LEICA T THREAD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This thread is meant to posts tips, tricks and ANSWERS to relevant questions.

Do not use this thread for discussions or questions !!!

Posts that do not comply will be removed without further notice

Over to you, Leica T owners :)

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

If you are using Lightroom as your favorite DNG editor, you are currently not able to "stop" Lightroom from automatically applying the DNG software lens correction instructions of the T lenses (DNG opcodes). Some applications like RAWTherapee do ask you if you wish to apply those instructions.

I have developed a small application (utility) to remove the DNG software lens correction instructions opcodes from the Leica T DNG files.

The software is still in a very early state, but it generally works and does what it needs to do.

You can download the first "alpha" version of the app OPCODE Remover here for free:

http://www.bitstorm.de/OPCODE_Remover.zip

Please note / be aware of:

• The app is currently only available for Mac OS 10.6 or later and only runs on 64-bit Intel Mac's
  • I might develop a Windows version of the utility by popular demand
  • To be on the secure side: Always backup your DNG files before using this tool!!
  • The opcodes are removed permanently from the DNG files and are currently not restorable (that might be possible in a later version)!

Please only use the tool if you are accepting those terms:

OPCODE Remover is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY;

without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE or LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES CAUSED BY THE USAGE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

If you do not accept those terms, DO NOT USE THIS TOOL.

Your feedback and suggestions for improvement are of course more than welcome :)

You can also download the app here, if the original download link does not work for you:

https://mega.co.nz/#!MQ9yCLoS!3G5SVD3bj1NykrWK-lXRq_h4kffW0jnSVYU653F6HFo

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 4

How would one figure the equivalent focal length of a M lens on a T body? I have a Summicron 35mm that I use on my M8, I also have a Summilux 50 mm. What would they equal on a T?

Multiply the M lens focal length by 1.5.

So a 50mm would be seeing a 75mm field of view when used on the T.

For those that wish to be very precise:

A clarification (okay, pedantry) - I believe the multiplier factor is 1.53
Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

Thanks for this FAQ Jaap! Very good idea!

My 2 ct

Not in the user manual:

The diopter adaption in the T-viewfinder goes from -3.5 to +3.5 diopter.

So for those that are wearing glasses, you might be able to shoot without them:D:D

John

• Like 3

Hi There.

There has been quite a lot of discussion about lens corrections in the RAW files, Personally I think they're usually a good thing, but sometimes one doesn't want them

In addition, Aperture does not yet support the Leica T dng files. This is a pain in the ass, but it's Apple's fault rather than Leica's.

Whatever - Brian Griffith at Iridient has made a great little change to using Iridient RAW developer as a plugin - here is the lowdown.

Using Iridient with Aperture and Leica T files

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I spent ages trying to do this, others have also failed. Then Simone in Facebook said 'it's easy' and it is, but it needs to be in the right order

1 start a hotspot on your phone in settings

2 connect the camera to the hotspot

3 start the app on the phone

It just seems to work. If you have trouble, try restarting both phone and camera and starting again

All the best

• Like 7

In sequel to the post above, if you are locked into a data plan by your provider:

1.Go to” carrier” and disable “automatic”

2 Select a provider that you do not have a contract with manually.

3. The phone will display “ no service”

4. Use Jono’s procedure.

• Like 7

Leica T Battery charger:

There is no "figure 8" connector in the battery charger to permit connecting a long(er) cord to an a/c outlet.

The battery charger comes with snap-in plates for US, EC, Aus, and UK type plugs. The charger then plugs in directly to a wall outlet.

If you have a need to place the charger somewhere other than directly into an a/c outlet you will need an extension cord of some kind. (The US plug provided is two prong, not 3 prong)

The battery slides in as one would expect, but to remove it requires sliding a release button.

• 2 months later...

Problem: EVF slow to start up

hopefully something will be done to improve this in firmware however

Temporary Solution:

I have Auto LCD off set to OFF, and Auto Power off set to 20 Minutes (the maximum). I then leave the camera switched on all the time when out and about.

With this setting, bringing the camera to your eye means that the EVF is enabled in less than a second.

Of course, it uses more battery - but not that much more, and it makes shooting a much more pleasant experience.

Enjoy!

• Like 5

About the new Leica T, we know that Leica may launch a full frame version (when ? 2 years ?) but what about current T lenses, can they cover the full frame or are they only designed for APS-C ?

Current (and in all likelihood, also future) T lenses are designed for an APS-C-sized image circle. Leica might introduce a FF-version of the T and a corresponding FF series of lenses in a couple of years’ time, but that is far from certain, especially as expanding the T camera system as an APS-C system alone is bound to keep Leica busy for the forseeable future.

The throat size of Leica’s T-mount is larger than even that of the M-mount, so in principle it would be possible to accommodate a 36x24 mm sensor. That doesn’t imply that the T-mount was designed with future FF models in mind, though. While all the SLR systems from the 20th century featured mount diameters roughly corresponding to the image circle, todays mirrorless systems are distinguished by their much shorter flange distance (around 20 mm compared to around 45 mm which is typical for 25 mm SLRs) and a much bigger throat size that is 50 to 100 percent wider than the image circle.

The reasoning behind these designs is that a short flange distance allows for lenses with a correspondigly short back focal distance, i.e. lenses carrying the light almost all the way to the sensor. These need to be near telecentric designs which require large rear elements to prevent light rays hitting the edges and corners of the sensor at excessively large incident angles, giving rise to vignetting, colour shifts, and a loss of sharpness. Large rear elements require a large throat size which is the rationale behind the large mounts prevalent with mirrorless camera systems. While Leica’s T-mount is indeed quite large, it is probably designed that way so it accommodates large rear elements, and not so much a larger sensor.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

For those that have not picked this up, the T can be charged directly from its USB socket, i.e. plug into any USB cable connected to any computer, or any phone charger, etc.

This is extremely useful, for example the T can be kept on charge at your work desk and then there is no reason to ever use the official charger or even take out the battery

• Like 7

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Louis2 schrieb am 05 Feb 2016 - 00:35:snapback.png

BTW, I wish the numbering would NOT go to zero after each firmware! .... It makes a mess in my folders with files that have the same numbers! ... Common sens! 

You are right: the numbering should not be set to zero after a firmware update. However, try this workaround:

Just copy your last photo file (JPG or DNG does not matter) in the folder DCIM on your SD card. The T will then continue with the next number when you capture a photo.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Bags, halfcases for the T camera

Recently I bought the T with a 35 Summilux. Plan to complete with a tele and a macro. I am looking for a shoulder bag for this set up and for a protecting halfcase. Angelo Pelle's case cannot fit the T strapholders, contacted Luigi's but they don't answer. I am not very fond of the Leica halfcases because of their colours. Anyone a suggestion? Thanks!

Chris

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Recently I bought the T with a 35 Summilux. Plan to complete with a tele and a macro. I am looking for a shoulder bag for this set up and for a protecting halfcase. Angelo Pelle's case cannot fit the T strapholders, contacted Luigi's but they don't answer. I am not very fond of the Leica halfcases because of their colours. Anyone a suggestion? Thanks!

Chris

I have an Arte Di Mano half case for mine and works beautifully with the T strap. Expensive but worth it. And for bags, the Billingham Hadley Small.

I have the Artisan & Artist LMB 1/2 with built in strap lugs and bought the strap from the same manufacturer ACAM 200

See B&H PhotoVideo site. Around $ 250 I have seen. Less expensive than its competitors and you don't need to use

those Leica strapholders. I am very satisfied with it since january 2015.

Dre

Chris

Chris,

If you haven't already ordered a case from someone,  I recommend the Leica Time version.  Expensive, but beautiful IMO.  The only downside to this design is that you must remove it to access either the battery or the card .. However, I don not find this a problem.  I shoot everyday and open it once a day after shooting.

For some reason the link on their site does not work!  So best to write directly to Ginevra

I ordered my case from Leica time - it arrived here in the US in about a week as I remember.  I can't say enough good things about this case.  Gorgeous leather, hand made, a flap down protector for the LCD, and fits like a fine glove.

She will set you up with a most gorgeous Leica Time leather case. 

Contact Ginevra at ginevra@leicatime.com

Rick

PS: I did order the MATCH TECHNICAL "LEICA T" STRAP LUG SET NEW! (FOR LEICA T & LEICA TL - from Popflash for $38.00 US - that enables me to use a regular strap, not the ugly rubber one that Leica gave with the Leica T.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by RickP
  • Like 1

Rick,

Thanks for your advice. I have not ordered yet but am still exploring. Quite difficult! Arte di Mano looks great (thank you Miss Billinghamlady) but due to taxes and shipping very expensive, I would have a cost increase of at least +30% tks to custom taxes. Ginevra is on holiday and Luigi's answer is a bit confusing, I also looked at Angelo Pelle's but his half case does not have an optional screen protection.

Still -if I may take some of your time- a few questions: is it worthwhile to use protectorfilm on the screen or is the glass scratchfree?

About filters: I would like to buy a Circular Polarising filter (E60) maybe from B+W, but which on, I am confused about the different models.

Thank you a lot and with great admiration of your 'flowerscapes' and 'still lives'.

Chris