135/4 teleElmar vs 135 apo (moved)

DaveEP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wilson, thanks for posting the photo of the Visoflex setup. I was actually wondering what it would look like. What magnification does the bellows give?

I am still trying to understand the Visoflex concept and had a look in the Wiki. Is it right that it is possible to mount the lens head on the Visoflex directly, without bellows, using the OTZFO? If so, the macro setup is even quite portable.

With the OTZFO (aka 16464) you can mount it directly on the Viso 2/3, but need also the 16472 tube (otherwise, all the combo is too short) : the macro usage, in this configuration, is not so significant... is a "reflex camera" with a 135 that focuses from infinity to 1:5 ratio.

(it's like the setup you obtained with the "old" 135s Hektor/Elmar with their "short mounts" for Viso)

With the Leitz Bellows II you of course have more extension, and the lenshead on 16472 tube (with the 16558 ring to bellows' "mouth") focuses from infinity to 1:1,4 ratio (I don't know if the Novoflex bellows depicted by Wilson has the same extension).

But, of course, with the bellows you have other possibilities to further extend the reproduction ratio... 16472s can be coupled... and you also can mount the complete "long" 135 (not the lenshead only) with proper adapters etc...

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Enjoy your 135 Mark. I purchased one last week as well. Great lens. I have found though, that the forum topic about gear lash is absolutely correct (although I need to focus from infinity) with this lens. My keeper rate goes from 30% to 90% just buy turning the focus ring the opposite direction. I don't completely understand why, but it's consistantly repeatable.

I've also found that a few of my other lenses react in a similar, but less dramatic fasion. Even my CV 35 1.2 has a higher hit rate if I focus in one direction over the other.

Gordon

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Hi

I have the f4 Tele Elmar 135mm and bought it new 40 years ago. I used it several times and wasted a lot of film as I just could not get it to focus properly. I recently bought a leica M10 and the EVF ....now I can focus with pin prick accuracy and I am overwhelmed by this lens. It really is great and adds a new dimension to making portraits for example while being small enough to carry around.

I over Christmas went to a Leica dealer and tried out a second hand f2.8 135mm complete with goggles, and was not impressed and I am told that the f4 lens is actually a better lens. So I tried a brand new APO 135mm and it is more contrasty but otherwise I do not see a significant difference to my old f4 Tele Elmar . I asked an expert on Leica lenses and he confirms my observations. Sure the APO is a more recent lens and as such a little better in terms of focus and contrast and probably colour rendering but the old Leica lenses again in my view remain amazing.

I am seeing this phenomena quite a lot when you compare old Leica glass with the latest offerings from Leica ....even forgetting the prices of new lenses for a moment.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Triumph,

Newly put opinions, 135mm here, that go in same direction:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/280501-135mm-f4-tele-elmar-vs-new-135mm-apo-f34/

Anyway, M10 + Visoflex 020 + tele lenses is the best way to rediscover those oldies.

If you have opportunity to try R lenses (with adapter R to M), they are nice also.

With the OTZFO (aka 16464) you can mount it directly on the Viso 2/3, but need also the 16472 tube (otherwise, all the combo is too short) : the macro usage, in this configuration, is not so significant... is a "reflex camera" with a 135 that focuses from infinity to 1:5 ratio.

(it's like the setup you obtained with the "old" 135s Hektor/Elmar with their "short mounts" for Viso)

With the Leitz Bellows II you of course have more extension, and the lenshead on 16472 tube (with the 16558 ring to bellows' "mouth") focuses from infinity to 1:1,4 ratio (I don't know if the Novoflex bellows depicted by Wilson has the same extension).

But, of course, with the bellows you have other possibilities to further extend the reproduction ratio... 16472s can be coupled... and you also can mount the complete "long" 135 (not the lenshead only) with proper adapters etc...

Hello Luigi,

The 16472 tube is for using the lens head of a 135mm Elmar or Hektor on a 16464 or a Visoflex II, IIa & III when focusing from Infinity to 1.5 meters.

The Tele-Elmar attaches to the 16464 or Visoflex II, IIa & III without any intermediate tube necessary between Infinity & 1.5 meters. Unless you want to add 1 or more 16471 tubes for added lens extension.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht