Istanbul Challenge - The winner

andybarton

Please help to choose a venue for the "One Challenge 2014"  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Please help to choose a venue for the "One Challenge 2014"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It certainly makes sense to have guidelines.

It also makes sense to make people aware of the guidelines

before giving them the opportunity to vote.

This is a valid point and "mea culpa". Having done so many of these now, I took it for granted that attendees would be aware of the admittedly unwritten guidelines re accessibility for proposed locations.

Thank you to all voters.

I have a good news: I contacted with the Leica store in Istanbul. They will support this event.

I know Istanbul is a difficult place for you. But, i can help you if you need anything about Istanbul. Please don't worry.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2014 Istanbul - Dagmar and myself have never been to Istanbul before.

To get some insight of the culture and history I've bought Orhan Pamuk's book "Istanbul - Memories of a City". Should be an interesting read notably due to the photos of historic Istanbul as well.

However, any accommodation recommendations?

Cheers,

Carsten and Dagmar

Hi Carsten,

First piece of advice - don't book a hotel yet! A lot of hotels won't have worked out their discounted rates for that far ahead yet, and you will only find the full price room rates listed on online sites until nearer the time.

I have stayed at a number of hotels in Istanbul over the years, and have never had a bad experience. But it does depend on how much you wish to spend. At the top of the scale places like intercontinental are really excellent, but pricey. Middle range Marmara, Grand Hyatt, and Swisshotel Bosphorous are all good. There are plenty at the budget end as well - most recently I stayed at Ramada Taksim which iirc was less than 100€ per night, and it was a good hotel, well located.

It's probably worth one of us making some formal suggestions for members to book - I can check that with friends in Istanbul once the program is a bit more known. Istanbul is huge and if everyone has free choice we will end up being very far apart from one another. Would definitely suggest staying on the European side, and probably around Taksim makes a lot of sense.

• Like 3

2014: Instanbul: GREAT

It was also my 1st choice as I never have been there.

Must be very interesting for shooting.

In fact I found the 2013 One- Challenge in Wetzlar a very difficult one. Not many people on the street and only a few that I found interesting to shoot.

I'm 100% confident that there will be more people on the streets in 2014 compared to 2013:D:D

Looking forward meeting you all there again.

Wetzlar 2013 was a great experience for me and I would like to thank the participants for all those nice conversations that you cannot have with your wife :D:D

John

• Like 1

The last time in Istanbul, I stayed in this place, the neighbouring building is the Haghia Sophia. I haven't decided yet, whether I would like to try something new this time.

Since I assume, that most of us will stay in Sultanahmet, where most of the tourist attractions are, it might be a good idea to start the challenge there.

Looking very much forward to the next challenge

Stefan

• Like 1

Eileen and myself are hoping to be there. I think I'm also going to look at the cost of including Amman (Jordan) as a side trip, as although I've been to Petra many times (I lived in Jordan in the sixties) I'd like to the chance to photograph it again; this time in Leica digital. All the other times have been film and I never had a really wide lens.

Someone else mentioned what I was going to say. As Istanbul is such a large city it would make sense to decide on a general area for the event before making hotel bookings. Otherwise we could end up miles and miles from each other.

Regards to all,

Tom

... I think I'm also going to look at the cost of including Amman (Jordan) as a side trip...

I was thinking of including Armenia as a side trip, but transport is very difficult (indirect) due to conflicts with Turkey. We're considering Greece or another Turkish location, but now that you mention it, Jordan would also be wonderful.

There's also the possibility of taking a bus to Izmir and then a dolmus to Selcuk to see the ruins at Ephesus. It will be less crowded that time of year. Also cooler than summer, every time I've been their it's been roastingly hot.

The area near Agia Sofia and the blue mosque contains some wonderful sites.