Advice on 75 Summilux

MarkP

I had understood all used the same formula. My one is a Canadian, at th time I bought they were less revered than the German ones, is cheaper.

My one had a Leica code and adjust about 2 years prior to purchase.

PS I do have a friend who has a Canadian one too, he sent his for coding and adjustment and they both take identical pictures with very minor differences in focus (only about 1-2 mm)

• Like 1

So do you like v1 lens or just the v1 shade? :rolleyes:

Even though I've gone ahead and bought a v2 lens I'm interested whether there is any difference in the optical cell and performance of the two models or just the cosmetics, shade, and of course price?

The optics are identical. Use either without worry.

Mark, I find LeicaGoodies 'steer' a great help with the Summilux 75mm.

• Like 2

If I am not mistaken, the v1 75/1.4 does focus only down to 1m, while the v2 and v3 (or v2.5) focus both down ton 0.7m, which can be very useful for details with the 75mm lens (same as 75/2 ASPH of course).

This one taken with Canadian v2 (32246xx) focused down at shortest distance, M8, 1/90, 320, aperture not recorded. I think the distance was even less than 0.7m, maybe 55…60 cm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Looking forward to seeing some pictures Mark :-)

'Looking forward to seeing' the lens which is still in transit.

Just checked and it's clearing Sydney customs having been sent from Germany.

Considering the public holidays, if it isn't delivered tomorrow it will probably be Monday.....

• Like 2

I know I'm not supposed to post photos here but they are relevant to the lens' discussion.

First test shots with 1.4/75 Summilux.

Great ergonomics. Not as big or heavy as I thought it would be.

Long focus throw, not too heavy, with large diameter focus ring suits this lens.

Still getting used to the very thin DOF.

Use of OVF and EVF seem to give identical focus at f1.4 but needs more testing.

Just a little less contrast at f1.4 but you would know from previous posts elsewhere that I generally prefer a bit more DOF on my subjects so I'll probably be using f2.0-4.0 more than f1.4.

On first impressions c/w the 75 Summicron ASPH - not quite as sharp, more muted colours, nicer Bokeh (although it's pretty good on the Summicron), less contrast.

Much too early to decide whether to sell the Summicron - maybe I'll just be greedy and keep both as I think I can see where I'd prefer to use the each lens :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to like this lens - a lot!

It's off for 6-bit coding & CLA after I'm back from my holiday in mid-January.

on M240.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

and Monochrom (handheld at 1/60sec f1.4 so not as sharp as it should be).

I'll shoot some more today with this camera.

• Like 12

Mark, I am very interested about the "more muted colors". Is it something related to the lower contrast of the lens, or is it due to inferior/uneven transmission properties of the older glass ?

It would be great if you could post the same color picture, shot with both lenses:

- 75 Cron @ f/2

- 75 Lux @ f/2

- 75 Lux @ f/1.4

So we could also appreciate the rendering style difference.

I am also in the market for a mid-tele and undecided about 75 Cron, 75 Lux and 90 Cron.

I'll shoot some direct comparisons in the next day or so and post them here.

The comparison between these two lenses is a similar situation to comparing the 1.0/50 Noctilux and the 1.4/50 Summilux ASPH (FLE) although the Noctilux is of lower contrast when shot wide open and has more barrel distortion and vignetting than the 75 Summilux.

I don't know the answer your question about the colours with respect to the relative properties of the glass - maybe someone else could answer the question.

• Like 1

Without knowing how Mark processed his pictures, I'd say that the one with the swimming goggles shows the particular signature of this lens wide open (or thereabouts). The Noctilux f/1 would be quite close, particularly in terms of color rendering, but would indeed show more glow/less contrast and a healthy dose of extra vignetting.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Wonderful thread. Many thanks to all. Also took the advices given here and acquired a Canadian version of the Summilux 75 on eBay. Rangefinder focusing with M10 works perfect. No focusing / calibration issues at all. Although, I have it at Leica Service at the moment - some fresh grease after roughly 30 years of lifetime is sure well spend. So, while waiting to have it back in full blossom, I take some enjoyment of that wonderful lens by rereading this topic. You are all so right :) Thank you!

P.S. By mistake I rated this threat 4 stars. Actually, I didn't intend to rate anything, I just grabbed my iPad on that spot. Can't reverse it. At least, I tried to update to a appropriate 5 star, but that wasn't possible either. Nevermind

• Like 3

... Rangefinder focusing with M10 works perfect. No focusing / calibration issues at all...

Yes, really want to see some samples of the 75 Lux on the M10 when your lens is returned and you get out and about with it.

It is my favorite lens - despite its brick-like weight, difficulty of easy-balance carry and the difficulty of dead-on focus! (I have an M240 with Live View but much prefer using the viewfinder rather than the LCD, or the EVF for that matter.)

But, when everything comes together in a shot it can be sublime. Practice...practice...practice!

Since I keep the M9, and my A7.mod is not great over 1500 ISO, my 75 Lux is always in the bag after dark, or if I have to shoot indoors. Ironically if I had M10 I could probably use something smaller and lighter ;)

I'm not that romantic about it. I had to pay a fortune and I expect it to deliver LOL

17386417061_6f94f33494_b.jpg

Txt Pro by unoh7, on Flickr

Like Mandler's 50 Lux and Cron, it usually does, but with that special degree of difficulty implicit with 75mm :)

When I am not walking far, I have learned to bring it along for the landscapes also:

30676705525_3984a2b1f4_b.jpg

Voluptuous Fall by unoh7, on Flickr

Few realize the 75 Lux equals the 90 APO stopped down.

While it can be too searing on some complexions by f/2, it's a true professional lens, like the Nikkor 300/2.8 EDIF.

As many know, best to find one seldom used even if you must pay hundreds extra. I've heard many who tried multiple copies but all had been beat up in some respect. They are glued, like the 135/2.8 and a number of others, which makes CLA harder and a source of damage in some copies. A nice clean one, properly calibrated is gold.

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

I just became the proud owner of a Canadian 75mm Summilux, #3458245.

Amazing lens. Still getting used to it and the thin DOF, but I'm really impressed.

Thanks for the amazing thread!

• Like 1