Leica Store SF rep understood why I wanted to send the lens to Wetzlar rather than NJ.

... And now I am wondering if maybe this specific photo was taken with my 35... I looked at my images, and I did have my 35 Lux with me at the time. And it has happened before that I had the camera on manual override for the lens profile, so maybe this was mistakenly marked as being shot with the 50 APO. I am not 100% sure, to be honest. I'll go through Lightroom and see if I can find more examples of fringing.

Edited by flipsa00

25 minutes ago, flipsa00 said:

Was going to send it back in March, but I didn't want to send it while Germany was in the midst of their COVID-19 crisis). I've heard terrible things about the NJ facility, and even the Leica Store SF rep understood why I wanted to send the lens to Wetzlar rather than NJ.

They''re not horrible. Urban legend. They had some issues in the past, pretty much resolved.

1 hour ago, james.liam said:

Colors jump out at you, like an old Kodachrome.

I agree these colors are very nice flipsa00. In particular the Arguello sign jumped out at me bringing back memories driving for De Soto Cab there back in the eighties!  As for New Jersey facility, James sighting Urban Legend is correct.  I have had very good service from Leica NJ. and I have close friend who has also dealt with them over the years and who would say the same.

David

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DwF said:

I agree these colors are very nice flipsa00. In particular the Arguello sign jumped out at me bringing back memories driving for De Soto Cab there back in the eighties!  As for New Jersey facility, James sighting Urban Legend is correct.  I have had very good service from Leica NJ. and I have close friend who has also dealt with them over the years and who would say the same.

David

1 hour ago, james.liam said:

They''re not horrible. Urban legend. They had some issues in the past, pretty much resolved.

James and David - thanks for letting me know. I’ll keep an open mind!

• Like 1