CV 15f4.5 super wide heliar on M8??

elcap

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone have experience with that combo? I read a few reports about the lens attached to an M9 like THIS one.

It looks like the lens doesn't have a filter thread, although apparently there are people shooting with a filter on, like that guy, would he glue the filter on the lens?:confused:

Would I need cornerfix when shooting colour?

What about coding the lens on the M8?

Are there other lenses to consider? With the 1.33 crop factor I'd like to get as wide as possible, I think I wouldn't mind shooting with an external viewfinder (depth of field! :D)

I was also thinking about the Leitz 21f3.4, any opinions to that?

The CV is a nice lens - lots of info on this forum. Get the (newer, rangefinder-coupled) M mount version.

If you want wide and versatile, you may want to consider the WATE.

You'll need a finder - make sure you take into account the crop factor (eg, you need a 28 finder for a 21 lens - or the Frankenfinder).

The Voigtlander is a great lens on the M8. No red edges and stunningly sharp right from wide open without any distortion.

It's a no brainer - if you want a truly excellent superwide lens on the M8, the little Voigtlander is the way to go. If you can get a rangefinder coupled one then go for it but optically the older and the new versions of this lens are the same. Depth of field is so great that if you can estimate 1 to 2 meters then you wont go far wrong with focus, so the non rangefinder coupled lens is really easy to use.. Use a 21mm finder on the M8 to take into account the crop factor of the camera.

I completely agree!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It looks like the lens doesn't have a filter thread, although apparently there are people shooting with a filter on, like that guy, would he glue the filter on the lens?:confused:

Two versions: one without the thread, one with. I think the one without was LTM and the one with was M, but I can't remember.

I used a CV 15/4.5 on M8 for a couple of years. It was the uncoupled version. Never had any problems zone focussing. Tiny little lens was great for travel. I used to just jam a polarizing or infra-red filter into the metal lens hood - wrap a broad rubber band around first if you are precious about scratching the filter metal or lens hood.

It was not the most flare resistant lens, and quite low contrast. But the biggest problem was that I found f/4.5 very limiting indoors. When I moved on to an M9 I bought a ZM 21/2.8 biogon which is faster, has richer colours and is more flare resistant.

On the M8 I would consider this CV 15mm against the ZM18mm biogon.

wow guys, thank you very much for the quick and informative answers!

I am especially interested in the Voigtländer since it's so cheap :)

and I don't think I would go for a WATE, the thing is just too big.

The Voigtlander is a great lens on the M8. No red edges and stunningly sharp right from wide open without any distortion.

this is just the information I needed, I like the field of view on the M8, thanks for the examples!

I did the report you referenced on the 15/4.5

Awesome reviews on your website Jason, the picture of the bridge made me want a really wide lens :D

Good reports about the Voigtlander 21mm f1.8.

is there a filter thread on the Ultron? I would like to use an IR cut filter, otherwise results on the M8 can be rather, let's say interesting, like the tree HERE

(my first few days were without an IR cut filter)

I would definitely go with the rangefinder coupled version of the super wide heliar. can I get the 21mm viewfinder separately?

• Like 1

wow guys, thank you very much for the quick and informative answers!

I would definitely go with the rangefinder coupled version of the super wide heliar. can I get the 21mm viewfinder separately?

Right decision... CV15 is a litlle fine lens and I have even thought to exchange my LTM version with the new one.. for a M8 user like me, the std. (52mm) filter thread is definitely a plus, even more than the RF coupling. You can find lot of posts about in the forum, and, for the viewfinder, look at cameraquest site to find the right solution (www.cameraquest.com : lot of detailed infos on the CV lenses)

• Like 1

VC 15/4.5 was my favorite lens on M8.

Actually, when I had two bodies one was "permanently"paired with this great WA...

I would also go for newer version, mostly because it has proper way of mounting UV/IR filter needed for M8.

When I had my (first version), I used JM's adapter. Now, I have FF Leicas but I still got the second version of the lens. I love it so much, and I am willing to deal with "color issues" on ff sensor...:D

• Like 1