The Sony A7 thread [Merged]

dmclalla

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Okay, page 242 and no chance of reading all of this! I have a M9, MM and primarily use Zeiss and Summilux 35/1.4, Nocti 50 F1, Zeiss Sonnar and Summicron APO and Summilux 75/1.5. On rare occasion, a Voigt 15II and various other Leica and Zeiss. Is the Sony A7s or A7II worth considering? Just a quick summary would be nice for those who have been following the thread. Thanks!

Jonathan

Edited by 349A

Okay, page 242 and no chance of reading all of this! I have a M9, MM and primarily use Zeiss and Summilux 35/1.4, Nocti 50 F1, Zeiss Sonnar and Summicron APO and Summilux 75/1.5. On rare occasion, a Voigt 15II and various other Leica and Zeiss. Is the Sony A7s or A7II worth considering? Just a quick summary would be nice for those who have been following the thread. Thanks!

Jonathan

Yes

• Like 1

Well, from your brief message nobody could make a worthwhile judgement, we dont know what sort of pics you take, or what your preferences are.

I followed the threads here and elsewhere from the start when the Sonys were announced and it took me over a year to decide to buy an A7, and I have one or two lenses more problematic than any of yours.

Coming late to the party there's no substitute for doing the legwork yourself I'm afraid

Gerry

I have been reading this thread with interest the past several days, especially the A7 ii ..... ran into a professional photographer of long stand who was singing its praises especially with Leica lenses. After reading other comments on the web, I was able to take a look at it today and hold it etc ..... First, it feels comfortable to hold but just doesn't have the same feel I enjoy with a Leica. Second, and more important to me, it would mean going back to an SLR view of the world -- a view I had for about 40 years. After getting used to RF once again (started there in the late 60s) i have no desire to go back. So, I will wait for something as good with the form factor and feel I want. Meantime, film and the M9 will serve me just fine for my purposes. Thanks all for posting your views, etc, they have been helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

Its going to be my ONLY camera :)

me too, if there is no M with build in EVF is coming, and as far as it was posted in this forum (Q-forum), there will never be a M like the new Q.

In this case, the new Sony may be the new M to me. But first we should see whether the wide-angel problem is solved by the new sensor. Does anyone know, when the sony will be in stock? Otherwise, if the alpha7rII is not working with the M-lenses, I'm forced to sell my M-lenses and buy Zeiss lenses. I think they do a good job too.

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I ordered the a7rii and both of the 85 & 25 Zeiss Blits lenses both with AF and if I can get my head and fingers wrapped around the shitty Sony menu and buttons then I will send all my Leica gear to the dry box for an indefinite sentence

I ordered the a7rii and both of the 85 & 25 Zeiss Blits lenses both with AF and if I can get my head and fingers wrapped around the shitty Sony menu and buttons then I will send all my Leica gear to the dry box for an indefinite sentence

I've been using the A7 for around a month now, and to be honest once you have got the camera configured and have set up the most used functions on the custom buttons, there is no real need to go into the menus during shooting, just like on a Leica.

But yes, when you do have to go into the menus to do something specific, it can be frustrating finding the exact feature you need :)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I've been using the A7 for around a month now, and to be honest once you have got the camera configured and have set up the most used functions on the custom buttons, there is no real need to go into the menus during shooting, just like on a Leica.

But yes, when you do have to go into the menus to do something specific, it can be frustrating finding the exact feature you need :)

Are you shooting both Leica and Sony lenses on the A7......My wife has the Sony 55mm f1.4 and it is super sharp. I am hoping the new Zeiss Blits lenses will be up there with the Otus lessees that are as good as it gets :)

Are you shooting both Leica and Sony lenses on the A7......My wife has the Sony 55mm f1.4 and it is super sharp. I am hoping the new Zeiss Blits lenses will be up there with the Otus lessees that are as good as it gets :)

No, I only purchased the body and a Novoflex adapter. I tried the Metabones adapter first but the fit was very poor so I exchanged it for the Novoflex which imo has a much better build quality.

Would you please be so kind and test your M-lenses on the A7rII , especially wide-angle, before you box your leica lenses, and share your experience with us? I would greatly appreciate your comment on this combo.

Edited by saxo

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Would you please be so kind and test your M-lenses on the A7rII , especially wide-angle, before you box your leica lenses, and share your experience with us? I would greatly appreciate your comment on this combo.

Will do

• Like 1

Well, I'm not an 'early adopter', and just as the new cameras are coming out I am just getting the hang of the A7.  After a few months of 'testing' I got the chance to use it properly on a recent trip to Norway.  Some photos on the Photos, Other section starting on:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/219217-a7r-images-with-leica-lenses-open-thread/page-31

Very happy with the performance of my Leica 21, 50 and 90 lenses, 35 is a problem!  Relying on Voigtlander for 35 (Ultron 40/2 SLII) and 28 (Ultron 28/1.9) at the moment pending further thoughts!

I thought that after 50+ years in photography with film I could relax as 'I knew it all', its been and is a steep learning curve to get to grips with digital, I think I'm getting there, but any constructive criticism would be appreciated!

Gerry