Asia One Challenge 2015

Following message has just been sent to 67 Japanese forum members. Hopefully this will encourage some local members to join us:

--------------

You are receiving this message as a Leica User Forum member based in Japan.

We would like to inform you that we are planning a Leica One Asia challenge taking place in Japan in the week of 16-23 May. We will start in Tokyo on the weekend of the 16th, and move to Kyoto on May 21st, finishing with the traditional Leica One challenge on Saturday May 23rd.

So far we are a small group coming from UK, Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg, and Australia, and we would love to have some local members join us as well.

For more information, please check the thread at http://www.l-camera-...nge-2015-a.html - the details with dates are at post 34, and we will be posting meeting points etc nearer the date. If you are interested in joining, please comment on the thread, or let me know by replying to this message.

日本にお住まいのライカユーザーフォーラム会員の皆さまへ。

私達は、5月16日から23日に渡り、日本にてLeica One Asiaチャレンジの開催を企画しています。まずは16日、17日に東京で、その後21日に京都へ移動し、23日にはLeica Oneチャレンジを開催する予定です。

現在このチャレンジには、英国、オランダ、ドイツ、ルクセンブルグ、そしてオーストラリアからのライカユーザーが参加予定ですが、日本のライカ愛好家の皆さんにも、是非ご参加頂ければと思っています。

詳しくは、以下のスレッドをご参照下さい。
日程についての投稿は34番です。
集合場所等、詳細につきましては、開催日が近づきましたら投稿させて頂きます。

この企画にご興味のある方、参加ご希望の方は、スレッドにコメントを残して頂くか、このメッセージにご返信下さい。皆さんからのご連絡をお待ちしています。
  • Like 6

Hi all, thanks for the PM. I've love to join but on the weekend of 16th/17th I'd be tied up with an audio show/headphone festival (my other hobby). I work days so can join you guys in the evenings only.

Just FYI the E-Hotel and Granbell Hotel, are pretty much bang smack in the so called "red light district" of Tokyo (Grandbell is right in it, whilst E Hotel is on the top northeast edge of Kabuki-cho). The office I work in is opposite E-Hotel, Shinjuku Eastside Square. Personally I wouldn't recommend taking pics in Kabuki-cho area in the evenings as a lot of those establishments are still controlled by not so legal organisations. During the daytime, around Kabuki-cho and probably more specifically around the E-Hotel along the main street heading east, is more a Korean town. There will be Japanese restaurants, etc but you'll find a lot of Korean restaurants too.

If any of you want me to pop into E-Hotel to ask about room bookings, etc. please PM me. It's really no trouble since it's just opposite my office and I can pop in the reception to ask. Having said that, personally I wouldn't have picked around that district to stay in. Usually visitors would pick something like :-

Southern Century Tower in Shinjuku, or

Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku

The two above may be full though as they get popular. They're also closer to Map Camera Shinjuku.

Anyway, I'm following this thread now so will help out where I can or PM me if you like.

• Like 7

All,

Definitely interested in attending the Tokyo portion. I live just an hour by train from central Tokyo. Has the itinerary been finalize? Shouldn't be a problem but need to confirm the Tokyo dates to be sure.

Corey

Good news Cory, that you will come. Some dates/times are fixed, others are still being arranged, courtesy of Simon and Dan. They will chime in here with better details during their local times.

For guidance, some of us are arriving Tokyo May 17, some later. The 'One Challenge' competition will be held in Kyoto at 2pm on May 23, 2015. Meeting place(s) still to be decided. We will travel to Kyoto by train, date still to be decided and up to individuals. Stay tuned for updates as they are finalized.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Take care to have your correct electricity plugs with you for your Leica battery charger and raiser!

The voltage in Japan is 100 Volt, which is different from North America (120V), Central Europe (230V) and most other regions of the world. Japanese electrical plugs have two, non-polarized pins, as shown above. They fit into North American outlets.

Japanese power outlets are identical to ungrounded (2-pin) North American outlets. While most Japanese outlets these days are polarized (one slot is slightly wider than the other), it is possible to encounter non-polarized outlets in some places.

Take care to have your correct electricity plugs with you for your Leica battery charger and raiser!

The voltage in Japan is 100 Volt, which is different from North America (120V), Central Europe (230V) and most other regions of the world. Japanese electrical plugs have two, non-polarized pins, as shown above. They fit into North American outlets.

Japanese power outlets are identical to ungrounded (2-pin) North American outlets. While most Japanese outlets these days are polarized (one slot is slightly wider than the other), it is possible to encounter non-polarized outlets in some places.

You should be fine with a European to US converter. Most appliances support 100-240v and in the rare case that they support 120-240, they'll just run a bit dimmer or slower :) I've not had any problems in the past.

• Like 3

So we're getting closer to our trips..... the list below reflects members that have confirmed to be in Japan with us at some point. In order to set some times and locations for meeting up, it would be helpful if you could each post the earliest 'convenient' time you would like to meet on the 17th and/or 18th. Based upon this information we'll come up with a suggestion for an initial meeting point so that we can discuss our individual or joint plans for the week.

DigitalHeMan - May 14th

DanBachmann +1 - May 17th
StS - May 17th
erl +1 - May 18th
christoph_d +1 - May 23rd, joining in Kyoto
Torgian - Japan based, joining in Kyoto
Satijntje - May 18th
fjheimann - May 18th
octo +1 - May 16th

babybinjp - Local, joining in Tokyo

• Like 1

Well, I'm arriving around 10am and would add 2-3 hours for airport procedures and transfer to Shinjuku. I've booked the Granbell as well, which should make it rather easy to meet. If a later meeting is preferred, I can head off to the Nemu-no-hiroba park and visit Godzilla...

Stefan

Arr. Mon 18 @ 8am Narita. Then need to clear airport and check in to E Hotel Higashi, Shinjuku. I expect will be 'free' by lunchtime. I have read there is a particularly good eating joint right near Shinjuku station. :)

It may be worth considering sharing Mob. Ph. numbers at some point via PM's. (rather than publishing them on the net.)

Arriving on Monday 18th at 8:30 am at Narita airport with flight KL 0861 from Amsterdam.

Picking up luggage etc and transport to Shinjuku will take apx 2 hours.

So I will also be ready to join the group around lunchtime, like John (Erl).

Staying at the Shinjuku Granbell hotel, near the red light district! :-)

Franz is on the same flight, so I assume that this will apply for him as well :-)

Using data roaming in Japan is fairly expensive (as it is everywhere, unfortunately). Hotels generally have reasonable wifi connections, but outside of hotels there are limited free wifi hotspots, and in my experience they are either hard to find, or the logon page is in Japanese and hard to work out :) This time I have decided to rent a mobile wifi hotspot so that I will have unlimited wireless wherever I am outside of the hotel.

After a bit of research I found http://japan-wireless.com/. I haven't used them before, but their prices seem the most competitive and the service most flexible. Googling will offer other alternatives as well. I chose a 14 day package which costs around 60 Euros. A similar 7 day package would be around 40 Euros. They will deliver to your hotel, and at the end of the rental period you just drop the hotspot in the mail box.

Each hotspot accepts 5 connections, so some of you can use mine if you want, you'll just have to remain within 10 meters from me at all times, which might not be particularly convenient :)

• Like 4

My first question about the data roaming hotspots is, does that affect mobile phone use or just data components such as maps etc.

Sometimes I am technically challenged!! :D

Okay it's finally sorted! :lol:

- I will arrive at Tokyo Haneda airport at 08.20 on Monday 18th May and fly out of Haneda at 08.50 on Tuesday 26th May.

- I'm staying at the Tokyo Shinjuku Granbell from 18th to 20th May

- Travel to Kyoto on the Shinkansen (Bullet train) on Thursday 21st May

- I'm staying at the APA Hotel Kyoto-eki Horikawa-Dori from 21st to 24th May ("0.4" miles from Sakura - it's nice to be precise about things but I shall be measuring it!)

- Travel to Tokyo on the Shinkansen on Monday 25 May

- Staying at Tokyo Shinjuku Granbell on 25 May for early flight on Tuesday 26th.

Wey-hey-hey looking forward to it!  (Can anyone very kindly offer any tips on getting from Haneda airport to Shinjuku Granbell please?)

Pete.

(PS, John, I'm expecting to see up to date glossy pictures of Merlin!)

• Like 6