Leitz Valoy II

poppers

I use a 150 Watt shortneck opal bulb in this enlarger. These bulbs are not as easy to find as the more common longer 150 Watt bulbs. The shortneck bulbs are easier to find in 75 Watt. Probably that's what this enlarger came with at the time. If you'd use, for instance, a EL Nikkor 50/2.8 lens, then the 75 Watt bulb should be ok.

I may have a manual, will check. But you don't really need one.

What's good to know is that you can take out the condensor (to clean it - important!) without doing an operation from above: you tilt the head backwards and fix it with the chrome part on the left. Make sure you have a good light so you see what you're doing. Take out the negative holder, so it won't damage the condensor's glass. You can twist or turn the condensor and a kind of a boyonet allows it to come down and out. Be very carefull with the glass on either side, and in particular the glass at the bottom. That, with your (dark)grey version, is anti-newton treated and damages easily.

Apart from this everything is quite straight forward. If you have a Focotar, you should also have an extention ring. It may be inside without you knowing it . . .

Hope this helps, great little enlarger !

Edited by M.Hilo

The bulb numbers are 211 (75w), 212 (150w) and 213 (250w). I use a 212 in my focomat 1c, which is essentially the same design as the Valoy. I have never seen a 213, and it may run quite hot. But it is listed and they are all findable via Google, and obtainable by mail order at reasonable prices.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the Valoy II manual it says you can use 75W to 150W bulbs (opallampe).

The general opinion is that the shortneck bulbs give a more even illumination. Supposedly this goes not only for the Valoy II, but also for the Focomat 1C first version with the rounded head.

To be honest, I get quite good results with any combination . . .