Istanbul Challenge - The winner

andybarton

Please help to choose a venue for the "One Challenge 2014"  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Please help to choose a venue for the "One Challenge 2014"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also voted for Tokyo in Wetzlar. Yes, I agree it is a less practical choice for some members, compared to somewhere 'local' such as continental Europe, yes it will cost a lot more and won't be as easy for a weekend visit (but I also know a fair number of members in Wetzlar who turned the challenge into a longer trip anyway) but it's also a location with a lot of photographic history (albeit not Leica) and motives, and a huge Leica/film following.

A couple of reasons why Tokyo is an excellent place for a photographer:

- People - Tokyo is a street photographer's paradise. The Japanese love to have their photos taken, and at weekends, especially around Harajuku, many teenagers go out dressed up in the style of cosplay. Day to day bustle of business. Geishas. Temple goers. Train stations.

- Architecture - Tokyo is a mixture of modern and contemporary architecture, mixed with traditional temples and parks

- Food - OK, not a photographer specific thing, but the best place to try sushi, noodles etc ;)

- Shopping - Camera shops in Tokyo are amazing. Especially the second hand market is overflowing with every brand you can imagine, and more than ample selection of Leica goodies. Take one example - Lemon Camera in Ginza, maybe a store of around 200m2, last time I was there the Leica cabinet was maybe 6m wide, 6 shelves high with pretty much every lens you would want to buy (I saw multiple noctiluxes, WATEs, special edition bodies etc). From what the store owner told me, many elderly Japanese photographers/business men invested in Leica years ago, and now they are retiring they want to release some capital. So the shops are taking in more and more barely used Leica gear to sell on commission. And there are 10s more stores, all with similar stock. With today's exchange rate, prices are also reasonable.

- Exhibitions - Tokyo Museum of Photography, Leica boutique, JCII museum

Regards the organisation side of the event, I would be happy to help out - my wife is Japanese, as is DanBachmann's wife. I also know a number of contacts on the ground over there, both photographically and non photographically

Fully agree it's a slightly 'different' suggestion than normal, but if we do collectively decide to go there, I'm sure it will be just as much fun as the previous weekends have been. Wetzlar was my first one, but I really enjoyed it.

The point of a vote is that everyone gets a chance to express their opinion by clicking on the appropriate button, and 'the people' collectively choose the outcome (at least in properly democratic societies :D). My personal preference goes to Tokyo, but I would be equally happy with Istanbul or Lisbon as well, and fully understand these are the more likely choices.

(James, just think of Tokyo as the Monster Raving Loony Party - they stand for vote each year, and know they'll never get a seat in parliament, but it doesn't stop them from standing ;))

• Like 5

For the one challenge 2614 I propose Kepler-22b. Though we'd need to set off early next week if we're to get there on time.

Nice idea, though we'd better make it 2714, so Tom and Eileen can set off in good time in the Land Rover.

More seriously, Tokyo would be a total non-starter for us, and not just for the expense. Not that expense isn't the major consideration! I suspect that £100 per night might get you a bunk in one of those cubicle hotels. By the time you've paid air fares, reasonable hotels and meals for two, you could buy a modest second-hand car of half-decent quality (or take your pick of the equivalent cost in s/h Leica gear). Priorities.

I'd like to echo Andy's words about the work involved in the organisation. I did the second seaside challenge at Whitby, which was an absolute doddle in comparison, but it still needed a recce trip. So renewed thanks and appreciation to all past and present organisers.

• Like 1

FYI

Istanbul:

Cheapest flight around mid-October 2014 £167 on Ukraine Intl. via Kiev!

There are however a number of others under £200.

As I don't do Easyjet or MonkeyAir I don't know their prices, or indeed care!.

Lisbon:

BA £130, TAP £152. A few options combine the two airlines.

And just so as to keep things fair,

Tokyo:

Finnair £634, £670, SAS £646.

It's possible to get a B&B/Ryokan in Tokyo for well under £100/night.

Another thing:

Do we have anyone who can assist in organising either in Istanbul or Lisbon?

• Like 2

Turkish Airlines (European Airline of he Year, apparently), have direct flights from Gatwick to Ataturk for £148 return Thursday 9/10, return Monday 13/10

I have no problem with easyJet, but wouldn't fly with the Irish airline

I don't have a problem with the process that gave us the top 3. I like the idea that the people who attend the event get to decide on the shortlist for the following years. There's always the potential for what might be termed a 'curved ball', but it seems a good compromise that the shortlist is produced, and then the full forum have the opportunity to select the final destination.

By the way, has there been a link to this thread on the German side of the forum? There were a lot of German attendees, and I'm sure many of them would be interested in next years event.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interestingly the two best attended challenges have been held in Germany.

Well, there is an easy explanation for that, I guess. First, we have have many Leica fans here in Germany and second, Germany is somewhat in the middle of Europe, pretty easy to get there from virtually everywhere. ;)

• Like 1

(James, just think of Tokyo as the Monster Raving Loony Party - they stand for vote each year, and know they'll never get a seat in parliament, but it doesn't stop them from standing ;))

Well I did vote for a Monster Raving Loony candidate in the local council elections one year - the candidate actually had some very good (local issue) policies against the usual party line stuff of the main parties.

But you're right, he didn't win!

Well, the selection process as it is at the moment appears to be the best compromise - at least, I can't come up with something better.

Unless something dramatic happens, I'll attend the 2014 challenge, regardless of the outcome of this vote. As discussed during the dinner, my recommendation for a location in Japan would have been Kyoto. Should Tokyo win the challenge, contrary to expectations, I can ask some people about local intelligence.

My vote during the Wetzlar dinner went to New York, we have very active members there, and I thought it might be nice to give them a chance to join. Feasibility is relative, in this context - thinking about it, I paid more for the flight to Krakow than to New York. Time difference is only six hours to CET (and five to UK).

Istanbul would be an easy target from my situation, having a numerous Turkish minority over here, I get three daily direct flights with Türk Hava Yollari (aka Turkish Airlines). Since THY is heading upmarket, their flights are pretty good, they are one of my favourite airlines. I also remember two excellent restaurants in Sultanahmet :)

Stefan

• Like 2

I think what we have here, from everyone's perspective, should be something we can be excited about. Let me put your fears to rest and explain why.

It has been mentioned that if Tokyo/Japan were to win, there would be something in Europe to accommodate everyone also. It is also doubtful that it would get the winning vote. However, what we are seeing is that there is an interest to hold events outside of Europe. With roots back in this forum, the Leica Challenge has the potential to go global! With the same logic, I would find NYC acceptable.

We have yet to tap the Leica users in Japan who must exist simply by the evidence of the many second hand Leica shops that Simon/DigitalHeman points out. Logistically, this is a place where through business or family at least three of us have some sort of connection to help with the restaurant logistics and perhaps with affordable "business hotels" in different areas of Japan. If we did have a trip to Japan, we will be able to have a plan ahead just as well as we would somewhere closer to home. The cultural differences would only add to the experience.

Everyone I have met on the Challenge has been a pleasure and each year I look forward to seeing the familiar faces, getting to know some of you better and/or meeting someone new. I know many of you feel the same. It's great to see the interest in the Challenge on this forum, so I know it will continue for many years. Our photographic passion brings us together in a special way - a good thing, no matter where it happens to be.

• Like 8

Hi there,

I'm founder of Turkish Leica community, Leica Türkiye.

If Istanbul will be the next destination, i will reach my friends and we will join the event.

We will be happy to see you in Istanbul.

Edited by odeon

I voted for Istanbul on the night, but Lisbon also sounds very attractive ..... not can't decide.

Tokyo would be great and if by some remote chance it won we would no doubt go. However, I agree that for the majority it isn't really practical.

If a few people are interested in Tokyo/Japan, it may be an idea to try and arrange a trip outside of the actual Challenge.

Cheers, Tom

Don't have a problem with the open vote. Have a problem with holding the challenge at locations that excludes those of us with obligations that means we can't take a week for this.

IMHO this particular challenge should be a European challenge. Open to anyone, naturally, but organized with in what can be considered a European city.

If enthusiasts from other continents wants to hold a challenge where they are that is great. I'd enjoy the results and vote for the ones I thought best. I would, however, not vote for a venue for a challenge in another part of the world as I would let that choice be made by those that would be the attendees of that challenge.

Carl

• Like 2

I totally agree Carl. I mentioned earlier in this thread that we could have a multi location One Challenge, I was really 'thinking aloud' but if members of the forum further away want to organize them, there's nothing stopping anyone from attending whichever challenge/location they prefer.

Of course it all depends on individuals who are prepared to step up and organise the events. I know one of our members in the US tried to do exactly that but there wasn't much appetite for it and it's not happened since.

If we have only one venue for the challenge and we start holding it in locations that are less convenient for the majority of those who have so far taken part, and where the majority of forum members are based, I think that it may go the same way.

Well, I can see the point about the accessibility, since most people will plan for a (long) weekend trip. But then, as James has just mentioned, looking at the voting table, I have the feeling, that this is sorting out itself in the voting process. Just to mention, a limitation to Europe does not guarantee accessibility, while there are locations outside Europe, which are pretty feasible for an extended weekend.

Adding to it, should Istanbul win, leaving Europe will mean just a very short ferry ride...

Stefan