screenpatronus BEWARE !

albertknappmd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Over the years, I have purchased LED screen plastic protectors from a company in New Jersey called Screenpatronus Policies of ScreenPatronus, Screen protector - the difference is amazing. for my M8, M9P, R8-9 DMRs and most recently my S2. The clear plastic protectors were adverstised as safe and guarranteed against workmanship defects.

I would apply them prior to a trip and then removed them when storing the camera.

I recently returned form 10 days in Icleand with my S2 and found that the protector had left a very perceptable and indellible film on the LED.

I sent the camera to Leica as the film was very obvious and even they could not remove it! I ended up having to replace the LED which cost about $1200.00 (USD)

I contacted Screenpatronus and explained the problem. At first, they stated that I was not in their "customer base" and had never purchased the item from them. I emailed a copy of the purchase order and then they "found me". I then forwarded a detailed screed stating how and when the protector was applied, how previous protectors ahd never had a problem and, as a physician, how meticulous my technique has and had always bee.. The representative at Screenpatronus eventually responded to my inquiry stating that I had probably misapplied the screen protector and that the film/residue was "my fault". Furthermore, they stated that I had purchased the product several years ago and that it was not under warranty. In fact, the "warranty" was only for 30 days after purchase!

To add insult to injury, they then implied that if I told my story to the camera community they would refer the issue to their attorneys.

I informed the hapless Screenpatronus representative that I was weighing my legal options and was not going to be cowed by their clumsy threats... Furthermore, I reminded them that the First Amendment to the Constitution still applies!

Please draw your own conclusions and caveat emptor! :mad::mad::mad:

Albert

• Like 3

Albert, sorry to hear about this extremely unpleasant experience. I had a similar problem with an adhesive screen protector on my M9 earlier this year, but I managed to remove all the residue using a cloth soaked with white spirit. It was hard work, taking about an hour and some seriously hard scrubbing. The screen looked like new afterwards, surprisingly, but I learned my lesson, gave up on adhesive screen protectors, and got the sapphire screen upgrade.

Caveat emptor indeed and I am saddened to hear of your problem. For anyone else reading this, I think you give great warning. On a more positive note, screen protectors made with a clear 3M product film which comes in different thicknesses and uses a proprietary extremely thin adhesive/static mounting system are totally safe and leave no residue. Lexard in NJ sells precut product to fit a variety of display screens including the S2 and the new M (240) as well as the M9.

So, when one buys a new mobile phone or whatever, and there is a protective plastic film to peel off various parts, does that have an adhesive coating? And did it peel off easily simply because it hadn't been on that long? Does anyone make something like that?

So, when one buys a new mobile phone or whatever, and there is a protective plastic film to peel off various parts, does that have an adhesive coating? And did it peel off easily simply because it hadn't been on that long? Does anyone make something like that?

Hoodman Hoodskins

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Albert,

This is really nothing more than bully boy tactics from Screenpatronus.

It's not entirely clear where you are, or what your local legislative environment is, but most places in the world have consumer protection legislation and common law rules on this sort of thing.

Here is a summary of what is reasonably common:

(1) pre-contractual representation - if a product is sold with assurances (eg, safe to use on your camera), and it does not live up to those assurances it is a breach of contract

(2) warranty of fitness for purpose - generally implied by statute, and common law

(3) Consumer Guarantees Act or similar - this is consumer protection legislation, which cannot be contracted out of

Now, for the take responsibility for yourself / free market / this is no place for the State brigade, the reason for this sort of protection is the power imbalance between the producer, and the buyer of a relatively modestly priced product.

If you can establish one of the protections above (actually, it's reasonably easy - download the marketing material from the website as a start), the next question is what will you get?

For breach of contract, you should get back the cost of the product and the cost of replacing your LCD on your S2. Unless (you knew this was coming) consequential damage is excluded from any written warranty or contract terms, or Screenpatronus has limited their liability to the cost of the protector. If it is the latter (it's usually the bit in bold and capitals, as US law requires any modification of your consumer protection rights to be drawn to your attention), then all you'll get is the cost of the protector. The assumption is that you insure your camera yourself.

You also get the benefit of telling the World that the product is not safe to be used on cameras, and just how bad they are as a company when it comes to standing behind their product.

I suspect it will vanish, and re-emerge under a new name somewhere else ...

• Like 1

Karl, unfortunately my experience with extreme residue was with a Lexard cover. It had been on my M9 for about 18 months, but nevertheless...

Weird. They definitely use the 3M stuff. I have had screen protectors on various devices including IPhones , first gen IPad and cameras. Occasionally had to change one and nothing a mild wipe with windex sprayed on a cloth or alcohol didn't remove and after drying a few seconds, application of another. The M(240) piece fit perfectly and was easy to remove and reposition.

Karl, yes I was surprised, too. The residue was initially so thick, that my M9 screen looked an opaque white after the cover's removal. Alarmingly, no amount of rubbing with saliva, the substance preferred by restorers (and by me) for cleaning delicate materials, could remove any of it.

Happily, I read somewhere in this forum that white spirit might do the trick without adverse consequences, and tried that. It worked.

I never contacted Lexard, and I still have one of their covers somewhere if anyone wants it. But I knew it was time to bite the bullet, stop worrying about covers or scratches, and go sapphire.

John, I suspect that a cover without some stronger form of adhesive would fall off too quickly.

• Like 1

Hoodman Hoodskins

Many thanks 120. I've just looked them up; they appear to be held in place with "positive ion mounting - no adhesive" . Presumably that is an implanted static charge (like an electret) that holds them on. If so wouldn't they fit the bill perfectly?

Adhesive of any form & description will dissolve in chloroform or if you want even more excitement in your life dichloromethane (AKA paint stripper). I would prefer chloroform also because the vapors tend to cause less anguish during/after application. (It used to be used as an anesthetic.)

Anyway, to avoid being accused of flippancy, chloroform is the best solvent I know for total removal of junk from a glass, quartz, coated lens etc. surface (NOT suitable for plastic screens). It has the interesting property of dewetting so that it leaves no stripes or spots, unlike methanol, alcohol, acetone, isopropyl-alcohol, 'thinner' = ethyl-acetate etc. The Leitz microscope servicing person visiting my lab used chloroform as his standard + cotton swabs & lab grade kleenex for cleaning very expensive equipment.

I am very surprised that Leica service did not resort to this method, known to those skilled in the art.

Well, I don't think the Lexard product will cause problems and suspect the residue issues are from partially decomposed plastic which can be a pain to deal with and require organic solvents on the strongish side. The 3M film I have used on painted surfaces to protect from rock dings and we have used them on F-16 canopies which are ridiculously expensive.

BUT BUT BUT ... Do I really want to take any chance?

The answer is hell no. Giottos are not available for the 240 so I just ordered ac ACMaxx and will take off the Lexard and go with that when it arrives.

Thanks guys.

Many thanks 120. I've just looked them up; they appear to be held in place with "positive ion mounting - no adhesive" . Presumably that is an implanted static charge (like an electret) that holds them on. If so wouldn't they fit the bill perfectly?

I use them on several cameras. I have a size for 2.5" screens that is discontinued, and am assuming the current hoodskins are the same material. I cut them just slightly smaller than the screen dimensions, am careful storing the cameras in the bag, and they stay on indefinitely. (Like 5 yrs. or more.) They are a little thicker than the protectors that come on cell phones, etc., and the view is clear. Peel the backing from a 1/4" strip and put that on, and roll them out by pulling on the backing; they come with a plastic spatula to help. I have not caught them leaving any marks.

• Like 1

What a disgrace of a company!

FWIW spray on furniture polish will also remove most adhesive films - but without the pleasant side effects of chloroform.

... and will leave your camera smelling as fresh as the morning dew.:D Or something like it.

Pete.

• Like 1