Asia One Challenge 2015

Dan, that would be excellent, we arrive at Narita airport.

Rgds

Christoph

There's a regular Limousine Bus service from Narita (booking office just opposite exit from customs) direct to Tokyo Railway Station. Depending on traffic it takes no longer than 90 minutes. (It drops you just across the road from the station and there's a pedestrian crossing there.) From there, there are trains about every 15 minutes going to Kyoto. Most of the trains going to Osaka stop in Kyoto. Go to the Shinkesen booking office just inside the station, where most of the assistance understand English.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Tom

• Like 1

Dan, that would be excellent, we arrive at Narita airport.

Rgds

Christoph

Hi Christoph, this is the way Ritsuko would use...

From Narita airport to Tokyo/Shinagawa by Narita Express

JR-EAST Train Reservation

From Tokyo/Shinagawa to Kyoto by Shinkansen ("bullet train")

Timetable | Central Japan Railway Company

You may want to consider getting a JR (Japan Rail) Pass before you go. It is only for foriegners and only can be purchased outside of Japan before you arrive. It would allow you to use most trains including the Shinkansen and some ferry boats too.

JR pass (7days, 14days,21days)

Japan Rail Pass - Buy your JR Pass online

• Like 1

Thanks Tom, Dan and Ritsuko!

We are slowly starting to prepare, trying to find some good guidebooks and planning what places to visit.

I dug out the book "A day in the life of Japan". The pictures were taken 30 years ago and I am wondering if those kind of images are still there - or if everything has changed.

Rgds

C.

I'm game, time off is granted by those, who pay my salary and the M-P has just been serviced.

This information is ten years old; back then, the JR-Pass allowed to use all Shinkanzen, with the exception of the fastest, which was the Nozomi. However, they are all extremely fast, I doubt it makes much of a difference arriving a few minutes earlier or later in Kyoto. As you will see, Japan is train-travellers heaven.

This information is maybe five years old, back then, a coach service from the airport to the city hotels (I think "Friendly Airport Limousine", they use buses, not US-limos) was about 3000 JPY.

For those, who are hesitating - Japan is an unique experience, it is in some respects very different but easily experienced. It is advisable to read a book about the local habits.

Stefan

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wow, why have I not seen this earlier?

I'd love to join you! I live in Osaka, and have been attending language school here for the past year. If you need someone to show you around, I'd be happy to. I also know a few camera shops around here in Osaka that I can show people if need be.

And considering my growing knowledge of the language I can help with communication as well if you need someone to. I'm not perfect, but I can get around and ask questions and such :)

For arriving, I suggest arriving at Kansai International. If you come to Tokyo and still need to go to Osaka/Kyoto, it would probably be cheaper or about the same cost to just arrive in Kansai, as it would be to arrive in Tokyo and then pay the Shinkansen ticket to Osaka or Kyoto. Of course, all up to you :)

Osaka is great for street photography as well; I have some examples on my webpage, so I can always highly recommend the Kansai area for street photos.

When you have the meet and everything set up, I'll be joining if I'm not attending school that day :)

• Like 5

We are slowly starting to prepare, trying to find some good guidebooks and planning what places to visit.

I dug out the book "A day in the life of Japan". The pictures were taken 30 years ago and I am wondering if those kind of images are still there - or if everything has changed.

Rgds

C.

This is part of the reason why I'm doing a photo project of photographing villages and their peoples. Hoping to get published.

Rgds

C.

If I may, try and find "Faces of Japan" by Bob Davis, ISBN 0-87011-338-0. I think he may have participated in the book you found but I am not sure. Anyroad, he is the guy responsible for my Leica addiction. He made me sell the Nikons and purchase, instead, an M2 + 35 Summicron; that was in 1979... He shot the pictures in his book with an M4, and all of them are in the spirit of the Challenge.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Medical objections have receded to the point that I have decided to commit to coming to, where is it anyway? Somewhere in Japan? Yes, the Asian One Challenge. This is most likely to be my last challenge so I am keen to make it.

I need some info to get organized. I think it it is scheduled for May 23(?). In the next two days I need to book flights to, where? Some advice on how much time to spend in Japan, where to go, where to sleep, etc. I will combine the trip with Vietnam, another of my 'want' destinations. Overall I can afford 3 weeks away, then need to be back here. I will check in a bit later s my thoughts solidify.

• Like 4