Practical Focomat & Valoy information

M.Hilo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Does anyone know of a site that has collected the ins and outs of working with the Leitz enlargers? I think most about the Focomat 1C and 2C and the Valoy II. Also the V35.

Questions and answers about maintenance, how to set the automatic focus and the various solutions for working with multigrade filters using the non color models, or solving newton rings when there's no AN glass installed . . .

Perhaps I have not read the right manuals, but those I did see I found of not much use. Of course there's a lot of information on the net, but it is scattered and it is not easy to find information of photographers with actual printing experience.

Michael

• Like 3

I have had a focomat 1c (non-colour) since about 1970, and I love it. It is a wonderful unit - a fine example of Leitz at its best. I don't know of any central repository of information.

I have an original instruction booklet that describes general maintenance and adjusting the autofocus (should not be necessary unless someone has monkeyed around with it).

To use multigrade filters, I removed the red filter below the lens. I cut up a CD-ROM into a shape much like the red filter and cut a hole in the middle about the size of the actual red filter. I screwed it onto the machine to replace the red filter, and I lay my Ilford filters on the CD-ROM - it acts as a platform for the multigrade filters. I could use it for colour filters (but I don't).

I am not aware of any alternative to the AN glass. You might find something from a scientific supply house, but it would not catch onto the condenser. There may be some tricks, but I don't know - I have the AN unit. Apparently a place called Focal Point has AN glass but I don't know anything more than that.

If you are interested in a copy of the instruction booklet send me a private message and I will scan it and email it to you.

Edited by Michael Hiles
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Michael,

I got (after years waiting for one!) a Focomat Ic. Non-color model, from 1974, tall column.

It's perfect, it only ask you a negative and a lamp. Follow the instruction manual about lubrificating now and then - and that's it.

About the multigrade filters, O just drop them over the condenser. That's enough. I believe that tu put the filters under the lens can degrade the image.

There is a metal piece to put under the condenser to avoid Newton Rings.

• Like 3

I'm afraid I cannot help with the "older" enlarger information but in my experience the V35 autofocus once set up according to the instructions works perfectly, it is a little tricky to get it right but I used a high contrast negative and fine tuned the process until I was satisfied. Maintenance is limited to applying silicon grease on the cam. If you need a copy (pdf) of the instruction manual let me know.

You are probably aware of Claudio Bonavolta's site, if not here is the link

Leitz Focomat V35

Additionally there are often discussions on the Analogue Users Forum, for instance

Leitz Focomat V35

Hope this helps

Charles

Edited by Bateleur
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I found these links useful, too...

Focomat enlargers | Darkroom User

Ollinger's Guide to Photographic Enlargers: Leitz Enlargers

He has a pdf of a 1c here...

James's Camera Collection: Manuals and Documentation

There is also the Hove Foto book "Leica Darkroom Practice" by Rudolph Seck