sensor cleaning products

leica1215

Advertisement (gone after registration)

after reading few post on sensor cleaning issue, I would like to buy products clean the sensor myself in case I need to.

would you guys kindly share experience on which products should I buy?

I have read on visible dust website, it suggest use arctic brush to clean it first then wet clean, but I am not sure that brush is safe to use on M sensor?

or just use sensor swab ? do I need sensor scope to check on the results?

by the way the Zeeion blower from visible dust looks the best so far, bc it has the filter on both end, any better blower out there?

Thanks

Edited by leica1215

This is my experience http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-type-240/307501-sensor-wet-cleaning.html#post2549066

I find Eclipse liquid to be much better option than those liquids from Visible Dust.

...and some general tips in the FAQ section http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/130720-leica-m8-m8-2-m9-m9p.html#post1382788

• Like 1

I have read on visible dust website, it suggest use arctic brush to clean it first then wet clean, but I am not sure that brush is safe to use on M sensor?

or just use sensor swab ? do I need sensor scope to check on the results?

After your M has a few thousand photographs on it you may be OK to use the excellent Arctic Butterfly brush on its own for regular cleaning. But up until that point your shutter may throw off oil, which would contaminate the brush (and sticky pads if you go for that option), so a wet clean is best when you start cleaning. After a while the grease and oil will stop.

So for wet cleaning in the first months of the camera you may need two cleaning solutions, one like Visible Dust Smear Away to remove oil, then because that can leave streaks an ordinary cleaning solution (I use Eclipse) to give it a final clean. After a wet clean you can use the brush (or pads) to remove any final traces of dust. Personally I don't find a scope to be much good, you are better off taking a photograph of the sky as you would normally do to see if any dust is left, working on facts rather than an opinion.

Steve

• Like 1

I have gone back to the much cheaper Eclipse from the Visible Dust liquids (made from Platinum, Frankincense and Myrrh by the price). I am aware that there is a thought that Eclipse can leave white deposits on the sensor but in 7+ years of using it, this has not been a problem for me. If you have the common gungy spots on a Leica sensor, using the Visible Dust liquids, either Sensor Clean or Smear Away, I found they just did not come clean and I had to revert to Eclipse. For a very dusty sensor, I have found the Eye-Lead sticky lollipop works better than my Arctic Butterfly.

In fact I am not convinced that unless you are in a very dry area, the Arctic Butterfly works to any great degree. It is a nice idea with its twirling brush, supposedly pre-charging up with static, like helicopter blades. The other problem is that if there is any sticky or greasy material on the sensor, all the brush will do is smear it about. You then have to thoroughly wash the brush in either a solution made from VD’s soapy tablets or more easily in a bottle of pure iso propyl alcohol (not the 70% medical stuff).

Wilson

One more vote for sensor swabs and eclipse. It's the only way that worked for me, and not only with Leica cameras.

The secret with the oil spots is to not allow them to dry out. A monthly cleaning is a good idea until the oil stops, then cleaning on as needed basis.

• Like 1

Wilson

Can you point us in the direction of a reliable source for the genuine Eyelead lollipops. (My concern is that I have read of cheap Chinese knock-offs that leave a deposit).

John,

Digital Toy Shop, who are the UK agents for Eye-Lead

Wilson

Another vote here for the Eclipse fluid and #3 swabs from the Photosol guys. The instructional video on their website is very good too. Take special note of the advice to add 2-4 drops only to the swab. More can leave drying marks (ask me how I know ;) )

I've never had a problem with oil spots from a new camera but it is very easy to pick up contaminants on any brush from touching anything at all other than the sensor cover glass. A brush not perfectly clean will add smears while it dislodges any duct particles.

There is a special function in the cleaning menu to let you visualise any spots on the sensor. I use a plain grey background on my computer monitor screen. But be prepared to have your sensor look much worse than it is in practical terms :eek:

• Like 1

My weekly method of cleaning for both dust and lubricant removal:

Stuff:

Rocket blower

2 Visible Dust swabs or equivalent (correct size for sensor to be cleaned).

Bottle of isopropyl alcohol (refined, bought from local pharmacy)

Method:

Very, very sparingly moisten one swab with ipa*. Clench swab handle between teeth.

Remove lens, tilt camera downwards and use rocket blower to remove dust particles from inside camera and sensor.

Swab sensor once, turn swab over and swab again in opposite direction.

Repeat the process with the other (dry) swab to remove any residual ipa before it evaporates.

*The key is to be very sparing with the ipa and dry swab before the ipa evaporates from the sensor. Don't soak the wet swab and don't apply too much pressure!

ETA: I have cleaned my camera sensors (up to five different camera bodies) before every job for years with this procedure. It's cheaper and more effective than buying kits or fancy brushes and is the most effective way I found of cleaning Nikon D3's which are notoriously 'dirty' cameras due to lubricant being thrown onto the sensor by the shutter assembly and every other proprietary kit had been tried. The swabs can be re used many times as long as they are stored carefully (I wrap mine in cling film) and checked carefully with a linen tester for crud before use.

Edited by honcho

For a sensor with “welded-on" gungy spots, I was shown a technique years ago by the CameraClean folks at their stand at Photokina (or it might have been Focus on Imaging). For the first stroke with the wetted swab, very gently and over a small amplitude, wiggle the handle of the swab from side to side, so the business end of the swab “walks” up the sensor. Then on the return stroke, pull straight. On my first M240 soon after new, there were some particularly obstinate blobs of Solms Goblin Snot, but on the third successive wet clean, this technique removed them.

Wilson

• Like 1

My favourite swabs are Green Clean

I was given a handful of them by the UK distributor at Focus on Imaging a few years ago in exchange for feedback. I prefer them to Visible Dust because they're more durable and don't shed fibres inside the camera.

Solms Goblin Snot....sounds equally noxious as a Sendai Skiddy.

;)

My favourite swabs are Green Clean

I was given a handful of them by the UK distributor at Focus on Imaging a few years ago in exchange for feedback. I prefer them to Visible Dust because they're more durable and don't shed fibres inside the camera.

Solms Goblin Snot....sounds equally noxious as a Sendai Skiddy.

;)

I like them to, but they are for water-soluble dust only. Greasy spots will still require Smear-away or Dust-Aid fluid.

I'm surprised no one suggested Eyelead Gel stick ?

Heard from the rumor mill that Leica uses this to clean sensors.

They work fine when the shutter has finished spitting oil, otherwise they can pick oil up and spread it around the sensor. The OP is asking about cleaning methods for first time cleaning, things change six months into ownership.

Steve

• Like 1