Assistance Requested

Luke_Miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The handle on the baseplate latch on my M9 has loosened so that it hangs down rather than staying flat. I recall a post here that showed the parts breakout of the latch assembly and how to tighten the handle. My searches have not found that post. Can anyone post the link?

Thanks,

Luke

Hi,

Not a direct answer to your query, but, do check the RRS (Really Right Stuff) (M8/M9/M9-P) replacement baseplate. I purchased the plate and 'L' part, but only use the baseplate -- the L part is much to cumbersome for normal use. I occasionally put the camera on my Gitzo tripod and the plate is then essential.

Jean-Michel

Hi,

Not a direct answer to your query, but, do check the RRS (Really Right Stuff) (M8/M9/M9-P) replacement baseplate. I purchased the plate and 'L' part, but only use the baseplate -- the L part is much to cumbersome for normal use. I occasionally put the camera on my Gitzo tripod and the plate is then essential.

Jean-Michel

Is the RRS baseplate itself practicable for use without the large grip, including using the ball-head of a tripod to switch to vertical mode. I was thinking to order just the minimal baseplate (i.e., no grip, no L-plate).

Nick

Is the RRS baseplate itself practicable for use without the large grip, including using the ball-head of a tripod to switch to vertical mode. I was thinking to order just the minimal baseplate (i.e., no grip, no L-plate).

Nick

Hi Nick,

Yes, the baseplate alone is all you really need. It is easier to put on and off, is definitely stronger than the Leica baseplate and fits into a tripod quick release head (I have an Acratech head on a Gitzo). The slightly larger size of the plate is of no consequence, the design actually helps with holding the camera. I also have a ThumbUp. The L part is really only useful if you almost always use the camera on a tripod, it is definitely not Leica-friendly.

Jean-Miche;

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You are right Luke, there was a thread but I can't find it. I don't think you need to spend all that money on a new baseplate, it was a simple fix.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I agree the fix looked pretty straightforward, but I am a bit reluctant to try it without understanding how the latch goes together.

Thanks, Steve. I agree the fix looked pretty straightforward, but I am a bit reluctant to try it without understanding how the latch goes together.

Try this thread and see if it helps:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/291311-m9-loose-base-plate-lock.html

The key entry being this one

"If you take the lock apart you will find a pin with a small bend in it that acts like a spring (2. from right). Turn the pin and/or bend it more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ps8c41cb6c.jpg

"

Nick

Exactly the same thing happened to the baseplate lock of my Monochrom whilst still under warranty, but it was also turning too far so when went to push down the D-ring it was out of alignment with the baseplate and I had to readjust the position before I could push the ring flat, and then it was so loose it slipped out of position regardless - very annoying!

I contacted Leica Germany for a new baseplate as it was a new camera and I didn't want it off for a 3 month service for a minor problem but they explained to me that there were currently no spare baseplates in stock. So Leica Australia contacted Camera Clinic who looked at the baseplate (I sent it down to them and they sent it back immediately), ordered the parts, and then I sent it down for a quick turnaround repair when the parts finally came in - quite some time actually).

Whether yours just needs tightening or a new part will depend on inspection by the repairer. As you can see below there are a surprisingly large number of parts in the baseplate lock assembly, any of which could be contributing to the the loss of tension on the D-ring.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 4

Exactly the same thing happened to the baseplate lock of my Monochrom whilst still under warranty, but it was also turning too far so when went to push down the D-ring it was out of alignment with the baseplate and I had to readjust the position before I could push the ring flat, and then it was so loose it slipped out of position regardless - very annoying!

I contacted Leica Germany for a new baseplate as it was a new camera and I didn't want it off for a 3 month service for a minor problem but they explained to me that there were currently no spare baseplates in stock. So Leica Australia contacted Camera Clinic who looked at the baseplate (I sent it down to them and they sent it back immediately), ordered the parts, and then I sent it down for a quick turnaround repair when the parts finally came in - quite some time actually).

Whether yours just needs tightening or a new part will depend on inspection by the repairer. As you can see below there are a surprisingly large number of parts in the baseplate lock assembly, any of which could be contributing to the the loss of tension on the D-ring.

[ATTACH]420664[/ATTACH]

Very useful diagram, tks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

This works (see below). I'm clumsy, but I managed to make the fix. If I can do it, anyone can do it. Thanks folks!

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:22

Luke_Miller said

Try this thread and see if it helps:
http://www.l-camera-...plate-lock.html

The key entry being this one

"If you take the lock apart you will find a pin with a small bend in it that acts like a spring (2. from right). Turn the pin and/or bend it more.
http://img.photobuck....ps8c41cb6c.jpg
"

Nick