On the right track.....finally!

Colin1974

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am now comfortably set up with my darkroom, having sorted out all safety and space issues.

I have a Durst C35 (with fitted VC filters) and am slowly learning how to read exposure from test prints and estimate contrast from the negative. I am also learning that you can rescue some photos that may have been underexposed within the camera: if it isn't possible to get an accurate print, it may be possible to use underexposure and/or high contrast to create ambiance.

Over the past three months, I have part-exchanged or commission-sold all of my digital gadgets and am concentrating solely on my M6, three lenses (28mm, 50mm & 90mm) and black&white film. It will take several months before I'm confident enough to display my work, but it'll be worth it.

Thanks everyone for all your advice and encouragement. I think I may have found my niche.

What a brave man, Colin, to ditch your digital equipment. I guess that having moved from film to digital we all get so used to clicking away then fixing the shots later, but without a doubt "proper" photography comes right from the roots of film where such care and skill is essential at the point of shooting. I did all my own D & P years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, but I certainly did not aspire to an M"anything" with Durst darkroom equipment. Film shots still surpass digital in my eyes. You don't say whether you are dealing with b/w or colour - I never progressed to colour processing.

Good luck and enjoy your experience, but do keep us updated with progress reports.

Richard

Thanks for your generous words.

Being a relative newcomer, I used a dSLR first (a Nikon D40), then tried out various other dSLR's and compacts.

Five years ago, I started using a Minolta 35mm SLR and from then on, I was hooked on the challenge of "not knowing" until that cardboard envelope came back. If I was working professionally, rather than creatively, I would highly recommend the Sony A900 with the best Minolta lenses you could afford.

I can only develop B&W film, as I couldn't handle the accuracy of colour. Luckily, I live near a branch of Snappy Snaps, who are fantastic with film.

I really need a camera that will last as a long term purchase, and I don't have that sort of confidence in digital technology (not just reliability, but also future compatibility and never ending upgrades).

Anyway, I'll keep you all informed on how it goes.

Colin.

Despite that your Durst will be fine to work with, if I were you I would put the Leitz Valoy II next to it. You will be able to print up to 30X40cm with it quite easily. It will give you the typical black Leitz border if you want, and there exists no simpler enlarger with such high quality results for b&w.

The dark and light grey versions have the Anti Newton treated condensor, the black version has the clear condensor and you will have to solve getting newton rings. Not difficult.

• Like 2

One of the things that most of us do is to learn by trial and error, mostly error. I can recommend the most recent additions of Ansel Adams books, and Gred Picker's book "The Zone VI Workshop". Both these photographers worked mainly with large format cameras, but their approach to mastering their technique is very valuable as a shortcut to quickly taking control of your photography.

Calumet Photo in Chicago has packaged three videos Fred Picker made some years ago that focus on making the best negatives and making outstanding prints. The DVD is not very expensive and there is a lifetime of lessons that will save you time, money and frustration. Watch, learn and your photography will improve greatly and quickly. Infinitely better than trial and error.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No they can not be fully salvaged. There is only one way to get an optimum print and that is from a perfect neg.

Overexposed shows too much grain and blocked highlights.

Under exposed lacks detail in the shadows.

You can fool around trying to get something acceptable, but that is all you will get.

Digital can be bent around with better results, but it too will not be perfect.

• 3 weeks later...
For the moment, the Durst does a good job. I did get it for less than £50, including lens, so I've been lucky.

Out of curiosity, what enlarger lens did you get?

Many years ago I used a Paterson enlarger, which used a similar system to Leica with the bottom of the condenser pressing the neg flat. The enlarger even had a Leica lens, and the results could not be bettered.

If you're spending money on lenses, don't forget the enlarger!