Asia One Challenge 2015

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some final challenge details: we will meet in the foyer at the Sakura Terrace The Gallery hotel (Pete - this is different to the 'other' Sakura Terrace hotel down the road :p) at around 12pm. At that point you can announce your choice of camera lens, focal length, and ISO to me, along with the participation fee and I will make a record. You will then have 2 hours to shoot maximum of 36 images. This is on a trust basis. The time starts from the point you take your first image, so if you first want to spend some time traveling to a particular destination, that is fine. All other details are in the document at http://Leica.photos/AOC.pdf

In the evening we will meet at the restaurant Gion Rakuraku for dinner. Their website is http://www.gion-rakuraku.com/feelings

The restaurant is on Hanamikoji Dori (the street with the Leica store on it), one block in from the intersection with Shijo Dori. If you use Google maps to find the place, cut and paste the address from their website (at the bottom of the page) as if you type 'Gion Rakuraku' it will direct you to the wrong place.

The address to use is

ぎおん楽楽

京・祇園四条花見小路下ル西側 1階

• Like 5

I hope everyone enjoyed the challenge this afternoon. As per the challenge rules, you now have until June 23rd 2359CET to submit the single shot you wish to enter. Please send it by email in a format suitable for the forum, so max 1024px, to AsiaOne(at)Leica.photos.

Thanks for taking part, and see you all at dinner!

• Like 1

Well, with everyone travelling on now, I guess it is up to me to add some acknowledgements.

My very best thanks to Simon, Ritsuko and Dan for the organization of the challenge and the frame programme, for insights, tips and linguistic and cultural translations.

Also to everyone, who joined in, braved airline food lurking under aluminium foil to make this event happen a bit away from the standard path.

Very special thanks to our local members, Yoshi-san and Takanori-san, for finding the time to join, local insights, organization of restaurants and the Geiko and Maiko photo-session. We are also indebted to Leica in Kyoto for providing their beautiful location and their studio.

Have a safe journey everyone and looking forward to see you in Vienna and in APAC in two years.

We certainly had lots of fun.

Stefan

• Like 8

I'm so glad if you had fun in my country.

Well, it's an information too late but...

If someone stay at Kyoto one more night...

Firefly started to glow in Kyoto!

Usually it stats in June but this is an exceptional year and it started already.

I'm sorry but I don't know where is a good place to see it.

I hope you can get the information at your hotel.

I'll also try to get the information.

• Like 5

Well, Stephan couldn't have expressed better the feelings about this adventure.

We are indepted to all who made it happen: Simon, Dan and Ritsuko, not forgetting our Japanese friends who took the time to make our stay an unforgetable one.

It has been a pleasure and a privilege to share this Challenge with all of you.

Philippe and Elisa

• Like 4

Party-crashing a selfie-session...

There is no need for a selfie-stick, when hanging out with the usual suspects, though...

Stefan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

Yes that works fine now, Simon, except I appear to have landed a job as a Sumo fluffer in Kobe so that should be interesting if not challenging … 

Pete. :lol:

You do know what a fluffer does in the film industry?

• Like 3

Well, next chance to meet the ususal suspects is Vienna in October :)

Concerning Japan, my recommendation would be to visit it, if you haven't.

Having seen Japan the last time privately ten years ago and for business maybe five years ago, lots of things have changed:

Finding an ATM accepting my European Visa-card was no issue at all, there are seven-eleven stores at every third corner and every one appears to have an ATM, which worked fine for me.

Mobile phone connectivity was no issue for my phones either, having a 3G-phone appears to be sufficient.

All hotels I used have WiFi. Simon rented a wireless mobile hot-spot, which apparently worked fine as well.

I didn't try the subway ticket-machine speed-wonder again, the Suica-card did the job all over Japan and can even be used to pay in convenience stores.

For some reasons, smaller photo labs were to be preferred for my special combination of C41 development and photo-CD scanning - both larger chains planned several day for a Portra development, one store mentioned a longer drying time of this film. The smaller stores did development, drying and scanning in one hour, as my home-lab does.

Stefan

• Like 7

Leica shopping

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9