sensor cleaning products

leica1215

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The sensor is fixed but the cover glass is quite thin so no more pressure than would just bend the stem of a Visible Dust sensor swab. Other makes of swab may have thicker shafts so this is not a universal instruction. It is not like trying to clean the sensor on my EP-5, where you have to clean it with IS powered up to lock the sensor in place magnetically.

Wilson

• Like 1

Yet another vote for Eclipse and Sensor Swabs. Started using it on my M8 nine years ago, now also on the M240. Never had any problems with it. I also have that Pentax sticky "lollipop", but find it does not work well for "glued on" dust or oily residues. I also prefer the narrower #1 swabs intended for the M8 also for the M240 as I find them easier to control when swabbing.

Another vote for Eclipse and the swabs. Usually use 2 swabs and a 'pushing' motion to sweep any dirt to the edge of the sensor (having first used a rocket blower, of course). The APS-H sized swabs are ideal, in my view - slightly smaller than full frame, easier to work with. Eclipse is also excellent for cleaning lenses and filters, especially fingerprints.

Edited by albireo_double

• 6 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For a very dusty sensor, I have found the Eye-Lead sticky lollipop works better than my Arctic Butterfly.Wilson

Wilson, is it the orange or blue one? I saw the orange one (Sony version?) in the Leica video for the M9, but I am not sure whether that would work with the M 240.

Thanks!

Dante

Dante,

Dante,

Mine is a blue one and is the original Eye-Lead not the rebranded ones (Sony, Panasonic, Pentax). It works just fine with the M240 but you will normally need a wet clean afterwards, as the lollipop does not remove the Leica Goblin Snot or other sticky/greasy marks but only dust. My routine is 1) blow with HEPA filtered Rocket blower both in chamber then after opening the shutter, the sensor. 2) Sticky lollipop 3) Wet clean with swabs and Eclipse. I have found it usually takes two swabs to get the sensor acceptably clean. Because I change lenses a lot, I think my sensors get particularly dirty. I do try and remember to blow my lenses off before mounting but sometimes in the field, this is not practical.

You have just reminded me to clean my M240 today before I go off to Taiwan next week. I am also going to take my wife's C112 to have a smaller pocket camera with me, rather than my usual back up of an Olympus EP-5. My wife is off cycling round Nepal (not my idea of fun), while I am in Taiwan and is going to take her older V-Lux 20, as it is easier to use one handed on a bike than the larger C112 with the flap down Leica suede case.

Wilson

Wilson, is it the orange or blue one? I saw the orange one (Sony version?) in the Leica video for the M9, but I am not sure whether that would work with the M 240.

Thanks!

Dante

I have two orange ones but they are not the same. One was obtained just after the M9 video was released, and I believe it is a Pentax. The other very recent one from Eyelead has a blue sticker on the box stating that it's for Sony cameras and that's what I ordered it for. The original non Sony Eyelead ones are pale blue.

Bob.

Bob,

My one has a pale blue dot on its head. It does not state it is for any particular camera. The tin is silver with pale blue writing on it. I cannot imaging the various models are much if any different.

Wilson

Bob,

My one has a pale blue dot on its head. It does not state it is for any particular camera. The tin is silver with pale blue writing on it. I cannot imaging the various models are much if any different.

Wilson

Here's the product advisory notice concerning Sony cameras and the original gel stick. I've read that one change is the reformulated orange sticks are not so sticky as the blue ones.

"Product Advisory: Sony’s proprietary coating technology on its mirrorless cameras might cause the Sensor Gel Stick to leave some residue on the surface of the sensor filter, which will require thorough wet cleaning. The residue can be removed with a wet cleaning solution, but might take significant effort to clean it. Therefore, we recommend that you do NOT use the Sensor Gel Stick on Sony mirrorless cameras listed below. The manufacturer of the Sensor Gel Stick is working on a different solution to clean Sony sensors, so we are planning to start offering a Sony-specific version of the Sensor Gel Stick soon.

Here is the list of Sony camera models that are affected: Sony A7R, Sony A7, Sony A5000, Sony A6000, Sony NEX-7, Sony NEX-6, Sony NEX-5 (all models), Sony NEX-3 (all models). We have not heard of any other reports regarding other brand cameras."

Read more: Sensor Gel Stick

Bob.

Thanks Wilson, Bob, and all. Any reason to avoid the Pentax? It's orange, a little cheaper, and comes with more cleaning paper but no tin.

Cheers,

Dante

I would think it would work just fine. I was going to buy the Pentax but the UK supplier was out of stock and I got the Eye-Lead from the German distributor. The tin is quite nice as it keeps everything dust free.

Wilson

Eye lead does not pick up all dust. The movie on leica`s website show the assembly person having to touch up with some liquid and swab, then redo with gel stick.

Been cleaning with Eclipse with no issues. DO NOT oversoak the pad.

Tried to order a gel pad from B&H and they do not carry it. One used in stock. Is that anything like used oats for horses? Photography Life says I need two, one for each type of sensor, Nikon Leica. Turn off.

Eclipse does not leave residue. It may pick up some oil and redistribute it and that is what you see.

My procedure is keep the camera inside clean with rocket blower and not open the shutter unless there is known dust on the sensor. Blow clean if possible. Then try Copperhill brush. Then eclipse.

I will try canned air with upright can and very short bursts. I cleaned a very dirty Nikon that way. Detailed instructions on Copperhill site.

Leica has since recommended non contact cleaning only. I wonder what they know that we don`t? To me that is like having to return a car to the factory for a wash job. unacceptable. They should publish some specific instructions and/or sell the proper supplies.

The whole idea is simple non contact first, then get more aggressive.

The gel has the advantage of picking up debris without sliding . The sliding is what causes scratches if the swab picks up material.

Edited by tobey bilek

My M240 shutter must be settling down now it is close to 10,000 actuations (due to the lack of a proper unique image ID, who knows exactly). Today it only took one sticky lollipop clean and one wet cleaning swab to get it near spotless.

Wilson

• 5 months later...
Wilson

Can you point us in the direction of a reliable source for the genuine Eyelead lollipops. (My concern is that I have read of cheap Chinese knock-offs that leave a deposit).

I bought cheap Chinese knock offs, and they DO leave a deposit. A waste of money.

I have had bad experience with Visible Dust solutions streaking. I have tried 99% Isopropyl alcohol ...... a tiny drop on a dry swab, and that works perfect. .......... for me ......

Edited by rafael_macia

The makers in Germany now have a shop on their website which leads you to Amazon Germany. I bought a packet of new sticky paper from this source last year. However the Eye-Lead itself is not perfect and can occasionally leave a mark or a slight line. This comes off very easily with either IPA or the pure (absolute) Ethanol I now use for cleaning all my sensors. I use the Eye-Lead as the third of my 4 stage cleaning.

1) Blow with HEPA filtered bulb blower

2) Wipe with Arctic Butterfly brush

3) Eye-Lead

4) Finally wet clean.

That way you are never dragging dust particles (micro rocks) across the cover glass.

eyelead Bluetech (Germany) GmbH

Wilson

With all the talk about the M9 corrosion, I decided to rethink sensor cleaning.

I always uses the rocket blower first, then quit if clean. This rarely works.

Then the Copperhill brush. Then Eclipse. I never had an oil issue.

Then came word to use only non contact cleaning. Leica New Jersey could not clarify exactly what this means.

NEW STEPS

Air brush and compressor with moisture and dust traps. Very expensive unless you have one already . Clean out camera, open shutter and blow off sensor. Way better then Rocket.

If necessary I go to my new Sonsor Clear and Loupe. One of the world best inventions in my opinion. Two AAA batteries and 8 LED lights. 6x magnification is perfect. Lens goes high enough for M camera and low enough for Nikon. One quadrant is cut out for the dust pick up (Lens Pen) so you can use it real time and see what you did. This gets 99% of dust. I went back to Eclipsed clean cameras and clean up what Eclipse missed. last week after no use. Half the cameras had missed crud now gone.

I bought the Pentax sticky stick and eye lead products. Have not had to use them yet. I read you are not supposed to inter mix them for different cameras. True? Don`t know.

Anyway Pentax would be next as required.

Last resort is Eclipse which leaves lint. I pull mine out of the package one at a time keeping the package closed as much as possible. Then it all goes back into a dust free box. Still get lint.

Inspect and clean lint as required. Final inspect.

Some day I may try the lollypop but I have not found a net for it so far and have not needed more eclipse.