M 240 OVF focusing is off

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

My OVF focusing is off. Focus peaking with the EVF on the same subject is accurate. We're heading to England in three weeks; I can make do with the EVF, since I do mostly landscape work, but it would be nice if I could get it repaired before we leave. Is there a reputable place in New England or New York that can handle this, or do I eventually have to send it to Solms?

Thanks for any info!

Merrill

Any competent Leica repair workshop can adjust the viewfinder on an M camera, usually on short notice and with a quick turnaround. If you are in the USA I would call Leica NJ and explain the situation if I were you. I’m sure they can help.

Edited by jaapv

Do not think of sending it to Solms (in fact you now have to send to Wetzlar) for rangefinder calibration. I have sent my M9 there for exactly the same thing 7 weeks ago and it still has not returned (though I am located in Germany). I seems that turnaround times are long at the moment, maybe because of the move from Solms to Wetzlar.

Ulrik

How bad is it, and at what distances? It is rarely off at all distances.

If it's accurate up close and off at infinity, you can use the RF for portraits and moving subjects, and LV for landscapes.

Contact Leica in NJ

I think they will tell you if they can meet your timeframe. I've had pretty good luck with them on calibrations and adjustments. If not, I'm sure there is a qualified technician near you who can do it. The nice thing about getting Leica to do it is they will likely do it for free and will include a quick check and cleaning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just sent mine in last Thursday for RF adjust (to Leica NJ), to fix a slight back focus issue that cropped up. I'll post back how long it takes, not that it's much help to you to know too late.

Your M240 should still be adjustable for free.

For what it's worth, I communicated with Leica NJ and they offered me a free shipping label. No small assistance considering what it costs to ship this camera insured.

-Mark

First time I hear that OVF is out of focus but EVF is focusing correctly. Can anybody tell or explain me how does it happen ?

A few weeks ago I tried to do some tests with my Lux and M 240 and I had the same feeling.

An EVF displays the actual image off the sensor. The OVF is a mechanical system that can go out of calibration - not very easily on the M240, though.

You can adjust the infinity setting in 30 seconds with an allen key.

If that is all that is out then you are fixed.

If the near and intermediate settings are then still off (or worse) then you will either have to mug up on self calibration (plenty of threads here .... and not that difficult) or find a technician......

Anyone with a long term relationship with a Leica really needs to look into self calibration of the rangefinder mechanism .... it will save you so much trouble and aggravation in the long run.....

..... also .... it has to be pretty far off to cause issues at sub 50mm .... and as you will be having gloriously sunny weather in the UK anyway (hoots of laughter) and using f8 all the time it will not be an issue.....:p

I've found a lot of positive references to Youxin Ye in Canton, MA. So I gave him a call and he informed me that the OVF is, in fact, an electronic device and it has to be sent to Leica in NJ for calibration.

Thanks for all the responses!

Merrilll

I've found a lot of positive references to Youxin Ye in Canton, MA. So I gave him a call and he informed me that the OVF is, in fact, an electronic device and it has to be sent to Leica in NJ for calibration.

Merrilll

There are no wires in the bits I have adjusted...... he is talking cr*p.

The calibration should take a competent person who understands the mechanism less than half an hour. You need an allen key, screwdriver, a 50/75/90 lens that you know is ok and a tree a mile away. That's all.

• Like 1

Merrilll

Well, if that is really what he said, he hasn’t earned those references. The only electrical part is the little LED that lights up the framelines.
  • Like 1

If no help from Leica, Sherry Krauter at Golden Touch Camera Repair. She is a Leica trained Leica tech. Call, do not e Mail
I don’t think so. I seem to recall that she does not do digital Leicas.

• 4 weeks later...

Not that it matters, but I got my 240 back from NJ a few days ago-- 3 weeks including shipping. Spot on everything.

Interestingly they quoted 2-3 wks on Rf adjust and 6-7 on replacing the hood of my 50 1.4-- but they sent that back done with it. Woot!

Interesting...was just about to start a new topic on similar...for me I get better focus with the RF than EVF....I just got the 21 SEM and was playing around today.

Maybe I just don't know how to use EVF yet but I am seriously considering returning it.

I would first take a shot with the EVF and then with RF and I to get into focus I would need to move the focus ring by 2mm...

Anyone else experience this?

• Like 1

My newly acquired M240 also had it's focusing off. Quite a lot off the pictures I've taken were ever so slightly out of focus.. and the rf wasn't right at infinity, it would have needed another millimiter or so for the images to align in the rf.

Since I bought it 2nd hand, there's no telling whether that was out of factory problem or previous owner having whacked it somewhere..

I just sent it back to Leica along with my 50 summilux for re-adjustment. Pain to have it gone for 3-4 weeks, but I should get it back before my summer vacation :)

//Juha

Interesting...was just about to start a new topic on similar...for me I get better focus with the RF than EVF....I just got the 21 SEM and was playing around today.

Maybe I just don't know how to use EVF yet but I am seriously considering returning it.

I would first take a shot with the EVF and then with RF and I to get into focus I would need to move the focus ring by 2mm...

Anyone else experience this?

As I wrote, the EVF displays the actual pixels that it takes from the sensor. Even if the sensor is completely miscalibrated the EVF will still allow you to focus correctly. I know that a number of the repairpersons who get mentioned on this forum use an M240 + EVF to adjust lenses nowadays as that is more accurate than a calibrated body and collimator.

Basically there is no way that the focusing on an EVF can be inaccurate.

As I wrote, the EVF displays the actual pixels that it takes from the sensor. Even if the sensor is completely miscalibrated the EVF will still allow you to focus correctly. I know that a number of the repairpersons who get mentioned on this forum use an M240 + EVF to adjust lenses nowadays as that is more accurate than a calibrated body and collimator.

Basically there is no way that the focusing on an EVF can be inaccurate.

Interesting as I get sharp images with all my 3 lenses through RF and unsharp through EVF....