sensor cleaning products

leica1215

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Missing one thing: the Green Clean mini-vacuum cleaner.

I don't like that those Green Clean mini vacs are powered by canned propane/butane mixed, whose very inflammable contents are squirted around as you use it. I feel I ought to be able to make something powered either by my Miele domestic vacuum cleaner on its lowest setting with some sort of vacuum reducer bieed or alternatively a venturi device worked off my air compressor. I agree a vacuum to suck out the dust from the chamber is desirable.

Wilson

....Air brush and compressor with moisture and dust traps. Very expensive unless you have one already . Clean out camera, open shutter and blow off sensor. Way better then Rocket.....

Found this on the auction site: item #280969207168.Will one of these work?

I don't like that those Green Clean mini vacs are powered by canned propane/butane mixed, whose very inflammable contents are squirted around as you use it. I feel I ought to be able to make something powered either by my Miele domestic vacuum cleaner on its lowest setting with some sort of vacuum reducer bieed or alternatively a venturi device worked off my air compressor. I agree a vacuum to suck out the dust from the chamber is desirable.

Wilson

So don't smoke...:p

• Like 1

That is for cake decorating. The problem with inexpensive is is air volume is low even if the pressure is high. It does appear to have a moisture trap.

I also don`t like the large color cup on top as it restricts getting into small places.

My compressor is an Iwata that sells for $350. The airbrush is another $100 plus. Like I said mine is repurposed from another hobby. I would not buy it for cleaning cameras.

I like the canned air that is not usually recommended. Dust off. Keep the can upright ALWAYS and waste a few squirts to be sure no liquid propellent comes out. I cleaned a used Nikon that was totally filthy. Took me half a day. Keep the blasts short so as not to freeze the camera. 2 sec is ok.

• Like 1

Found this on the auction site: item #280969207168.Will one of these work?

Phil,

Just remind me how much you paid for your M cameras :)

I think suck not blow is the answer. You can buy mini vacuum cleaners but I would want to find a very soft nozzle. Something like item #131093418992 but with a softer nozzle

Wilson

• Like 2

Used Eclipse for a decade now consuming 1/2 bottle and the swabs that come in a stack inside a plastic sealed envelope that I reseal and put inside a rustproof box.   Mine tend to lint and the stack has never been removed from the pack.  I get the original stuff cleaned off only to find new lint.   

Tried the lens pen and sensor loupe and it works great.  The loupe has a cut out  so you can see REAL TIME as you pick up dust touching the sensor only where the dust is.  NO ALL OVER CLEANING.  The magnifier goes high enough for a M sensor and down low enough for a Nikon.  I cleaned all the cameras  at on point and upon reexamination with the NEW Sensor Loupe,  there was still dust.   Sensor cleaned it up perfectly.  

Also bought  Eye Lead and Pentax wands ,  but have not to use them so far.  The Pentax is for the M9, EyeLead for all else.

Naturally I start with a blower,  then a brush, then Sensor Loupe, sticky wand, finishing with Eclipse.  Stop at any point when clean.   

Prevention is better than cure, so keep lens rears clean and inside of rear caps clean and change lenses quickly with back to wind if outside.  Pre position lenses for quick change.

• Like 1