Leica X Vario Photos

Feudal1

Thanks for sharing. I like what I'm seeing from this camera. I wish (request) some one would do a studio shot, or at least a few photos using strobes- really feed the lens/sensor light to see how it renders in optimal conditions (it is how I would use it, if I end up getting it).

-- -- -- --

PS I think you didn't get the memo regarding the impossibility of taking night photos with the horrendously and restrictively slow lens featured in this camera :@)

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. I like what I'm seeing from this camera. I wish (request) some one would do a studio shot, or at least a few photos using strobes- really feed the lens/sensor light to see how it renders in optimal conditions (it is how I would use it, if I end up getting it).

-- -- -- --

PS I think you didn't get the memo regarding the impossibility of taking night photos with the horrendously and restrictively slow lens featured in this camera :@)

I have a friend who owns a camera shop with a studio, and another friend with access to reasonably priced models - I may see if I can get them to cut me a break on costs, to do some shooting in studio with the X Vario.

And you're right that I didn't get the memo about the impossibility of shooting in low light. :) This shot has almost no light - some ambient from the carnival, and a couple of strobes on stage that the band brought with them. The stage was fairly far out from the carnival itself, so any shot with any camera is going to be a challenge. And the band was moving around on staging, so I had to shoot with shutter priority in an attempt to reduce motion blur. Not a total success, but that's more my fault and the lighting conditions (which would be a challenge for any camera), than the camera itself. I did need to boost the shadows a bit to add some detail to the darkness, but otherwise, nothing else done to the OOC JPG.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Feudal1
  • Like 5

I just bought this camera yesterday..... take the time to familiarize yourself and it will reward you with excellent pictures.

I also work with my M9-P and the M Monochrom

All the details of this picture is in the meta tags

Very nice! And exactly my thoughts - as more people purchase this camera, and start to familiarize themselves with it, I think that most will find that the X Vario "sum is greater than its parts". I wish it had a built-in EVF, but otherwise, it's a fine camera.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pretty good, man. Thanks for sharing.

So you boosted the shadows in a jpeg file? I take it proper profiles aren't available yet for raw/DNG files (which is entirely normal for a new camera). I'm looking forward to seeing you guys putting this camera through its paces.

I have a friend who owns a camera shop with a studio, and another friend with access to reasonably priced models - I may see if I can get them to cut me a break on costs, to do some shooting in studio with the X Vario.

And you're right that I didn't get the memo about the impossibility of shooting in low light. :) This shot has almost no light - some ambient from the carnival, and a couple of strobes on stage that the band brought with them. The stage was fairly far out from the carnival itself, so any shot with any camera is going to be a challenge. And the band was moving around on staging, so I had to shoot with shutter priority in an attempt to reduce motion blur. Not a total success, but that's more my fault and the lighting conditions (which would be a challenge for any camera), than the camera itself. I did need to boost the shadows a bit to add some detail to the darkness, but otherwise, nothing else done to the OOC JPG.

Thanks for the early photos. The X Vario shots look more Digilux 2 than D-Lux 3. I owned both compacts at the same time, but then sold off the D-Lux and kept the Digilux as I felt the Digilux made "organic" looking images, soft yet sharp, while those from the D-Lux 3 had more of a hard, plastic sheen. This is making the Vario more and more favourable to me.

• Like 3

And you're right that I didn't get the memo about the impossibility of shooting in low light. :) This shot has almost no light - some ambient from the carnival, and a couple of strobes on stage that the band brought with them. The stage was fairly far out from the carnival itself, so any shot with any camera is going to be a challenge. And the band was moving around on staging, so I had to shoot with shutter priority in an attempt to reduce motion blur. Not a total success, but that's more my fault and the lighting conditions (which would be a challenge for any camera),

Hello iam very interested in Xvario as it could be Digilux2 of this decade.

Which Iso, shutter.

Was software imagestabilisation turned off (turn on is camera takes two shots)

How many shots did you take, how many were blurred and how many were discarded.

Would you have the time to photograph say dusk evening street, dusk evening inside a bar, peoples natural motions,

noting iso, shutter, number of photos non blurred vs blurred.

Edited by onceuponatime

Feudal1

I am happy with the results.... Leica wanted to create a camera that was not intended for sports coverage or many nighttime handheld shots.... What they did build is a camera that has a great color sensor with a very sharp zoom lens adapted to awell finished body.... I would not compare this to a point and shoot...this camera is in the line of Leica's traditional high quality glass.

• Like 1

Feudal1

I am happy with the results.... Leica wanted to create a camera that was not intended for sports coverage or many nighttime handheld shots.... What they did build is a camera that has a great color sensor with a very sharp zoom lens adapted to awell finished body.....

The colour from Digiulx2 were the best i had seen from digital cameras incuding skintones. Xvario seems similar. Hopefully more photos of people will be posted.

Though a still am concerned about 70mm f6.4 as i tend to use 70mm a lot, (actually more 90mm which i can mimic by cropping 70mm).

Light and shade, atmosphere, overcast moddy weather is where im at.

Static subjects will be fine, yet for people moving if it needs to be iso3200-6400 to get 1/60-1/100 ...

This will be my last picture to give a chance to others to post there findings with the X Vario.

This morning I wanted to test the auto white balance on the camera..... this shot was taken under the kitchen pantry lit by fluorescents.

The specs are: ISO 800, F4.5, 1/60 and zoom set the equivalent of 38mm handheld.

The white balance performance is really quite good with the X Vario, especially compared to other cameras that I have owned that have been pretty bad.

Q&D using very dull ambient window light ... 3.2 secs f12 ISO 400 at 70mm setting

dunk

• Like 13

A brief test of the camera this morning revealed I like the camera more than I thought. Great quality, easy to use and very good results.

• Like 9