New softer leather skin for Monochrom

stump4545

Lizard. Soft it ain’t, and certainly not to everybody’s taste. (disclaimer: long gone…)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The Arte di Mano line looks pretty slick.

Anyone have an insight to which skin has the "best" feel?

Cow, Goat, Snake, Lizard, Croc?

Cow... Soft

Goat... Firmer

Snake... See lizard

Lizard... See snake

Croc... I've not felt one.

PS: you can get snake in suede from Leica Leathers.

• Like 1

Lizard. Soft it ain’t, and certainly not to everybody’s taste. (disclaimer: long gone…)

I think I might have placed that M on a neutral background before pushing the shutter buttom. :D

Somebody was shooting B&W, right?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am not a fan of lizard and crocodile leathers on modern Leicas, although I think natural brown croc can look good on a 1930's one e.g. my 1C where the leatherette is a bit tatty. I do quite like sharkskin but Leicaleathers only do it in black or rather bright colours. A dark bluey-green would I think, suit my chrome M240 rather well.

Wilson

Can anyone vouch for Leica Leathers on Facebook?

Is this fit and quality equal to Arte Di Mano?

I have not seen any covered by Leica Leather as only a few people in Europe want snake or croc covers. I certainly don’t - if you will excuse the pun - just not my bag :)

If you can put up with the pain, Morgan’s leathers (Cameraleather.com) and the accuracy of the cut are both first class. The Aki-Asahi leathers are also good but not quite as nice as Cameraleather.

Wilson

why no Croc or Snake?

don't like the look, or is it the feel which is not preferred?

Both :)

I actually think for the right 1930’s black Leica a small grain dark brown croc can look OK but it is very shiny and slippery.

Wilson

On the leather front, does anyone do a replacement cover for a Leica 1©. At some point, someone has clear lacquered the original vulcanite, which does not look right. Morgan lists for a Leica Standard but I am not sure if that is the same as a 1©. If it is I will order a Rollei Black Beauty embossed leather cover, which always looks nice.

Wilson

I will post tomorrow a pic of my chrome M8, covered in the Cameraleather Rollei Black Beauty embossed real calfskin leather. If you don’t want fancy or coloured leather, I think it is close to perfect in appearance, grip and feel.

Wilson

I sent an email to Morgan yesterday and “bang” straight back with the answer I wanted. He can do a Leica 1© cover in Rollei Black Beauty for $51.60 Including P&P to UK. He must have finally got the message about efficiency :)

The Rollei leather is a bit thicker than the black kid but that means it is softer with more give and therefore you get a better grip. I think the Levant and Restoration black leathers will be the same thickness as the Rollei, as they start from the same base leather prior to embossing. I had kid on my M9 before Leica removed it. It looks lovely but is quite hard and a little bit slippery. The very soft Nappa leather Leica replaced it with, definitely gives a better grip.

Below pic of M8 with Rollei Black. It gets shiny with finger oils over time but you can restore it to its original semi-matt state with saddle soap or similar. I have a daughter who does eventing and she has more leather oils, greases, soaps and treatments than you can shake a stick at, for treating her various saddles and other nags’ leather accoutrements.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1