Jinfinance OUFRO - Caveat Emptor

jpfisher

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was very excited to see that Jinfinance has started to sell a clone of the OUFRO extension tube. Seems like a perfect fit for the M240 and live view. (10mm Extension Tube Ring Work for Leica Oufro 16469Y M M240 Type 240 M6 M7 M8 M9 | eBay)

But, it doesn't fit. I tried to mount it on mine and, from what I can tell, it looks like it hits up against the internal baffle--the same one that prevents the DR Summicron from mounting. It mounts perfectly to my M3, but it's not nearly as practical.

I contacted the seller, but they are out of the office until 10/6. Hopefully they can redesign the adapter to fit the M 240. The price was right, and its solidly built. It's just built too deep. In the meantime, I'm requesting a return/refund.

Just a note in case anyone else was considering a purchase.

Jim

• Like 4

how about the original OUFRO ring- has anyone tested it on the M240 yet? I have one but can't do it until I get my camera back. I assume it is just for Macro use with evf/live view? The clone certainly looks the part and they already sold 12. Can you file off the offending material? Is there any chance it is only the layer of chrome that causes the issue? they may not have properly accounted for the additional thickness of the chrome plating...

Edited by jaques

A google image search turned up a Flickr image (Leica M 240 Oufro 16469 setup | Flickr - Photo Sharing!) of the OUFRO mounted to the M240.

I put up a want to buy ad on GetDPI and got a quick response; I should have the Leitz OUFRO on hand next week to verify.

Not sure if it's the chrome plating, it is very tight and turns maybe half of the distance that it needs to before it stops, and even that half turn feels very, very tight. It wouldn't surprise me if you could off a millimeter and have it be fine, but I'm not that handy.

And yes, it's for macro with live view. I've been using a 55mm Micro-Nikkor via an adapter for that purpose, but would rather just carry the ring with me to save some space.

I suppose if I'm not able to return the Jinfance version for whatever reason I could stack it on top of the OUFRO for those times when I wanted a 20mm extension; but I'm not that skilled with macro work, so I don't know how that would work out.

• Like 1

I have just tried my OUFRO on the M240 and it fits without any problems.

My main use has been to reduce the near focusing distance with my viso Telyt 280mm when used with my Visoflex spacer adapter. That involves attaching it to the viso spacer rather than the camera. However I have checked that it fits directly on the M240.

OUFROs have become ridiculously expensive in recent years so a less expensive clone would be very useful. Jinfinance are good people to deal with so I would expect them to sort out the problem.

• Like 1

Thanks for the extra confirmations on the original OUFRO. I'm looking forward to getting one; I used something similar (the Hawk's Helicoid adapter) to add close focus to M glass when I was shooting with a Sony NEX body. This isn't quite as convenient as I'll have to remove it to get infinity back, but it's not any more difficult than the lens change I was making before to go from the 50mm Lux to the 55mm Micro-Nikkor.

I've bought from Jinfinance in the past and found them to be a top-notch shop, I should have mentioned that in the original post. I've no doubt that they'll make this right; my only intention was to warn off others who might be ready to buy one to save the hassle of a return. China is shut down for a national holiday from what I've been told, but I'm hoping to work it out with the company next week.

I am using a 21mm extension tube from Amedeo Muscelli with no major problems on Visoflex lenses. The male bayonet is a bit loose and the female a bit tight but it does not foul anything. I was going to order a few samples and offer them to forum members at cost but Amedeo sadly would not agree to improve bayonet tolerances, so I declined to proceed.

Wilson

• Like 1

I am using a 21mm extension tube from Amedeo Muscelli with no major problems on Visoflex lenses. The male bayonet is a bit loose and the female a bit tight but it does not foul anything. I was going to order a few samples and offer them to forum members at cost but Amedeo sadly would not agree to improve bayonet tolerances, so I declined to proceed.

Wilson

Wilson,

Did you mean 41mm?

I believe Novoflex now make a suitable 41mmVisoflex spacer. Incidentally my SRB Griturn spacer works well and after hand coding it brings up the R lens menu.

Wilson,

Did you mean 41mm?

I believe Novoflex now make a suitable 41mmVisoflex spacer. Incidentally my SRB Griturn spacer works well and after hand coding it brings up the R lens menu.

Archie,

Yes brain fade I am afraid - as you say 41mm :eek:

Wilson

PS The other interesting alternative to extension tubes is the Novoflex Bellows. Unlike the Leica bellows, with an LTM to M adapter, this will fit on the front of an M body. The only other issue is that the other end is LTM 39mm but that allows a wide range of older lenses and lenses with removable lens heads to fit. You may want the LEIMAR or LEIEL adapters for other lenses.

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

i was lucky enough to get an OUFRO ring the other day- along with a TXBOO extension tube- in a box of sundry leica bits and pieces I grabbed at an auction for $50.:) I was an idiot and sold a 22232 ring that was there- for m42 to Leica M.:confused: should have kept that- there is such a large world of M42 vintage glass ou there- it is only a matter of time before I will need it. but it paid for the others and then some - and there are clones aplenty:D not so txboo and oufro.

I can't wait to test Oufro- and will post here- but my M is off in repairland... :(

anyone using the TXBOO on the m240 yet?

Edited by jaques

Archie,

PS The other interesting alternative to extension tubes is the Novoflex Bellows. Unlike the Leica bellows, with an LTM to M adapter, this will fit on the front of an M body. The only other issue is that the other end is LTM 39mm but that allows a wide range of older lenses and lenses with removable lens heads to fit. You may want the LEIMAR or LEIEL adapters for other lenses.

Wilson

I am not familiar with the Novoflex Bellows system but having looked at the price of the bellows not to mention the adapters, I think I will stick to my Leica Bellows II as I already have quite a collection of rings and adapters for it.

Out of curiosity I got out my old BPM Universal Bellows which I used to use with my Pentax DSLRs and with my M2 in film days. It can be fitted directly to the M240 with no risk of getting stuck and being very light and compact is quite useable for hand held macros. Although no longer manufactured it is still possible to get adapter rings for it.

Archie,

It is interesting what has happened to Novoflex bellows prices since the M240 came out. I think I paid $8 for mine including a LEIEL adapter about 6 years ago. The much rarer LEIMAR adapter cost me $40. If I was still doing museum archival work (I stopped because getting them to pay their bills was more trouble than the income was worth), I would probably get a Contax (CX/Y) bellows, then put it on my Novoflex LEM/CONT adapter and use my various Contax lenses. This is a very rigid and beautifully made bellows. The nice thing about the Novoflex is that it has micrometer adjustment on the bellows length, after you have done the rough focus adjustment. Together with the 10X zoom, this makes macro focus extremely accurate. A different world from using the old Visoflex III, even with the 5X chimney viewer.

Wilson

Wilson,

You really must stop tempting me to expand my collection of gear. I am already being tempted by Contax as I have acquired a Contax zoom to try on my new M240. I think I will have to let my bank balance recover for a bit.

I expect that the moderators will think that we are straying from the topic of this thread so I will mention how useful an OUFRO is when placed between the M240 and the Leica Bellows as it allows access to the lens release button on the camera.

Within the past week, I also received the Jinfinance OUFRO. My decision to purchase and try this product was based on the inability to find a used Leica OUFRO for sale on EBay US for the past 5 months and the few listed had sold in the $180-200 USD range.

My initial impressions were that the finish was very good. On the Leica M (240) the fit was suboptimal in OUFRO to camera body. Although it would attach and the depth was not as issue, rotation was very tight. The OUFRO to lens attach was looser with very slight rotational play after lens "lock" with no for and aft or vertical play.

The major fit issue on the camera attachment end seemed to be the overall diameter perhaps the thickness of the chrome coating over the brass. With careful attachment and subsequent rotation there was some wear on the soft chrome and fit and rotation became increasingly easier. Total attachment and rotations about 5-7. I then applied a DuPont product which is a dry Teflon lubricant carefully to the rotation hub on the OUFRO. Although still slightly tight, it attaches, rotates and locks into place with acceptable mild effort. I expect as more wear occurs on the soft chrome plating with use this will improve further.

Function in a few test shots was as expected, and totally acceptable. It is, just a spacer tube. My example, in conclusion, is usable but suffered some fit issues. I will be keeping it and using it.

Caveat emptor indeed. All of us who use lens adapters and/or extension tubes, should read this article LensRentals.com - There Is No Free Lunch, Episode 763: Lens Adapters . I have to admit since changing from the hopeless Lolli Contax to Leica M adapter, which allowed the lens to wobble up and down like a piece of wet spaghetti, to a Novoflex, I cannot see any problems printing to A3+ from the M240. Maybe I am not being critical enough or I got a very good Novoflex adapter. Since changing from a no-name Leica M to μ4/3rd's to a Metabones adapter, for use on my Olympus EP-5, I have not noticed any problems there either.

Wilson