Sturdier lens cap options on Leica lenses?

ibogost

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am not a professional so I don't have the luxury of a full kit of Leica glass, but I do have a couple of M lenses and that's really all I need anyway. But recently I picked up a CV 50/1.5 as a cheap way to get an extra stop over my Summicron. The surprising optical quality of the lens notwithstanding, one thing I really like is the Voigtlander lens cap. It's a push-on cap that actually stays on the lens. The recent snap-on Leica caps are really tenuous and often come off. I find that I'm frequently at risk of losing the cap or harming front element because it's come off in my bag.

It must be possible to get similar push-on caps right? Where? And what size/shape do I need to get relative to the M filter size?

• Like 1

Agree the push on metal lens caps on the VC lenses are lovely, just like the old Leica caps.

I've only ever seen plastic snap-on caps as after market accessories recently however, although you used to be able to buy metal screw in lens caps but I think they would become annoying.

Buy some old metal caps on the used market. Or get CV cap for 21 or 24mm lens and use it. I can`t guaranree a fit.

I got a new 50 2.8 and it came with a old style domed metal cap except it has some material on the inside other than the old felt. It falls off in a decent wind.

The old caps felt are frequently found with deteriorated and flattened felt. The best solution is to replace it with new felt, but I can`t find the purple color. Mine are all going red one by one.

• 8 years later...

Came up with this solution.

2 tiny screws woth sharp points.

PINCH THAT CAP WITH CONFIDENCE!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...