Zeiss Zm 15mm vs. leica tri-elmar WATE

Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

ZM 15mm is a faster prime. WATE is a zoom, 16-18-21mm, F4, and it is said that most people use it mostly at 16mm. It should be no brainer which one is better.

But I still have a little question, there is no lens correction profile for ZM. Does that factor revert the comparison?

Why do you need 2.8 with a w/a lens ??

You can hand-hold easily at 1/8 sec at 16-21mm

The advantage of 16-21 of the WATE far outweighs the extra stop.

Correction on the 240 is almost perfect and image quality excellent.

The main consideration is PRICE :o

• Like 1

Why do you need 2.8 with a w/a lens ??

You can hand-hold easily at 1/8 sec at 16-21mm

The advantage of 16-21 of the WATE far outweighs the extra stop.

Correction on the 240 is almost perfect and image quality excellent.

-- That one stop between 2.8 and 4 helps a lot for low light. 1/8 second? maybe maybe not. It's a matter of milage and personal taste.

-- I am sure I can find some usage of the 18~21mm in WATE, but not likely as much as the f2.8.

-- I don't have M240, I have M9.

-- Yes, the lens correction still bugs me, just not sure how much difference. I am particularly concerned the color shift.

-- I'm not convinced by the other reply yet, and I'm not interested in the R lens.

OP

Just go rent one or both the lenses that interest you and then you might get a better feel for each lens. That said I like coded lenses and Zeiss lenses can be hard coded for a price or hand coded, but I found that often wears off in short order.

Edited by algrove

I had a similar doubt, but in my case it was 21 SEM vs WATE. I ended up buying SEM, and it was due to the price difference, not the IQ (not that I'm was thrilled with the SEM's performance once I got the lens).

Just for the sake of answering your question, no. I wouldn't like to hijack this thread as I opened one where the problem was described.

I received two copies and each was far away from corner to corner sharpness everyone talks about. One corner was good, the other not. On the second copy the same, but the opposite corners. I decided to keep the second one, and will send it for a repair. I truly hope Leica would fix this. Other than that, no regards, the lens should be a masterpiece from what I have seen in center, and in the "working" corner.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My 21SEM was stolen. So for me ist the question: 21SEM again or WATE. I was happy with the quality of the SEM but think about the extra possibilities with 16 and 18mm. Has anyone experience with the WATE especially with the M240 and EVF2 ? Usage mainly landscape and architecture.

If you do a lot of pure landscape work then a WATE will be an excellent investment. It's literally 3 primes in one lens, the performance is just incredible. I own the SEM now but have used the WATE before and although the SEM has a slight edge in performance I believe the extra focal lengths on the WATE far outweighs the advantages of the SEM. Here are some samples with the WATE:

10625443594_0e3bc6e7f7_c.jpg

9316067815_b8e0050d09_c.jpg

9345137313_0b68fc3fe5_c.jpg

10625690513_3de9e4f4b9_c.jpg

• Like 3

By the way sorry to hear about your SEM :(..

My 21SEM was stolen. So for me ist the question: 21SEM again or WATE. I was happy with the quality of the SEM but think about the extra possibilities with 16 and 18mm. Has anyone experience with the WATE especially with the M240 and EVF2 ? Usage mainly landscape and architecture.

Not sure this is a critical issue, but I am leaning towards WATE.

I have shot the 15mm ZM more (just one big job with the WATE), but I do not view these lenses as being either-or... they do well what each of them was designed for.

The WATE, in my limited experience, is best at 16mm and set to f/4 at all focus lengths. Good 3D, but not what I expected in comparison to my own set of Leica WA's. It is very portable!! :)

The Zeiss is excellent at f/2.8, has quite a bite and great 3D. The edges and corner performance of the Zeiss, by about f/6.3, is far superior (IMHO) to the WATE. The Zeiss is a brick... more so that the Summilux 21mm.

The difference in FOV between ZM 15mm and WATE is not small, if you shoot up close as both lenses can do.

Just to throw my own opinion as a WA addict into your mix, there is no super-wide that compares on any image measure to the quality of the SEM 18mm.... unless you want a bit of isolation and go for the nearly as spectacular Elmarit-R 19mm.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
I am particularly concerned the color shift.

The Distagon ZM 15/2.8 is a beast of a lens, but it is incredibly well made and works very well with the Monochrom and the T (limited testing so fat with the latter).

On the M9, colour shift is an issue - not huge, but an issue. The lack of coupling does mean that you are either estimating distances (not that hard, actually) or using live view for focusing (limiting you to the M(240) or the T).

Cheers

John

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

OP

Just go rent one or both the lenses that interest you and then you might get a better feel for each lens. That said I like coded lenses and Zeiss lenses can be hard coded for a price or hand coded, but I found that often wears off in short order.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to where I might be able to get the 15 distagon hard coded? TYVM!