Leica X Vario Photos

Feudal1

Some great photos but for the money I can't help but think a 5D mk3 makes more all round sense.

You'd probably have to add a Leica R 28-90 Vario Elmar to the 5D Mk 3 to create as versatile a zoom outfit - and to be able to use the Canon camera's images as Leica Society entries or for Leica Forum posts.

And the 28-90 Vario Elmar would cost more than the X Vario ... and the whole combo would weigh considerably more.

dunk

You'd probably have to add a Leica R 28-90 Vario Elmar to the 5D Mk 3 to create as versatile a zoom outfit - and to be able to use the Canon camera's images as Leica Society entries or for Leica Forum posts.

And the 28-90 Vario Elmar would cost more than the X Vario ... and the whole combo would weigh considerably more.

dunk

My comment made as me (not an officer of the Leica Society). It would need a lens as well, which would make it a bit more expensive than the X Vario but a lot more flexible and for me at least the X Vario would essentially require the additional viewfinder.

What matters to me most is getting the image - not which sensor container I use to do that. If I can post it here or in TLS circles that may be a small bonus.

To be fair I took several pictures of the cricket match http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/sports-leisure-time/289681-hit-six.html on Saturday and the Leica shot was head and shoulders above the Canon one - BUT that was the one where the sun was shining. So overall I am still on the fence and thinking what to buy or if to buy at all.

ISO 1600 1/640sec f10 33.5mm (50.25 FF equiv.) - overcast lighting

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best wishes

dunk

• Like 2

Some low light photos taken in Winchester Cathedral with ISO set to AUTO (max 3200). Lighting is dim, variable and mixed. WB was set to AUTO. I didn't use flash. Developed normally in ACR - nothing drastic.

Thanks for posting; your pics have inspired me to plan a P'bor Cathedral interior walkabout with my X Vario ;)

dunk

• Like 1

For full details of set-up please see http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-x1-forum/290328-q-d-coin-photography-x-vario.html

All straight JPEGS with no post processing.

Best wishes

dunk

• Like 12

Lloyds Building in London

• Like 4

Beautiful flower with the very subtle nuances !

It is funny, I also come from poster very recently another pink here of another variety :

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/attachments/leica-d-lux-digilux-v-lux/384016d1372186541-do-digilux-2-photos-have-distinctive-l1040378-rose...rose.jpg

But with its ancestor Leica Digilux 2 (and Elpro-D)

• Like 3

That’s a lovely picture, Guytou.

Interesting that you make the connection between the X Vario and the Digilux 2. Sean Reid does the same. Apparently, these cameras have a designer in common, so maybe it’s to be expected that they will also share some of the same picture-making qualities.

That’s a lovely picture, Guytou.

Interesting that you make the connection between the X Vario and the Digilux 2. Sean Reid does the same. Apparently, these cameras have a designer in common, so maybe it’s to be expected that they will also share some of the same picture-making qualities.

I expected a current variation of Digilux 2, with in particular some pixels in more on the same sensor 2/3” and one more modern viewfinder.

But especially without modifying the exceptional optic of this Digilux 2 (Vario Summicron 28/90 - f.2/f2,4).

I will thus to think about at this X vario. But I am frustrated by the weak opening and the absence of viewfinder. Damage because the quality of the zoom appears excellent to me.

Guy

Edited by Guytou

I expected a current variation of Digilux 2, with in particular some pixels in more on the same sensor 2/3” and one more modern viewfinder.

But especially without modifying the exceptional optic of this Digilux 2 (Vario Summicron 28/90 - f.2/f2,4).

I will thus to think about at this X vario. But I am frustrated by the weak opening and the absence of viewfinder. Damage because the quality of the zoom appears excellent to me.

Guy

No manufacturer is likely to resurrect such a camera design especially as sensors and cameras and lenses have moved on a whole decade since the D2 was first available. And the D2 design was shared with the Panasonic DMC LC1 ... whereas the X Vario is a Leica original with no Panasonic counterpart. Leica seem committed to APS-C and FF for their own current cameras - as distinct from the smaller sensor PanaLeicas.

dunk

• Like 1

I know all that well.

I wished of course a larger sensor, the such APS-C of this X Vario, a zoom of quality which it seems to have, but for the rest (diaphargme and vidwfinder) I always remain in waiting.

Perhaps I think of a purchase but that me prevented not from photographing while waiting…;)

Guy

Ready...!

• Like 10