Solving Three M 240 Problems

Guest redge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Accidentally hitting the video button?

Want to remove the Leica name or red dot?

Worried about losing your camera?

Casey Neistat uploaded a video this morning to demonstrate how he solved these kinds of problems with his Canon. Different camera, but his ideas should work :)

• Like 5

Well, That was 4 minutes of my life I can't get back.

Can't please everyone. The Sundance Institute has Neistat co-hosting a daily show from the Sundance Festival at the moment. They apparently think he's fresh, irreverent and funny.

Edited by redge

Meanwhile, the video that Neistat uploaded this morning already has 50,000 views.

For M 240 owners who take their cameras "really seriously" (and have floated complaints and/or solutions about "problems" to which Neistat offers a solution), and find his video a waste of four minutes of their life, here's the video that he did when 20th Century Fox asked him to make a promotional film for The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2.8 million views). Of course, he's just a YouTube guy, not a serious Leica photographer:

Which of you spent $25K on typhoon relief?

How many of you have millions of people looking at your work?

Do M 240 owners have a sense of humour?

Interestingly, the M 240 can be used to make videos :)

Edited by redge
  • Like 2

Meanwhile, the video that Neistat uploaded this morning already has 50,000 views.

For M 240 owners who take their cameras "really seriously" (and have floated complaints and/or solutions about "problems" to which Neistat offers a solution), and find his video a waste of four minutes of their life, here's the video that he did when 20th Century Fox asked him to make a promotional film for The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2.8 million views). Of course, he's just a YouTube guy, not a serious Leica photographer:

Which of you spent $25K on typhoon relief?

How many of you have millions of people looking at your work?

Do M 240 owners have a sense of humour?

Interestingly, the M 240 can be used to make videos :)

Brilliant videos - thank you for bringing this to my attention.

• Like 3

The video that was mentioned in the first post in this thread, and that was released two days ago, now has 121,000 views.

Why so many views?

Because it takes absolutely seriously the idea that a camera is a tool rather than a status symbol.

An idea that, if you've ever seen a photo of one of Bruce Davidson's Leicas, might resonate.

Speaking of Davidson, maybe you've all seen this, but I first saw it a few days ago. It's a rare interview with him, and very much worth reading (the video version is unfortunately truncated): Bruce Davidson: Thoughts On A Lifetime With Leica

Edited by redge
  • Like 1

I was thinking of painting the big ass red dot black on my M' date=' but honestly people don't seem to really notice what it is, so I haven't bothered. If this stays true while I live in Japan, I'll just keep it the way it is.[/quote']

What lens did you get with it Torgian? I remember your thread when you were deciding what Leica to buy :)

I ended up getting the -240 with a Zeiss 35mm lens. Loving every moment of it. I really want to get a 50mm and a 80ish mm lens now as well for portraits.... but one step at a time haha :)

If get a 50mm Summicron-M or Summarit both great lenses! And for the 80ish I can recommend the 90mm Elmarit-M I love it!!!

Back to the OP... this is the stupidest video. Why doesn't this loser get a life and just move his finger off of the mic. Why not take care of your PAS, then you wouldn't have to buy a dozen of the same thing. I still have my many year old S95s... still works because I haven't f%$cked it all up with glue and an xacto-knife. What a dope.

Edited by RickLeica
  • Like 1

Back to the OP... this is the stupidest video. Why doesn't this loser get a life and just move his finger off of the mic. Why not take care of your PAS, then you wouldn't have to buy a dozen of the same thing. I still have my many year old S95s... still works because I haven't f%$cked it all up with glue and an xacto-knife. What a dope.

This "loser", as you put it, has been hired by HBO, the Sundance Festival, Mercedes Benz, Twentieth Century Fox, the New York Times, etc., etc., and has about 55 million views just for the videos that he has put on-line.

The video that you think is "stupid" and demonstrates that he is a "dope" now has 155,000 views in ten days, with pretty much uniformly positive comments, on YouTube alone, and that is not the only platform on which it has been distributed.

I can only hope that you're joking, because otherwise you have missed the point, and the humour, by a country mile.

Edited by redge
  • Like 1

He's no loser and no dope. Quite the contrary. He's a very talented and successful person. It seems to me that his cameras break because he does a heck of a lot of work with them. In addition to doing commercial work, YouTube pays him something for all of those views.

• Like 2

Guest Gilgamesh

Viewing the Bruce Davidson interview, text and Google Images work has prompted me to got out today and shoot street today as it's New Year's Day here in Mongolia and the streets are quiet.

Can't get on with a 28mm though. 35 f2 usually but today, it's the 50mm f1.4.

Hey, guys, lighten up. Can always count on those to take the thread away from the OP. It is a loser post and a dopey post. How's that. I have no idea who he is, so my comment is directed at his actions and not the man in the OP video... and it is loser video. Sorry. (Are we all watching the same video? The one he mixes up glue and puts in on a popsicle stick?)

I did go back and watch one of his videos. It was the one where he was given money (like $10K) to make a video. So, he travelled around the world for 11 days and spent the entire budget on himself and taking pictures of himself and I think trying to say carpe diem. It was ok. Nice job, I wish someone would pay me to take my S90s around the world and take this sort of video style of myself. Anyone listening? I would do it for $5K.

Edited by RickLeica
  • Like 1