Leica R APO Telyt 180/3.4 vs. Leica R 80-200 F4

smartbox

Unfortunately, I purchased the Novaflex M/R adaptor and it doesn't have a tripod foot. Oh well, I'll see if one of my Canon zoom tripod collars can be adapted.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Merrill

I purchased a Vello Tripod Collar from BH Photo for the 80-200. I had to notch a quarter inch section of the collar to fit over the red dot. Took all of five minutes. The collar looks like it belongs on the lens and fits great. The lens is very stable and sturdy on my tripod. It is a very nice quality piece for the price. Couldn't be happier with the choice.

Vello Tripod Collar A (Black) for Canon 200mm f/2.8, TC-AB B&H

• Like 1

My 80-200mm just arrived. I tried my Canon 70-200 f/4 tripod collar on it and, if I place the collar hinge directly over the red dot, it's a perfect fit. Only problem is, the body is at maybe a 20 degree angle off vertical. But that's easily adjustable with the ball head.

I only wish that focus peaking worked with this lens. I thought setting the lens detection for R 80-200 would fix the problem, but it doesn't. Maybe it's because I'm using the Novoflex adaptor instead of the Leica. Oh well… If anyone has experienced otherwise, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Merrill

Edited by msshea

Merrill,

Focus peaking has nothing to do with the adaptor you're using. IIRC focus peaking worked occasionally with my 80-200 Vario Elmar at 10X magnification but even though it's a pleasantly sharp lens it's not a high contrast lens so I wasn't expecting too much.

Pete.

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The APO70-180 is IMHO again better than just about any R except for maybe the 280/4 in the tele range. That said I very much like the APO 180/2.8, but they are expensive nowadays and are just one FL. The 105-280 has much less sharpness from my experience than the APO 70-180. Of course the 70-180 costs 2 times the 105-280 which costs 50% more than the 80-200. You get what you pay for, but since we all have budgets the money spent on the 80-200 will give you better overall images with much more flexibility in shooting than the APO180/3.4. After all isn't that what it's it all about, ease of image capture.

I tend to look at sharpness more than anything else. All the rest tends to fall in place for me after I achieve sharpness.

I have earlier purchased a copy of 'new in box' R 80-200mm Vario Elmar and am impressed by the picture sharpness, color rendering & contrast it produces. I had plans earlier to replace it with the R 70-180 APO Vario Elmarit but was not successful in finding a good piece. After considering my preference for hand held application and trend to shoot at close to longest focal length, I opted for getting a mint copy of R 180mm APO Elmarit and keeping my mint R 80-200mm Vario Elmar. Both lenses are about 600-700grams, both lenses combined about equal the weight of one R 70-180 APO Vario Elmarit.

• 1 month later...

I have the Vario-Elmar-R 1:4/80-200 ROM and on the M240 it's a great lens here follow some shots, and some 100% magnified shots for sharpness...

The portrait has 0 sharpness added in Lightroom, otherwise it was overly sharp for a portrait... and it was shot from a tripod at around 150mm

The other shot is in Paris, at I think f5,6 at 200mm handheld.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Some more, all handheld at 200mm F4:

And one at the closest focussing distance available, at 200mm slightly cropped in lightroom.

• Like 1

Can't speak for the 80-200 but I did at one time own the 180 Telyt APO, using it on a Nikon D700.

My 2 pfennigs:

I found it less compelling for use at near distances; the Voigtländer 180 and Nikon 180/2.8 ED that I tested it against having greater 'pop' while the CV demonstrated more pleasingly saturated colors. The Leica delivered a greenish cast to open sky and light areas that I presumed was intentionally there, to provide this lens designed for military use better contrast for B&W images at distance. At infinity or near-infinity, and especially in low-light no other lens I have used came close to preserving shadow detail. The resolving power was nothing short of mind-blowing for a circa-1975 optic and is perhaps only now exceeded in this characteristic by newer designs.

Yes, thank's, you're right.

But the depth sharpness is very close with the Elpro, difficult to get a good fucus! (Please look at high resolution samples at flickr.com)

My personal view on Leica optitics use with modern sensors or films are the warm colors, I like them.

OK, the picture on top is just a bit to dark, but jpg ooc!

I love the bockeh, i think thats Leica and that's what we're looking for, isn't it?

Edited by W124
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jaap - that would suit me, but how about the second part of my question regarding comparing the optical quality of the to lenses at similar apertures? I see that the 3.4/180 was designed in the 1970's, way before the 80-200 and the 2.8/180 but is there that much difference in IQ?