The X-Vario in use

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So after some more days to work with this camera I thought I would share my views.

Firstly lets start with notes/development points:

1. I am using the Olympus VF2. It works fine, if a bit grainy after the excellent RX1 EVF.

It could be because I have a big nose, but I keep hitting the play button with my nose. This has resulted in lost pictures wasting time trying to cycle back out of play. It would be great to be able to disable this button.

Whilst talking about the play button, with other user interface quirks, it would be good if the play button took it out of play, instead of having to press the shutter button.

2. No button customisation is possible. Although this fits in with the Leica "minimalist" philosophy it would be nice to reassign the arrow and centre buttons, particularly the bottom direction which is unused.

3. There is no AE lock button. Again this could be easily solved with customisation even if it was just the info button. I current get around this using shutter speed dial after using the internal light meter (aka. M6) but, although great fun, it is not the most efficient workflow. Note that the problem I am trying to solve here is to have the point of exposure meetering off a different point to the focus.

4. I am getting used to the menu system. I would still prefer it to be designed more conventionally, i.e. the menu button goes back and does not select. Although I see the advantages for extra security, e.g. on deleting pictures.

5. I am not sure if the camera is doing any predictive focus. i.e. if a subject is moving away or towards you, if the camera predicts where it will be between the second depression of the shutter button and a full depression if pressed down in one go. There are some other cameras that do do this.

My moving subject in-sharp-focus rate is going up however, and usually involves looking for a high contrast patch on the subject whilst keeping the camera dead still. Otherwise one uses normal techniques such as prefocusing (e.g. on the line between two pavements).

6. Autofocus is not super-fast, but doesn't seem to alter much when the light falls, which is a good thing.

7. Focus-peaking - hello Leica firmware update please !!!

8. Auto-ISO. I think the slowest speed (for minimum to change) is too restrictive at 1/30. I would prefer going up much higher, say to 1/160.

9. I would like many of the menu options to have more choices, e.g. for video there are two quality settings. the video is actually excellent (for what I know about video) but I would like to have lower quality choices for quick videos (the lowest is 720P at 30fps).

Positive points

1. Great build quality

2. Lovely lens constuction and usage

3. Excellent MF design

4. Leica colours, but actually better then I have seen before (except M240 or S which I haven't used).

5. Dials and workflow nicely done.

6. Excellent LCD screen

7. Video quality really very good.

8. Easy to understand menu and well laid out menus

9. Shadow recovery very good. Not D800E or 6D standards but not that far behind.

10. ISO Noise excellent - Up to ISO 800 any difference is hardly noticeable. At ISO 1600 grain becomes evident but still very good all round. At ISO 3200 grain becomes more noticeable and the wrong exposure can make detail hard to recover. However it is still very useable, I would say equivalent to ISO 1600 on the Canon 6D, which has excellent ISO performance. I have not tried ISO 6400 yet.

Lastly the Leica half-case is pretty good, a change from normal...

I spoke to someone from Leica who informed me that they are bringing in different designers for their cases now and admitted the past embarassments, e.g. on the every-ready's!

In terms of comparison to the M9, which has been mentioned alot, the picture out of the box is not as sharp, due to the AA filter (albeit a noticeably weaker one then the X2). However pictures react well to the sharpening system in Lightroom and can take a surprising amount before fracturing.

Here are some samples.

Please note I am a complete amateur so these are examples only.

Also note these are flickr reductions in size. Unfortunately flickr is not the best at clean reductions. the Lightroom output I produced at 1280 is above the allowed resolution in this forum:

Colours:

9232460607_439645bd33_b_d.jpg

Detail: Original:

9232465805_0e2bace442_b_d.jpg

Detail: Pixel level enlargement

9232465023_686d57bb30_b_d.jpg

Moving target:

9232459471_22ef7f90cc_b_d.jpg

best rgds

Edited by colonel
  • Like 11

Harold -

Thank you for the well thought out comments and instructive, attractive photos.

You can avoid the Flickr reduction probelms (and the too often happening failure of Flickr images to display after a while), and match forum rules by just saving another copy of the images at 1024 pixels.

• Like 3

Is that cut-out on the front of the half case really just to show the red dot or is there a button in the vicinity?

Just to show the dot I'm afraid.

9227001870_75ebb6e2aa_z_d.jpg

Actually the case raises the height by around 5mm, as most half-cases do, which makes the camera more imposing.

Therefore for more subtle work I would take it off.

I didn't mention the silent (almost) shutter above, which is very useful.

Edited by colonel

Just to show the dot I'm afraid.

9227001870_75ebb6e2aa_z_d.jpg

Actually the case raises the height by around 5mm, as most half-cases do, which makes the camera more imposing.

Therefore for more subtle work I would take it off.

I didn't mention the silent (almost) shutter above, which is very useful.

red dot plus olympus viewfinder, also o.k. / thats my privileged version

wbr -kmhb- klaus-michael

thanks

43mm

Oddly its not noted in any Leica technical papers or the manual, I had to check with the Leica shop.

My Leica dealer said that Leica do not presently produce a 43 mm UV filter, but they used to and I went away with an old 43 mm Leica filter. The only problem with this old filter was a shallow lip at the front which meant that the supplied lens cap on the X vario could not be used.

My Leica dealer said that Leica do not presently produce a 43 mm UV filter, but they used to and I went away with an old 43 mm Leica filter. The only problem with this old filter was a shallow lip at the front which meant that the supplied lens cap on the X vario could not be used.

I think you need no filter....

I think you've just convinced me to finally sell off my Pentax K5 and pancakes, and get this instead for travelling. I like that it is almost the same size as a film M. I did say to friends, when I sold off the M8, that I will never buy a Leica digital camera again until they come out with one that is the same size as a film M, after all.

When I tried it, I found that the X Vario is roughly the same as my M6 with 75mm Summarit attached. Nice.

• Like 1

I think you've just convinced me to finally sell off my Pentax K5 and pancakes, and get this instead for travelling. I like that it is almost the same size as a film M. I did say to friends, when I sold off the M8, that I will never buy a Leica digital camera again until they come out with one that is the same size as a film M, after all.

When I tried it, I found that the X Vario is roughly the same as my M6 with 75mm Summarit attached. Nice.

good luck. remember to give a demo camera a thorough going over in a shop

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
thanks

43mm

Oddly its not noted in any Leica technical papers or the manual, I had to check with the Leica shop.

After purchasing the X Vario, I had to ring Leica to find out the filter size. Then I rang a supplier to order one and he informed me it is engraved into the rear of the lens cap.:)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
someone asked for an example of low light photography, this is @ ISO 3200 and 1/20:

9258685552_7a605e66de_b_d.jpg

This camera has easely dethroned my 5D Mark 3 at hi ISO shooting. He image quality it produces at such a high ISO is only comparable to film.

Amazing amazing little gem.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Have just caught up on this thread and want to thank "Colonel" for your very good comments.

Sad there was so much scepticism at the outset: you photos - not least the 3200 ISO one ! - are the best advert. I love the muted colour this camera produces on standard film setting (I only do jpegs superfine so far) - marvellous for wintry landscapes. Also relevant is that the camera is a sheer joy to hold and operate: I got the handgrip free in a special deal, but even without it is good.

• Like 1

Guest DrPix

Come on! Amateur? You´re joking. There´s a considerable editing skill behind these samples. Excellent! Lightroom fits XVario like a glove!

Edited by DrPix